BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody rode the low and high version?
In regards to handling which one is the best?

Noel

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the “lowering rubber bushings” on eBay to flat foot, throw the own height ones in the tank bag for touring- same seat, all good

·
8,227 Posts
It depends on your ergos, not others. If you have long legs, need taller seat; shorter legs, shorter seat to have optimal distance from rearset pegs to your hips.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone, I took a test ride on a high version, I’m over 6’ so touching the ground wasn’t a problem but it felt kind weird when flipping the bike from one side to the other.
I didn’t to get ride it very long and there was a lot of traffic, so I don’t know if I need to ride it a bit longer
Was wondering if the lower center of gravity of the low version would improve the handling
Noel

·
8,227 Posts
Handling is mainly improved with right suspension setup and geometry. Few track sessions or 200m trip on a bike with a seat too low is more risky than worrying about lowering COG.
Get the taller seat, stay tucked in if worried about COG.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Handling is mainly improved with right suspension setup and geometry. Few track sessions or 200m trip on a bike with a seat too low is more risky than worrying about lowering COG.
Get the taller seat, stay tucked in if worried about COG.
in case you missed it, OP is talking about a 2020 XR

·
8,227 Posts
^ What I said would still apply. Thanks for the reminder it's an XR, I did miss it.
Can still tuck in on an XR, one can go pretty fast on an XR.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
^ yep, what you say above is true, but you're earlier comments were definitely directed at it being a RR /race bike👍

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to clarify, and I apologize for any misunderstanding, I’m not asking about seat height, but suspension height
The low version has ~1” less travel front and rear (and height)
This should lower the center of gravity and possibly change trail if the center axis of the triple trees (in the frame) is not parallel to the fork axis in the triple trees
I just sold my k1200s, and was thinking about buying the XR (I have 2010 RR and 2018 GS Rallie as well)
Test rode the new XR and it felt high to me and little weird when changing directions from one side to the other
Quite honestly I’m asking if anybody has rode both versions (high and low suspension) of the new XR and noticed any difference on handling
Noel

·
8,227 Posts
You're referring to lowering option (shorter spring and lower seat). I did not ride it. Mainly aimed at shorter people to have more reach. Losing suspension travel and ground clearance will be a trade off in other areas depending where you ride (touring, off road, twisties). If you have long legs you would want the standard height option. All adventure bikes like XR, Africa twin... are tall for a reason.

If you can flat foot the standard height one, you can have the suspension dialed to handle well without lowering, use the low seat (not low suspension) if needed.
Finally, only way to know is to ask your dealership if you can demo a bike with lowering option. Call dealerships around you and ask. The XR is a great bike!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I have a 2021 lower version XR; I've put a few thousand miles on it at this point. I recommend you get the tall version if your inseam is long enough to feel comfortable on it (not my case). With my low version, I had to remove the peg feelers immediately because they were dragging so much; I've bottomed out the suspension occasionally; and I've hit the CAT assembly a couple of times going over sharp speed bump and rough road situations. I have replaced my low seat with a comfort seat for more leg room; with this setup, low suspension + comfort seat, my 30" inseam has me on the balls of my feet when sitting on the bike.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jerry, your response was very helpful
Have you tried a track day with the XR yet?
Noel

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Not yet, but I will once I'm traveling again. I also have an RR, but after 2000 miles on the XR, the RR is just plain uncomfortable to ride. It's my backup bike and, I thought it would be my track bike, but now I'm thinking I'll need to get something else.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not yet, but I will once I'm traveling again. I also have an RR, but after 2000 miles on the XR, the RR is just plain uncomfortable to ride. It's my backup bike and, I thought it would be my track bike, but now I'm thinking I'll need to get something else.
My RR has been acting up lately, where I had to leave several track days earlier. I debated replacing it with a new RR , but I believe I have the demons worked out now and my plan was to use the XR as a back up and do some sport touring as well.
After you’re response and an in depth discussion with my dealer I change my XR order to high from low, which was possible because, due to COVID I do not have spot in production yet.
Thanks as again
Noel

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Glad I was able to help. Once again I hit my Cat on a speed bump yesterday; that makes a total of 5 times in 2400 miles. I'm beginning to think I should have got the high version despite my inseam challenge, but I really didn't want to be tippy-toeing. I hope you get a production slot soon.

·
Registered
2019 S1000XR
6 Posts
I test rode the standard XR and then purchased a 19 XR lowered with aftermarket links and the forks slid up. I am not sure how much the bike has been lowered but at least an inch [or more].
I have had no problem dragging the cat yet, and this should not be a problem with the suspension set to a higher setting.
If your inseam is 32" or more, go with the standard [high] bike. If less, you should be more comfortable on the lowered version.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts