BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@BMW_388 I couldn't find the post, but I think you covered this issue within days of receiving your 2020. Washed my bike just now because Sunday durning a very aggressive ride we hit a bunch of rain on the way home(hours worth of none stop rain) I've just now noticed my fairing is broken. Also, this little clip under clutch just popped off, seems very cheaply made(pic below, I've put it back but seems like it will pop right back off next ride). With the Fairing issue is that covered by warranty? You can clearly see it hasn't been dropped or anything. This has to be from hard riding or.... Not sure what else it could be to be honest. How do we fix? (Don't want to JB weld it) also with that said what's the point of buying a replacement if it's caused by hard riding?

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Remove the broken fairing piece if you have the time, it'll split on the other side and you'll lose it completely if you don't. Luckily mine was rattling around in there and my buddy saw it before it fell out.

We have pretty rough roads here and mine came off at around 1400 miles.

BMW didn't offer to replace it when I complained about it. It is a $20 part but still. I'll probably just end up replacing the fairings with cf eventually but it is annoying.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/239386-review-your-new-2020-rr-here-13.html#post2335234

that is my post where mine fell off.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the broken fairing piece if you have the time, it'll split on the other side and you'll lose it completely if you don't. Luckily mine was rattling around in there and my buddy saw it before it fell out.

We have pretty rough roads here and mine came off at around 1400 miles.

BMW didn't offer to replace it when I complained about it. It is a $20 part but still. I'll probably just end up replacing the fairings with cf eventually but it is annoying.
Ok thankyou, guess I'll take it off an ride without it. I'll order another from dealer if it breaks the same then I'll make a big stink(if its only $20 I can deal with it) I agree I'm going to go with carbon as well just waiting for the release.

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
The fairing seems like its a common problem. Vibration obviously and heat over time the plastic goes brittle and breaks. The cover for the clutch switches is a weird design. They have it on some other models like that. It does seem to fit fairly loosely but haven't had any issues with the design so far.

·
Vendor
2,722 Posts
I had seen a 44 teeth video and they had broke ones with in 200 miles.

Then sure enough I checked mine doing the radiator guard install and mine was broke at the bolt holding location.

Its already broke now. Just JB Plastic weld it, glue it, whatever it takes.. its already ugly and going to break more. Get a new one at dealer. My dealer offered to replace plastic on my 15 up to 200 miles, but I never even asked on this 20 since someone had already checked it was going to be low cost piece of plastic from dealer.

Just a bad design.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fairing seems like its a common problem. Vibration obviously and heat over time the plastic goes brittle and breaks. The cover for the clutch switches is a weird design. They have it on some other models like that. It does seem to fit fairly loosely but haven't had any issues with the design so far.
I had seen a 44 teeth video and they had broke ones with in 200 miles.

Then sure enough I checked mine doing the radiator guard install and mine was broke at the bolt holding location.

Its already broke now. Just JB Plastic weld it, glue it, whatever it takes.. its already ugly and going to break more. Get a new one at dealer. My dealer offered to replace plastic on my 15 up to 200 miles, but I never even asked on this 20 since someone had already checked it was going to be low cost piece of plastic from dealer.

Just a bad design.
Ok thank's guys. I knew I couldn't have been the only one. @bennymx that's what my thought was. Heat and thin plastic bumps don't mix, haha
@BMW_388 guess I'll give it a shot, JB weld it on the backside! Thanks again(also was unable to call today, will try and do it tomorrow during the hours you've told me thankyou again)

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've "JB Weld for plastics" and heading to dealer now to order another. Will see how it holds Sunday durning aggressive riding again haha.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
everyone should be having the dealer replace these under warranty. BMW needs to know there is a problem with the design when they receive a lot of warranty claims for this. I posted the video of the 44 teeth guys having two of the bikes with cracked fairings

·
Registered
841 Posts
@BMW_388 I couldn't find the post, but I think you covered this issue within days of receiving your 2020. Washed my bike just now because Sunday durning a very aggressive ride we hit a bunch of rain on the way home(hours worth of none stop rain) I've just now noticed my fairing is broken. Also, this little clip under clutch just popped off, seems very cheaply made(pic below, I've put it back but seems like it will pop right back off next ride). With the Fairing issue is that covered by warranty? You can clearly see it hasn't been dropped or anything. This has to be from hard riding or.... Not sure what else it could be to be honest. How do we fix? (Don't want to JB weld it) also with that said what's the point of buying a replacement if it's caused by hard riding?
sorry to say but fvck that. its a BRAND NEW bike. they have to be made aware they have a problem. they replaced plastics on my 15 also.

