BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me update you all on how this IDLE / Start up issue has been for BMWAG.

The issue of this COLD start / Idle issue has occurred to many stock K67. It was hard to prove until now, BMWAG has released a PUMA report on the issue. When the dealers have finally seen enough of these issues BMWAG responds with a report to give some direction on the fix. I just got the report 12/20/19 .. I think I have seen about 3 posted on the forum they have the start up issue, and in Texas, only one guy has it really bad. I have asked him a few times to come over and let me work on his to try to resolve with software or hardware fix if I can even find what differences there are between mine and his, but he is a busy guy and don’t ride street that much over to north Dallas.

I remember when I first got my K67 it fired right up no issues every time. 650 miles later and I had the XWORKS tune going, and same result. Fired right up every time. Now the “other K67” here in DFW, his stock ECU never started good. This was in 77 degree early morning temps, and it still did not start/idle well. He even went to the dealer and they tried adaptations reset, it still did not work well. When he got XWORKS tuned, it started ok for a few hundred miles. Then it went back to starting and idling poorly. By now the temp in the morning is 65 degrees. I have never been given the opportunity to fix this issue still. I am sure that programming on the start up tables is a great solution to fix this one bike with this issue locally. Then that fix becomes the cookie cutter fix for 2000+ future K67’s that might not even have the problem. Or, I be sure to ask, “hey does your K67 start and idle fine at this time” Answer is no, I use ECU EXWERKS – V2 ( new name future website EXWERKS ) .

So here is my position on it. I still think it is some kind of hardware issue. BMWAG has created a software Band-Aid starting back July 1 2019. That did not work and created another software fix December 9th 2019. I have not tested this December 9th 2019 ECU update yet. I have it now so I will test it this next week to see how it reacts on my K67. With positive results, or, no change detected on mine, I will pull the start up fueling tables from that code and put into EXWERKS - V2 coding starting January 10th2020. The UPDATE is FREE. If you are having a startup issue with your current code, I will reload and retest your ECU on my K67. I will pay for the return shipping also. Also along the lines of pricing for EXWERKS – V2 see this thread > ( I have not created it yet, so I will update this in a few days too, or PM me today and lets talk. )

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've never had the problem either before or after Brentuning flash. My RR always starts and idles perfectly. It's interesting how much variation there appears to be. I'm now at 4500 miles.

·
Registered
244 Posts
My bike didn't start doing doing it until around 600km of riding (delivered NYE). First service done yesterday and had some kind of software update. Will see.

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Working on too many other people stuff, I have not had a chance to try the Dec 15th release of ISTA+ . I have a K67 in the shop today that has a slight amount of bad idle, slight amount of popping in the air box. It only has 700 miles on it.

I will work with it so I dont have to mess with the programming on my K67. I have that SBK tuned ECU programming going in mine and when something is working as well as it is, you just dont want to mess with it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh mine banged really baaaad when she was cold. ECU Flash fixed that issue completely. Higher idle when cold and the bike is very happy .. guess I have to get the flash updated once this update comes out to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Wow, that PuMA definitely described what was happening to my bike, but doesn't explain the glowing catalytic converter. BMW said that they needed to replace a connector to the ignition coil... The dealer has had my bike since 11 Nov 2019....... Glad i live in Maryland and its wintertime, but I've been really upset at the couple of nice days that I wish i could've jumped into.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I've had glowing headers but never heard of a glowing catalytic converter. Hope it's not damaged as a result.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Sooooooooooo, got a call a few days ago that they replaced the connectors to the ignition coils. Not sure how many or which ones, but they say that the bike is operating properly and no glowing cat. We'll see....

(edited for relevance)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts