BMW S1000RR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Vendor
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
with sensor you are splitting the work of the front fork as intended in design. compression and rebound adjustment as separate functions.

·
Vendor
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That will work. I tried mounting on the right as well.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I mounted my 150 mm sensor using the 175 mm bracket (over the speed sensor) to the lower of the left triple screws. It hits the radiator on turning completely left but otherwise works fine as far as I can tell. Tested it on a track day yesterday. It's also crazy close to the bodywork panel but doesn't seem to touch as far as I can tell

·
Registered
940 Posts
I finally got around to installing a 2D sensor on my 2020, but the bike doesn't seem to know it's plugged in.

I connected it to the only available connector in the bundle of wires behind where my charcoal canister used to be, and did the DDC recalibration on the side stand, but the dash does not provide separate adjustment for front damping and compression.

Any guess where I went wrong?

·
Vendor
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I finally got around to installing a 2D sensor on my 2020, but the bike doesn't seem to know it's plugged in.

I connected it to the only available connector in the bundle of wires behind where my charcoal canister used to be, and did the DDC recalibration on the side stand, but the dash does not provide separate adjustment for front damping and compression.

Any guess where I went wrong?
RaceTrack mode turned on ? check settings in RP1 / 2 / 3 ..I have never check to see if it shows in Road and Dynamic. My guess is it does not.

Reactions: cjc

·
Registered
940 Posts
RaceTrack mode turned on ? check settings in RP1 / 2 / 3 ..I have never check to see if it shows in Road and Dynamic. My guess is it does not.
Yes - I was checking in "Race Pro" mode.

I can't find a menu to adjust damping at all outside of Race Pro.

In Race Pro I can adjust rear compression and damping, but for the front there is only "Damping".

I guess there is some chance I got a bad 2D sensor, even though new.

I don't think I could have connected it to the wrong place on the wiring harness - there was only one option.

·
Vendor
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
You must have a bad sensor. There is only one 3 wire plug with a cap on it in the area you indicated around the charcoal canister. Its all you have to do in plug it in. I have had 2 sensors go out due to water getting inside of them. When they fail the ECU just sees nothing and the option wont be there for setting Comp and Rebound

Reactions: cjc

·
Registered
940 Posts
I must be doing something wrong. I just installed a second new 2D sensor and still don't get a screen that would let me adjust front compression damping and rebound damping separately. Maybe you would be willing to consult for beer or tire money?!?!

·
Vendor
4,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I dont have a NON DDC wiring harness to see if that sensor connection is there. In my opinion it should be there, but cannot say for sure.

·
Registered
2021 s1000rr
586 Posts
Speaking of 2d sensors. anyone have a mounting bracket fail on them?
I ask because I installed mine as instructed. And on the first ride the plastic bracket over the speed sensor broke. I have the metal bracket from Alpha coming.
Makes me wonder if it was the wheelie I accidentally pulled going down a hill that over extended it? Or if there was just a manufacturing flaw in that one bracket. The sensor is fine no concern with it. Just curious if anyone else had this experience.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Speaking of 2d sensors. anyone have a mounting bracket fail on them?
I ask because I installed mine as instructed. And on the first ride the plastic bracket over the speed sensor broke. I have the metal bracket from Alpha coming.
Makes me wonder if it was the wheelie I accidentally pulled going down a hill that over extended it? Or if there was just a manufacturing flaw in that one bracket. The sensor is fine no concern with it. Just curious if anyone else had this experience.
Had 2 on 2 bikes, never failed in 4 years of track use.

Met a mate who had his sensor unscrewed from the bottom bracket while on track.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
@bmwbadboy this is what broke. Its a little annoying. I just installed the metal alpha bracket. It relocates the bottom end a bit and is mush more substantial.
The only issue with the metal bracket is it raises the location of the top bracket and that's what causes issues with clearance.

I used a combination of the original top bracket inverted and the Alpha racing plastic bracket that mounts over the speed sensor and has ZERO clearance issues. I did drill extra holes in the bracket to lower the position of the sensor. At full extension, the fork exposed is 122mm, and the sensor has 142mm exposed (gotta subtract 12mm for when the 150mm sensor is fully closed for proper placement). The top bracket is facing down and 16mm below the lower triple tree. So far so good no issues and works wonderfully with no need for steering stops

Attachments

61 - 80 of 104 Posts