BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
There is no way you got an OEM filter out without crushing it or a new exact replacement in if your headers are installed correctly.

I just undid the carbon fiber exhaust hanger bolt (the part attached to the muffler not the bike. It’s just one bolt) and pulled down on it maybe a half inch to get the clearance I needed to get the old one out and the OEM filter back in. Took 5 seconds once I realized that was the best course of action. The header has springs on it so it won’t hurt anything and no chance of messing up any orings on the oil cooler line.

·
Registered
753 Posts
There is no way you got an OEM filter out without crushing it or a new exact replacement in if your headers are installed correctly.

I just undid the carbon fiber exhaust hanger bolt (the part attached to the muffler not the bike. It’s just one bolt) and pulled down on it maybe a half inch to get the clearance I needed to get the old one out and the OEM filter back in. Took 5 seconds once I realized that was the best course of action. The header has springs on it so it won’t hurt anything and no chance of messing up any orings on the oil cooler line.
I've done 2 oil filter changes by now. You don't need to undo exhaust hanger at all, just this bracket.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have Akra on another bike and have removed the headers several times for off-season maintenance, and sometimes replaced the flanges and springs that hold the header to the engine head. I found a small change in clearance for my oil filter each time. Sometimes barely enough room to remove the filter, sometimes I have to use a bit of force to get it past the headers, one year I had to undo the hangers to get enough clearance.

Maybe there is just a slight difference in clearance from bike to bike.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
M
I have Akra on another bike and have removed the headers several times for off-season maintenance, and sometimes replaced the flanges and springs that hold the header to the engine head. I found a small change in clearance for my oil filter each time. Sometimes barely enough room to remove the filter, sometimes I have to use a bit of force to get it past the headers, one year I had to undo the hangers to get enough clearance.

Maybe there is just a slight difference in clearance from bike to bike.
maybe. I’m not calling anyone a liar but please show me the way. The only thing I could think of was the way I did it.

·
Vendor
2,505 Posts
I really didnt think this thread would bump again. I have one update on this process. I went to the BMW service and I ask the lead tech what he has seen for oil filter issues on the K67's that have come in for service. He indicated that if the filter wont come out with little to no effort, he removes the oil line like I did. Takes all of 2 minutes that way,,, so out with the old filter, and in the with new, slap the oil line back on. The O ring area it goes into is very chamfer and as long as you are careful, the O ring just pops right back in and one screw holds it. You guys can pull springs, remove bolts, whatever you like to make it your way. Time equals money and BMW techs are not going to spend a lot of time on an oil change.

·
Registered
753 Posts
No point removing oil line - that is just asking for problems if you re-fit it incorrectly. It takes 30 seconds to remove oil filter once the bracket is undone. Probably will take even 15second, if exhaust hanger is undone and exhaust lowered.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
M

maybe. I’m not calling anyone a liar but please show me the way. The only thing I could think of was the way I did it.
Wasn't trying to call anyone out - just sharing my experience. I think your way is great. If I don't do it your way or Mr.388's way, I'll probably crush the filter a bit to squeeze it past. Or run the shorter filter and just change it more often. Usually change after a weekend at the track anyway.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts