BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has made any geometry changes to their 2020 K67 setup? I mounted a set of Dunlop Q4 tires and noticed right away the bike became to agile for my liking. Specifically during corner entry, meaning it turns to fast and feeling really twitching/ sensitive to the slightest bar inputs. I often get the feeling that the bikes falls into the turn and wants to fall on it's side towards the inside of the corner. I've been trying to cure this issue by raising the front end (dropping the forks in the triple) 2mm at a time and testing for a change in feeling. Currently I'm running the fork tubes (gold tube) flush with the top of the upper triple. The silver fork cap is the only part visible. This adjustment helped but I still feel it turns to fast and is to sensitive.

After raising the front I decided to lower the rear ride height link to its lowest setting which is only about 1.5mm at the linkage which translate to about 4mm when measured from the rear fairing to the axle nut. This adjustment helped a bit more, but the bike still feels like it turns to fast for my liking. Anyone else experiencing sensations like these on track or canyon runs? I think its must noticeable in long sweeping turns where the bike is on its side for some time. The slightest input at the bars has a dramatic effect on line and lean angle. I've noticed from day one of riding the bike and I figured some of it is just down to me adapting my riding style and being more precise with my inputs. Coming from a RSV4 which steered like a tank and required very aggressive steering inputs.

And before people ask? Yes my sag is set. I have a motool digital sag setting tool. My F/R sag number are as close to flat as I can get at F 36mm and R 32mm

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I can't say it turns fast or is getting upset mid-turn, never had issues with that. It's lighter than say Gen3 but once you're on right line it feels okay.

My problem is that it goes wide in slow turns and I'm still unable to use the full 125mm of front travel (cartridges are 130mm).

I've been running forks at 6mm offset to the top (2 lines on forks), which is advised by Alpha/Ohlins for this model. Rear shock length is 368mm.
Mugello 9.5/10 front springs:

I tried to put more weight on front and raised it to 10mm (4 lines). Here is travel data from Portimao with 9.5/10 springs

It looks slightly better, but still missing 10mm of travel.

Raising the forks created another problem, rear is squatting now under hard acceleration.

I haven't done any changes to rear height.

I'm thinking to go back to square 0 and set forks to standard 6mm offset and play with springs again and run 9/9.5 at Jerez next month.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Some say it needs to be ridden like a chopper with lots of weight on back (due to very torquey engine) and hence people set forks at 0 offset....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stock geometry has steering angle of 23.7 with ground trail 101 alpha racing recommends a rear ride height of 265mm where std is 280 tht 265mm ride height cant be attained even with their aftermarket link, we fitted their link, modified the shock clevis to get 268mm ride height the forks were set flush and we tested it and found there wasnt enough weight on the front resulting in chatter, we have reverted back to stock settings and bike is very good so far, pace is around 2 sec off lap record so still a way to go. Will post up the motospec data tomorrow showing geometry

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Stock geometry has steering angle of 23.7 with ground trail 101 alpha racing recommends a rear ride height of 265mm where std is 280 tht 265mm ride height cant be attained even with their aftermarket link, we fitted their link, modified the shock clevis to get 268mm ride height the forks were set flush and we tested it and found there wasnt enough weight on the front resulting in chatter, we have reverted back to stock settings and bike is very good so far, pace is around 2 sec off lap record so still a way to go. Will post up the motospec data tomorrow showing geometry
Could you post measurements of fork offsets and rear shock height as well please ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I can't say it turns fast or is getting upset mid-turn, never had issues with that. It's lighter than say Gen3 but once you're on right line it feels okay.

My problem is that it goes wide in slow turns and I'm still unable to use the full 125mm of front travel (cartridges are 130mm).

I've been running forks at 6mm offset to the top (2 lines on forks), which is advised by Alpha/Ohlins for this model. Rear shock length is 368mm.
Mugello 9.5/10 front springs:

I tried to put more weight on front and raised it to 10mm (4 lines). Here is travel data from Portimao with 9.5/10 springs

It looks slightly better, but still missing 10mm of travel.

Raising the forks created another problem, rear is squatting now under hard acceleration.

I haven't done any changes to rear height.

I'm thinking to go back to square 0 and set forks to standard 6mm offset and play with springs again and run 9/9.5 at Jerez next month.
I cannot see the laptimes from the min max table, but in your case you would need to remove some oil from the forks. In the end of the stroke its primarily the oil that influences the stroke.
The average of 47mm is good, so it seems that your quite close with the springs. I assume you have the ohlins cartridge with the 130mm stroke modification!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you using the alpha racing ride height tool to measure the ride height?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I cannot see the laptimes from the min max table, but in your case you would need to remove some oil from the forks. In the end of the stroke its primarily the oil that influences the stroke.
The average of 47mm is good, so it seems that your quite close with the springs. I assume you have the ohlins cartridge with the 130mm stroke modification!
Mugello was 2:03, Portimao 1:58. Not terribly fast, but not terribly slow either.

I'm running Mupo CSP cartridges that are 130mm (125mm of travel + 5mm bump).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts