BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I’m a little confused on the settings for the DDC. Can someone help me straighten this out?

For the front end:
1. Is softest
14. Is hardest

For the rear:

Rebound: 1 is slow rebound and whatever the max is would be the fastest rebound?

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
................... following, I've been playing with mine for awhile, had it dialed in, was showing settings and it zeroed out everything when I went back to main menu. Bike is at dealership so nothing I can do right this moment, but will have to adjust when she returns.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
................... following, I've been playing with mine for awhile, had it dialed in, was showing settings and it zeroed out everything when I went back to main menu. Bike is at dealership so nothing I can do right this moment, but will have to adjust when she returns.
We have new pavement at Barber Motorsports Park here in Leeds, Alabama. I can’t seem to find a setting that doesn’t DESTROY tires after 6 laps.

I need to speed up my rebound but it’s hard to fix a tire once you’ve already ruined it. So I couldn’t tell which direction to take the rebound.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that the lower number for rebound damping is faster rebound. The higher the number then the slower it is. Similar to turning in the clickers on the top of a conventional fork. Screwing in blocks the hole. Screwing out opens the hole. Slower or faster oil flow.
That’s what everyone thinks at the track but it’s kind of counter intuitive to me so I want to know for sure. Am I crazy or is it not in the manual ?!

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
You mean to say that nobody has bothered to read the owner's manual? Shocking, just shocking.

From the manual: The damping values for the front
wheel and for the rear wheel can
be adjusted between 14 levels in
the RACE PRO CONFIGURATION
menu (level 1: "softest" setting;
level 14: "hardest" setting). Rebound and compression damping
can be altered on the back wheel
separately

·
Registered
924 Posts
We have new pavement at Barber Motorsports Park here in Leeds, Alabama. I can’t seem to find a setting that doesn’t DESTROY tires after 6 laps.
Was told the new rear swing arm design should prolong the life of the tires over the previous generation. Is this true for all new pavement that it eats up tires?

Was kind of one of the big selling points for me honestly.

·
Registered
451 Posts
More rebound- Suspension returns to normal condition slower

More compression- slows the rate at which the suspension compresses

If you increase spring pre-load you will almost always have to increase rebound.

Compression is a little trickier. I fine tune my compression after the rebound is in the park for spring preload.

·
Administrator
6,688 Posts
Bennymx, it's page 165 of the Canadian manual that I copied and pasted. I thought it was pretty clear that 1 is the softest and 14 the hardest. The rear shock can be adjusted separately, so for rebound "1" would be the fastest (softest) and "14" the slowest or hardest. Maybe I think in German?

·
Administrator
6,767 Posts
Bennymx, it's page 165 of the Canadian manual that I copied and pasted. I thought it was pretty clear that 1 is the softest and 14 the hardest. The rear shock can be adjusted separately, so for rebound "1" would be the fastest (softest) and "14" the slowest or hardest. Maybe I think in German?
The 1 to 14 is explained for compression. Rebound is different in terms of soft and hard. More like fast and slow. I agree with you that 1 would be fast and 14 would be slow. But its not as clear as you think. Different people read and interpret it differently.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1 to 14 is explained for compression. Rebound is different in terms of soft and hard. More like fast and slow. I agree with you that 1 would be fast and 14 would be slow. But its not as clear as you think. Different people read and interpret it differently.

Yeah it still isn’t clear to me. I’m pretty sure that 1 is the fastest based on this past weekend but I’m not 100% convinced

·
Registered
766 Posts

I need to speed up my rebound but it’s hard to fix a tire once you’ve already ruined it. So I couldn’t tell which direction to take the rebound.
I loosened/softened my rebound by two clicks. The real deal is tire pressure, you have to raise it significantly. I was running 38F 31R OFF THE WARMERS with the Michelin DOT tire in order not to eat it up....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I loosened/softened my rebound by two clicks. The real deal is tire pressure, you have to raise it significantly. I was running 38F 31R OFF THE WARMERS with the Michelin DOT tire in order not to eat it up....
I was running 37 front and 28 rear and it was still getting eaten. It seems there is a lot of conflicting opinion on either raising or lowering temps. I was on the EVO slick and I was being told by half the people to bump it up to 30 and some saying run 22

·
Registered
88 Posts
Was the tire tearing at all? I'd be inclined to add pressure in your situation knowing that outright grip may drop but tire life may be better.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I was running 37 front and 28 rear and it was still getting eaten. It seems there is a lot of conflicting opinion on either raising or lowering temps. I was on the EVO slick and I was being told by half the people to bump it up to 30 and some saying run 22
We sorted thru this on the September weekend. When we went lower, it got worse. The only way to go was to go up on pressure. Considering I was at 38/30. I actually rode the new expensive slick race tire. An additional $100 a set, but I got THREE DAYS out of the rear and the front still looks brand new...

I rode the Evo DOT rear, and had it up to 31 off the warmers before it cleared up. Even 2lbs made a difference.

I didn't even want to look at how high they were OFF track...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts