BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Stupid question, but how does the connector of the sensor connect to the bike? Does the stock bike have connectors for the missing front sensor?

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The front 2D sensor has always been an add on device since the 2015 and the connector is OEM with a cap on it. It is located on the left side of the frame rail just above the radiator area. DDC and DTC both benefit from the addition of the 2D sensor.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
DDC and DTC both benefit from the addition of the 2D sensor.
DTC benefits because the DTC coding uses data about what the front suspension is doing to adjust TC at the rear?

Does adding the 2D sensor allow rear DDC take into account what the front suspension is doing?

I'm waiting for my 150mm mount but wonder what changes in performance to expect. Also hoping I can cut down the steering dampers a bit with the 150mm kit (relative to the 175mm kit).

·
Registered
115 Posts
The front 2D sensor has always been an add on device since the 2015 and the connector is OEM with a cap on it. It is located on the left side of the frame rail just above the radiator area. DDC and DTC both benefit from the addition of the 2D sensor.
Could you explain how DTC benefits from the 2D sensor input?

·
Registered
923 Posts
My guess is that if the rear wheel knows the front is lifting quickly or at maximum stroke it won't allow full power.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Folks, i have ordered the 175 mm sensor and the Alpha racing bracket for it. Do i need to order anything else to install this? Are steering stops required?

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
if you mount it like Alpha designed it you need stop on the left side of the frame in the least. Those rubber stops come with the kit usually.

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
sensor will hit the radiator and bend the sensor shaft. If you decide to follow my method and put the sensor on the front side, it does not hit that way. And if you are thinking to put it on the right side it hits the radiator on that side too.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
sensor will hit the radiator and bend the sensor shaft. If you decide to follow my method and put the sensor on the front side, it does not hit that way. And if you are thinking to put it on the right side it hits the radiator on that side too.
Is the stop available from AR?

Also, once I install the sensor and the stop, can I still use the key to lock the bike?

·
Registered
80 Posts
DTC benefits because the DTC coding uses data about what the front suspension is doing to adjust TC at the rear?

Does adding the 2D sensor allow rear DDC take into account what the front suspension is doing?

I'm waiting for my 150mm mount but wonder what changes in performance to expect. Also hoping I can cut down the steering dampers a bit with the 150mm kit (relative to the 175mm kit).
This is using 150mm sensor with alpha bracket.
I had to thicken the left stopper to avoid hitting radiotor guards.
Right side didnt need a stopper.
This is with the stopper.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
This is using 150mm sensor with alpha bracket.
I had to thicken the left stopper to avoid hitting radiotor guards.
Right side didnt need a stopper.
This is with the stopper.
Thanks for sharing that! I have the stoppers in but just got my 150mm kit. Need to install it and see how much I can cut down the left stopper. I want to keep the right one in case of a crash, and also to make sure my after market bars don't hit body work, but I bet I can cut it down quite a bit.

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
@BMW_388 in this picture (https://www.bmwhp.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/2D-worked2-e1560482624214.jpg), where did you get the top mount? Also, what is the bottom screw screwed into? Any more detail on this? I am asking because I would very much like to continue using the steering lock on the bike.
The top mount is the K46 flipped over and just turned around to be on the front side.

all the pics on page 1 show what I did. I first I drilled and tapped a hole in the fork stantion on the caliper side and the sensor would not clear the radiator still. So I flipped the upper bracket, and drilled and tapped another hole on the front side of the fork stantion so it secures the bottom. Complete total left and right steering. 9600 miles and zero issues. You do have to trim the upper inside plastic to clear the sensor swing area. Its only about .750 of clearance needed in about 4-5 inches of swing area.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Just installed my 2D 150mm sensor. Am I correct to assume that 6 front compression 6 front rebound is the same as 6 front damping without the sensor?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts