BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to source a stiffer front spring for the right side DDC fork for my K67. Now I want to disassemble, install, and replace fork oil with a heavier weight for increased dampening. Has anyone performed this service on their DDC k67 forks and would like to share any tips, or must-have specialty tools recommendations? Also if anyone has the K67 repair manual wants to provide screenshots or personal pics of the detailed directions for disassembly, reassembly, and most importantly how to set/ measure for correct fork oil height I'd be most grateful. I've completed work like this on my other bikes but never on a DDC-equipped BWM with asymmetric components in each leg. Thanks in advance

· Registered
2 Posts
I was able to source a stiffer front spring for the right side DDC fork for my K67. Now I want to disassemble, install, and replace fork oil with a heavier weight for increased dampening. Has anyone performed this service on their DDC k67 forks and would like to share any tips, or must-have specialty tools recommendations? Also if anyone has the K67 repair manual wants to provide screenshots or personal pics of the detailed directions for disassembly, reassembly, and most importantly how to set/ measure for correct fork oil height I'd be most grateful. I've completed work like this on my other bikes but never on a DDC-equipped BWM with asymmetric components in each leg. Thanks in advance
I'm also swapping my spring for a heavier one. How do you dissamble the fork cap on the ddc side?
And does anybody knows the right amount of fluid or the correct airchamber.
I have done plenty of usd fork but never a ddc fork so tips are welcome?

Thanks for the help

Greetings
Stephan

· Banned
3,422 Posts
I have ordered a stiffer spring for the right side which I am still waiting on.

Fork oil capacity:
Left fork: 155ml
Air gap: 135mm + or - 2mm
Right fork: 495ml
Air gap: 190 + or - 2mm
From a design perspective, I've never been really comfortable with different spring rates in each leg, and compression damping (only) in one leg and rebound damping (only) in the other leg. Perhaps it's not a huge factor, but having uneven springs and damping has to lead to some stiction in the forks. Ideally you'd want them as closely matched as possible. Yes, it's probably a money thing, but... If I remember, the Ohlins setup has it's "DDC" on BOTH sides? Perhaps some of the "lack of feel" issue the racers cite with BMW's DDC is a result of this extra stiction? That certainly COULD be the cause. I wonder if you could make both sides damping equal and put DDC on both sides...

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,431 Posts
I am looking for the steps to replace the right side spring on the 2020+ DCC suspension. I got the damper rod bleed tool and a new spring for the right side. Can anyone shed some light on the process?
1. Pull fork out of bike
2. Back preload all the way off counter clockwise
3. Undo the cap using a special wrench or socket
4. Now you'll need a spring compressor to compress the spring down.
5. Pull cap with spring upwards and slot a spanner on the nut
6. Loosen cap while holding the nut
7. Remove cap and back off the spring compressor
8. Remove spring

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.