BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ugh.... I'll report my findings when i test next time I ride. I'm going to do my part and keep complaining to the dealer about any issues the bike has. BMW needs to hear us.
Yes. With the air intake display as well.
Today I put a strip of tape over front intake to confirm that those pops are indeed backfires. My experience in the past when tuning point EFI cars (basically a carb with EFI jets) is that backfires like these could potentially burn the air filter if a flame front gets high enough up the intake runner -- although these don't seem that bad.

This is all because the ECU is trying to ignite unspent fuel in the exhaust manifold to get heat in the cats. Every US bike must run the same catalytic heating procedure, so I can't imagine why only some bikes are affected. I can't imagine this being only a software issue.

·
Vendor
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Today I put a strip of tape over front intake to confirm that those pops are indeed backfires. My experience in the past when tuning point EFI cars (basically a carb with EFI jets) is that backfires like these could potentially burn the air filter if a flame front gets high enough up the intake runner -- although these don't seem that bad.

This is all because the ECU is trying to ignite unspent fuel in the exhaust manifold to get heat in the cats. Every US bike must run the same catalytic heating procedure, so I can't imagine why only some bikes are affected. I can't imagine this being only a software issue.

Its not only a software issue. BMW is a multi billion dollar company with engineers at their disposal to resolve any issue that would be as simple as a software update. BMW as already tried 4 times since September 2019 to resolve the issue. The bad is if you adjust target AFR's in one area, then it effects another area worse. BMW knows there is a throttle body imbalance of some kind and up to now a very costly recall if they really try to resolve the hardware side of this. Split throttle bodies have their own issues it appears when trying to be used in an OEM mass market production environment vs the race track where 100% WOT is more the norm than putting around town at 10%-40% throttle.

Reactions: bennymx

·
Registered
4 Posts
After the first service and about 600 miles on my 2020 M, I too am seeing the cold start issue. I am running SW version 021_004_040.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After the first service and about 600 miles on my 2020 M, I too am seeing the cold start issue. I am running SW version 021_004_040.
Thanks for the data point. Crazy that after a year, they still can’t fix the issue. So embarrassing my 24k motorcycle keeps stalling and can’t even start up normally.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Well the software update did not fix the coldstart issue at all. The bike did not shut off on me but it was hunting.

I did have a Bluetooth issue that looks like it was not repaired. While riding my music just pause randomly. It would not unpause from the bike. I actually had to press play on the phone then everything worked fine.
I had that issue prior. It did not do it all the time but enough to stand out.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I don't even care about it. It's a minor inconvenience that doesn't change my purchase decision. But each to their own.
I agree. I knew about all of these little nuances prior to getting the bike. I was just hoping they would have gotten it sorted out by now. They had a Headstart with the Bluetooth from their other bikes..

to all that complain to their dealers about it remember that the dealer is not the one who designed and built the bike. Just try to get them to file a complaint to BMW but don’t get mad at them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree. I knew about all of these little nuances prior to getting the bike. I was just hoping they would have gotten it sorted out by now. They had a Headstart with the Bluetooth from their other bikes..

to all that complain to their dealers about it remember that the dealer is not the one who designed and built the bike. Just try to get them to file a complaint to BMW but don’t get mad at them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Lol. That's definitely one way to deal with it. The dealers need BMW NA to report it to AG. Or nothing happens. They need bulk reports to AG before anything happens. But if the bone heads from NA don't care then you're cooked. Hence why AU was lucky they had someone like me who gave a sh1t. Not anymore. No one cares. Maybe I need to get into NA and approve all the forums warranty claims :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Lol. That's definitely one way to deal with it. The dealers need BMW NA to report it to AG. Or nothing happens. They need bulk reports to AG before anything happens. But if the bone heads from NA don't care then you're cooked. Hence why AU was lucky they had someone like me who gave a sh1t. Not anymore. No one cares. Maybe I need to get into NA and approve all the forums warranty claims :ROFLMAO:
Go for it! You can use all of us as a character reference when you apply

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.

My bike started getting the cold start issues after around 1500km.( I live in Cairns so it doesn't really get cold 🤣😂 ) It has just been in for new software which hasn't cured the problem and this issue is under investigation by BMW. So far there is no solution as far as I know. I will update again when I hear back from BMW sometime in the future....
Hi

Just an update on my cold start issues. This could just be a big coincidence so make of it what you like. I recently changed my stock exhaust to an Akropovic slip on and since the bike has been starting first time with no issues apart from a slight pop once in a while. No tuning or anything else changed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any difference after the update? Did it fix the problem?
Nope and I wrote this bike off. Have a new one ready to go again in the garage when I get my licence back. I think it will be the same!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.

My bike started getting the cold start issues after around 1500km.( I live in Cairns so it doesn't really get cold 🤣😂 ) It has just been in for new software which hasn't cured the problem and this issue is under investigation by BMW. So far there is no solution as far as I know. I will update again when I hear back from BMW sometime in the future....
Let me update you all on how this IDLE / Start up issue has been for BMWAG.

The issue of this COLD start / Idle issue has occurred to many stock K67. It was hard to prove until now, BMWAG has released a PUMA report on the issue. When the dealers have finally seen enough of these issues BMWAG responds with a report to give some direction on the fix. I just got the report 12/20/19 .. I think I have seen about 3 posted on the forum they have the start up issue, and in Texas, only one guy has it really bad. I have asked him a few times to come over and let me work on his to try to resolve with software or hardware fix if I can even find what differences there are between mine and his, but he is a busy guy and don’t ride street that much over to north Dallas.

I remember when I first got my K67 it fired right up no issues every time. 650 miles later and I had the XWORKS tune going, and same result. Fired right up every time. Now the “other K67” here in DFW, his stock ECU never started good. This was in 77 degree early morning temps, and it still did not start/idle well. He even went to the dealer and they tried adaptations reset, it still did not work well. When he got XWORKS tuned, it started ok for a few hundred miles. Then it went back to starting and idling poorly. By now the temp in the morning is 65 degrees. I have never been given the opportunity to fix this issue still. I am sure that programming on the start up tables is a great solution to fix this one bike with this issue locally. Then that fix becomes the cookie cutter fix for 2000+ future K67’s that might not even have the problem. Or, I be sure to ask, “hey does your K67 start and idle fine at this time” Answer is no, I use ECU EXWERKS – V2 ( new name future website EXWERKS ) .

So here is my position on it. I still think it is some kind of hardware issue. BMWAG has created a software Band-Aid starting back July 1 2019. That did not work and created another software fix December 9th 2019. I have not tested this December 9th 2019 ECU update yet. I have it now so I will test it this next week to see how it reacts on my K67. With positive results, or, no change detected on mine, I will pull the start up fueling tables from that code and put into EXWERKS - V2 coding starting January 10th2020. The UPDATE is FREE. If you are having a startup issue with your current code, I will reload and retest your ECU on my K67. I will pay for the return shipping also. Also along the lines of pricing for EXWERKS – V2 see this thread > ( I have not created it yet, so I will update this in a few days too, or PM me today and lets talk. )

After fitting an akrapovic short slip on this issue disappeared. Occasional one pop on start .

21 - 37 of 37 Posts