BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2020 - another recall - oil leak

24K views 100 replies 39 participants last post by  PNorris 
#1 ·
Another recall for S1k produced September to March. Inappropriate oil cooler design could cause hoses to fall off :(

https://motorcycles.news/en/recall-bmw-s-1000-rr/

-----------
BMW calls the new S 1000 RR back to the workshops. Affected are vehicles manufactured between September 2018 and March 2019.

Recall: BMW S 1000 RR
The oil cooler supply and return lines were molded incorrectly, which could cause the oil hose to separate from the fitting.

As a result, oil could escape, increasing the risk of accidents or fires.

Type-approval number: e1 * 168/2013 * 00091; type: 2R99

BMW recall code: 0000170500

#10 ·
Yup, there are two oil cooler recalls at German KBA the equivalent of our NHTSA. The one from September has to do with the oil cooler manufacturing not to spec the second in October with cracks forming at the attachment sites for the oil cooler hoses I believe.

There is one official US recall online.

Attachments

#11 ·
Do you guys not have a recall website in your country? I just go to the Aus site and throw in my rego/vin and it lists them ... although for some reason it's in some random language in the description for this one.

It sends you a PDF of the recall notice and you can select a dealership and time to take the bike in also.

#12 ·
For info.
Mine built last month on 23.sept
Got a recall for the hoses but also there is an oil cooler being sent from Germany arriving tomorrow and ready to be mounted then.

So if you’re told it is arriving as from November or that it is not know or bla bla, now you know in Europe it’s happening now (recall and repair).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Just found out those of us in South Africa still awaiting the launch of the bike might have to wait longer, still no official communication from BMW but I have heard December chucked around...........
Shocking as the bike is labled a 2019 here.......
In 2 minds as to wether or not to just cancel my deal and look for something else. Sticking to my '15 single R for now.

#17 ·
Yeah I spoke to them this morning they said my bike needed the oil cooler work done, they said parts in week 45 (what ever week that is of the year) but basically said just check the clamp as the issue is to do with them doing it to tight and it breaking, if I see oil then stop riding it :D ...

Be interesting at 200+klm/h and adding some oil to the back tire :p ... how good is this traction control I Wonder :D

#18 ·
Yeah I spoke to them this morning they said my bike needed the oil cooler work done, they said parts in week 45 (what ever week that is of the year) but basically said just check the clamp as the issue is to do with them doing it to tight and it breaking, if I see oil then stop riding it :D ...

Be interesting at 200+klm/h and adding some oil to the back tire :p ... how good is this traction control I Wonder :D

In the German forum there is one guy who made it safe having the side of the tire full of oil. So to answer your question: quite good!

But have heard that on some other cases on track there have been incidents.

Just check out because initially there was one recall for the hoses attachment. Now the paper (have seen it and read it) calls for a complete replacement of the oil cooler .

Reason being the charge it can hold.

In the German forum one guy with some insider info said there is an open order for 2000 oil coolers at BMW. Considering we are at around 2700 RR’s made so far +-.

So I’d suggest you make sure it is the whole cooler that is replaced over next week.

I was told one could go around easy but hey who goes easy on such a bike? Caution calls for not riding at all.

#22 · (Edited)
Don’t want to create paranoia here but, have you wondered how the issue came up to BMW’s attention in first place?
It was a number of incidents in and out the race track.
In the German Forum you can see one pic of a lucky rider with oil spilled all over the right side of his rear tire.
I heard from others that were not that lucky on events where RR’s were rented for track day (this last is been told to me, no confirmation or evidence).
And that is how the whole thing really became an oil cooler recall (previously was only a hose attachment one).

Check your cooler often.
I also ran twice on demo bikes at race track all up in the revs and so on.
In my case and in this situation, I would only use the bike for road until it gets fixed.

#28 ·
The STOP SALE notice is suspended in the AIR system. Those who were waiting on the dealers to release the 2020 should now be able to complete the transactions.

Reactions: stefanus
#31 ·
Received my notice in the mail from BMW Monday. Haven't called to find out availability on parts yet. Like others have said, probably somewhere close to the 1st of the year I'd assume. If it's anything like my rear wheel, parts will arrive March haha. Right now I'm currently waiting on k67 coolant resavor as I broke it(smh). Ordered it last week, so hopefully get it sometime soon. Paid for the "rush delivery" from Germany I was told 1-3weeks. We'll see.

#32 ·
I was just called by the dealership and informed that there are no replacement parts coming to Spain yet. I was told the situation is worse in the UK so they send everything there.
So there is no word on when I can pick up my bike. And then I still have to hope that the carbon wheels do not crack...
I am less and less sure about my purchase and BMW.:frown2:

#36 ·
I was just called by the dealership and informed that there are no replacement parts coming to Spain yet. I was told the situation is worse in the UK so they send everything there.

So there is no word on when I can pick up my bike. And then I still have to hope that the carbon wheels do not crack...

I am less and less sure about my purchase and BMW.:frown2:

And now you can get a new R1M or soon in a couple of months a new Fireblade RRR.... sigh....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.