Reactions: Fbto

·
Registered
275 Posts
Vibration obviously and heat over time the plastic goes brittle and breaks.
"over time".... that makes me think like "yeah ive been riding this bike hard out in the hot sun for the past 5 years, over time the plastic got brittle and broke"

not... "i bought a new bike and it broke after a few heat cycles"

lol... pretty sure the cheap ebay chinese fairings last longer than that ;)

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
"over time".... that makes me think like "yeah ive been riding this bike hard out in the hot sun for the past 5 years, over time the plastic got brittle and broke"

not... "i bought a new bike and it broke after a few heat cycles"

lol... pretty sure the cheap ebay chinese fairings last longer than that ;)
Lol yeah I kind of forgot how old these bikes are.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on this, anyone that has this issue like myself the warranty indeed covers it. I sent them pictures they ordered it, the very next day called me in for it to be replaced.

Now a carbon fiber one is available, ordered it(along with other peices)but Motomillion says isn't available until July 28.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Wait until I get my bike before you switch to carbon so that your plastic can keep breaking and they replace it under warranty every time. This way hopefully BMW will fix the issue so when I get my bike I won't have to worry about it cracking. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wait until I get my bike before you switch to carbon so that your plastic can keep breaking and they replace it under warranty every time. This way hopefully BMW will fix the issue so when I get my bike I won't have to worry about it cracking. /images/S1000RRForum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Funny you say this.. guess what?.... yeah it's cracked again. SON OF A _____!!!! Guess I'll keep getting replacements until the carbon one arrives haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
Funny you say this.. guess what?.... yeah it's cracked again. SON OF A _____!!!! Guess I'll keep getting replacements until the carbon one arrives haha.
That's why I didn't bother replacing mine...I think some engineers ****ed this up big time.

Carbonin right fairing has the fins built into the panel.

Ilmberger created a $210 fin.

Which ones right? I'd hope the CF fin for $210 wouldn't break....but you never know if the OEM ones are going every week.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's why I didn't bother replacing mine...I think some engineers ****ed this up big time.

Carbonin right fairing has the fins built into the panel.

Ilmberger created a $210 fin.

Which ones right? I'd hope the CF fin for $210 wouldn't break....but you never know if the OEM ones are going every week.
I have this one ordered https://www.motomillion.com/collections/bmw-s1000rr-2019/products/ilmberger-carbon-fiber-right-fairing-winglet-insert-for-s1000rr-2019-2020?variant=16113718231106
waiting on it now. Hopefully it doesn't break. We shall see. I feel it's to thin and right up on the frame. When engine is running and you are hitting bumps it's simply not strong enough.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have this one ordered https://www.motomillion.com/collections/bmw-s1000rr-2019/products/ilmberger-carbon-fiber-right-fairing-winglet-insert-for-s1000rr-2019-2020?variant=16113718231106
waiting on it now. Hopefully it doesn't break. We shall see. I feel it's to thin and right up on the frame. When engine is running and you are hitting bumps it's simply not strong enough.
My understanding is it may not be aerodynamically designed for the job and thus having stress from that not just the road surface impacts. Either that or they used a very piss poor plastic for that part (and hopefully not others).

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hopefully the dealers are stocking fees by the caseload until BMW fixes the problem. I would have them install a new one every single time it breaks even if that meant I was there every other day. Inconvenience yes but overall other BMW owners would benefit from it.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bumping this up because I'm seeing this is still an issue, I've found others talking about this on the forum.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts