BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was riding my 2020 S 1000RR home on the 405 freeway. About 25 miles out I thought I detected a change in engine note. Coming from an RSV4 I thought it started to sound more like my previous V4, with a low ragged rumble engine note. No code on the dash and I was wearing earplugs so I just figured it was a combo of low-frequency road noise and the occlusion effect from the earplugs playing tricks on my hearing. This morning I started the bike up again and this time I convinced the engine note sound much more like a V4 than the normal 'tinny' I-4, as I attempted to exit my parking garage I noticed the bike was running like **** and I stalled twice. I was low on fuel ( 4 miles showing on fuel countdown) and attributed the rough running to that in my mind. As I went to accelerate the rough running became more noticeable and I think I could also detect a slight loss of power. After leaving eh gas station the rough running/ power loss was still there. I rode another 1/4 mile to my buddy's house where I stalled the bike for a 3rd time (never happens to me) while pulling into his driveway. After getting off my eyes were immediately drawn to the glowing red exhaust/cats. I checked the engine temp and it was at 183 degrees. From my parking garage to the gas station to my buddy's drive is less than 1/3 of a mile. My max speed was probably 35 mph, max rpm during this stint was less than 8k. Total running time including warm-up was less than 5 mins. I've only glowing red exhaust on bikes being run very hard on the dyno in videos. To confirm we waited 15 min for the bike to cool, then I took a short ride at less than 30 mph up the street and back. The result was the same, the exhaust/cat was glowing red again. I've shifted through a few threads indicating problems with faulty ignition coils and think this may be the issue but I'm confused as to why there aren't' any codes on the dash. Is this normal for those that have had ignition coil failure? Obviously, I'll be taking the bike in for service/ warranty repair next week, but wanted to get a better understanding if anyone can provide one.

·
Premium Member
4,141 Posts
Hmm . . . this can happen with a plugged/melted cat.

Is the bike stock?

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
100% coils. Take it to the dealer. Raw fuel is hitting the cat causing the glow because it is not being burnt. Coils will log a code in ISTA when scanned at the dealer. But they are not part of the bikes self diagnosis hence why you don't see anything on the dash. Also the coil will only log a fault in ISTA if it has a line disconnect. If the bike sees it connected but its actually failing it won't know that. It's not smart enough. Almost the same as a spark plug being faulty. Its not electronically monitored. A coil is, but only for voltage purposes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
100% coils. Take it to the dealer. Raw fuel is hitting the cat causing the glow because it is not being burnt. Coils will log a code in ISTA when scanned at the dealer. But they are not part of the bikes self diagnosis hence why you don't see anything on the dash. Also the coil will only log a fault in ISTA if it has a line disconnect. If the bike sees it connected but its actually failing it won't know that. It's not smart enough. Almost the same as a spark plug being faulty. Its not electronically monitored. A coil is, but only for voltage purposes.
That makes sense. I suspected it might be coil failure, but wanted to get a few opinions from those that may have endured this situation. Thank you.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
Coil .. typical is number 3 .. Software in ECU is not capable of detecting this issue and sitting SAE code P0303 nor P0300. However in some instances there is a coil error when you are trying to swap coils around trying to move the problem to figure out which coil it is. Still does not tell you which coil however.

Worked on 3 bikes locally with the issue.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Coil .. typical is number 3 .. Software in ECU is not capable of detecting this issue and sitting SAE code P0303 nor P0300. However in some instances there is a coil error when you are trying to swap coils around trying to move the problem to figure out which coil it is. Still does not tell you which coil however.

Worked on 3 bikes locally with the issue.
Have you seen any patterns on what causes the coils to fail?

·
Administrator
7,282 Posts
Have you seen any patterns on what causes the coils to fail?
I wouldn't think there was a pattern on brand new bikes. Just that the parts are sh1t quality and fail internally. Probably another cost cutting issue as we have never had that issue before on any other model other than the K1600 6 cylinder range. They have been known to fail.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
No pattern of cause. However I send read many reports from people and the only consistent issue was the distance of failure. Several happened in the 3000 mile to 5000 miles range.

BMWAG tried to blame it on a connector issue so on at least 3 resolutions the dealer tried only the connector was replaced. On one bike that lasted all of the test ride the tech did, and failed in the parking lot when the customer picked up the bike. That was a sad result of just trying the connector.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
No pattern of cause. However I send read many reports from people and the only consistent issue was the distance of failure. Several happened in the 3000 mile to 5000 miles range.

BMWAG tried to blame it on a connector issue so on at least 3 resolutions the dealer tried only the connector was replaced. On one bike that lasted all of the test ride the tech did, and failed in the parking lot when the customer picked up the bike. That was a sad result of just trying the connector.
Will they try and blame a coil failure on a flash?

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
This has happen on many Stock ECU bikes. You better never seek service at a BMW dealer with a flashed ECU even if it is just to change the oil. They still access the ECU to reset the oil service date and distance unless you tape up the OBDII connector and specify do not UPDATE my ECU for service.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This has happen on many Stock ECU bikes. You better never seek service at a BMW dealer with a flashed ECU even if it is just to change the oil. They still access the ECU to reset the oil service date and distance unless you tape up the OBDII connector and specify do not UPDATE my ECU for service.
I just flash back to stock and clear any shadow codes associated with loss of ecu communication with handheld when going between maps.

Never had a warranty claim denied as a result of being flashed. BMW would have to dig and review datalogs to find anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How are you clearing "shadow codes". Bren handheld?
I don't use the handheld for diagnostic use, I use my gs911. It's just communication error soft codes that I am clearing.

That said, even people who don't clear these soft codes have no issues with warranty. Just as long as its back to stock when going for dealer visits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the deal coil gang. Isn't a small but growing gang. I believe they said they found fuel in mine, don't ask how, I don't know.
Took 4 weeks for coils to come in.

·
Vendor
3,017 Posts
I keep 8 coils in stock at all times.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts