BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My left grip has developed a small play and I can twist it a few degrees. Any idea on how to tighten it?

·
Registered
669 Posts
My left grip has developed a small play and I can twist it a few degrees. Any idea on how to tighten it?
Pull back grip a little bit and you will see what you have to tighten. Do not over tighten as it can crack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I guess, but the grip needs to be tight to begin with right? Lock wire is more of a safety thing rather than primary mechanism imho.
I mean best way, cut it and replace with ProGrip or Domino

Use lady hair spray to seat it on clipon

After that lock wire it

·
Registered
823 Posts
Is the grip itself loose, or does the whole assembly move on the bar?

If the later, there is a bolt through the bar that holds the assembly in place (at least on a 2020). If the nut comes off the end of the bolt then the assembly can move on the bar. The bolt/nut are just under the tall edge of the grip. As Pipes notes above, you can pull back the grip a bit and see.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the grip itself loose, or does the whole assembly move on the bar?

If the later, there is a bolt through the bar that holds the assembly in place (at least on a 2020). If the nut comes off the end of the bolt then the assembly can move on the bar. The bolt/nut are just under the tall edge of the grip. As Pipes notes above, you can pull back the grip a bit and see.
The whole assembly moves. Will check the nut/bolt this weekend.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I guess, but the grip needs to be tight to begin with right? Lock wire is more of a safety thing rather than primary mechanism imho.
I don’t think it’s the grip itself moving it’s that part with the screw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
See this post:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See this post:
Awesome. T15 and the location. Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
2017 rr
236 Posts
When I took my bike in to a mechanic over the top end noise, whiich he said was quiet compared to many, I mentioned that the LH grip assembly was loose, he said it was nothing to worry about and that it was normal. Take that for what it's worth but the guy knew these bikes inside out. He basically sent me away because there were no issues whereas he could have quite easily put it in and checked the cams on the computer, charged me a couple of hundred and then told me all was fine. I'll be interested to hear how you get on though if you decide to go in there and tighten bolts etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I took my bike in to a mechanic over the top end noise, whiich he said was quiet compared to many, I mentioned that the LH grip assembly was loose, he said it was nothing to worry about and that it was normal. Take that for what it's worth but the guy knew these bikes inside out. He basically sent me away because there were no issues whereas he could have quite easily put it in and checked the cams on the computer, charged me a couple of hundred and then told me all was fine. I'll be interested to hear how you get on though if you decide to in there and tighten bolts etc.
I once had my right hand clip on fall off before a turn after a straight. I have ptsd about my handlebars moving…🥺

·
Registered
436 Posts
When you tighten up the screw put a small drop of loctite blue on the end with the nut, otherwise can come loose again as I found out.
Its not normal to have it move around, but its likely just the vibrations that make it come loose.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
It's technically a safety issue. Seen the bolts but can never find the correct size screw driver and lose interest until next time riding. Would think it should be covered under warranty if you wanted to be lazy or wait for next service from stealership.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts