BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yeah your way is the best I've seen so far, taking the hat off here.
But Alpha is coming with the bracket soon.

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Btw, can you calibrate a zero point? What data logging software do you use?

This is still PASSIVE suspension system moving into SEMI-ACTIVE. We are not at Full ACTIVE suspension on the 2020 yet. There is no zero point needed where you read +75 or -75 in a 150mm length of travel. Active suspension is a type of automotive suspension that controls the vertical movement of the wheels relative to the chassis or vehicle body with an onboard system, rather than in passive suspension where the movement is being determined entirely by the road surface > https://www.iosrjournals.org/iosr-jmce/papers/vol13-issue4/Version-1/A1304010106.pdf

What happens from what I am told by a BMW engineer is that when a front sensor is on the S1000RR, the ESA does some calculations between front sensor and rear sensor ( factory sensor on the swingarm ) and does interpret attitude of squat and anti squat. So the rear shock purpose in life is to keep the rear tire on the ground at all times. The front telling the ESA what is coming can help in the rear doing its job better.

Can you calibrate? yes, but, you are calibrating to a voltage at a steady point. This is purely example here > If your SAG is 30mm, and the voltage at calibration is 3.35 volts, then the ESA and ECU use 3.35 volts as a known zero point of calibration. Now if the voltage is going to 4 volts it is traveling one way, if it is 2 volts it is traveling the other way. Hence compression and rebound.

The ISTA software can calibrate the suspension better than the cluster can using CALIB on the K46. The K67 does not even have CALIB but, you can calibrate the suspension in the dealer software ISTA.

I use the K46 DataLogger on my K67 with AnnaLiza. I have been told that others have tried this and it does not work for them.

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Anyone tried this bracket, listed for 150mm ?
Hey mate, you need 175mm sensor and different bracket

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey mate, you need 175mm sensor and different bracket

I ask because both 150 and 175 are listed under K67 !

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I ask because both 150 and 175 are listed under K67 !
There is some different mounting options on K67 both dealing with the lack of steering if you mount it like the K46 was.

The 175mm goes above the lower triple, and reduces steering to the left alot.

The 150mm goes below the lower triple, and reduces steering to the left a little less, but since I have not tried one of these I dont know the effects of travel on it.

Then there are different lower mounting brackets from Alpha.

I guess only one person really liked my way of mounting on the front side and loves it like I do. No lost of left steering that way. I am sure I could figure out a bolt on bracket so that the lower fork stantion did not have to be drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
971 Posts
There is some different mounting options on K67 both dealing with the lack of steering if you mount it like the K46 was.

The 150mm goes below the lower triple, and reduces steering to the left a little less, but since I have not tried one of these I dont know the effects of travel on it.

I guess only one person really liked my way of mounting on the front side and loves it like I do. No lost of left steering that way. I am sure I could figure out a bolt on bracket so that the lower fork stantion did not have to be drilled and tapped.
What's this obsession with steering? Alpha stoppers restrict it a LOT and I haven't had any issues on track. Yeah, shuffling bike around in the garages is involved, but don't really care.

175mm sensor doesn't go above lower triple, it goes in one of two mounting screws.

I actually had an issue at Brands GP the other day where on fork extension the bottom part of sensor just popped out of the bracket. I had it fixed into the top screw. I'm thinking to remount into the lower one.

I'm pretty sure 150mm sensor would work fine, but it would deffo require different mounting. I would email alpha to ask this.

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
What's this obsession with steering? Alpha stoppers restrict it a LOT and I haven't had any issues on track. Yeah, shuffling bike around in the garages is involved, but don't really care.
I just installed the steering stops - definitely a pain in parking lots/gas stations, but no issue riding. Need to order/install the sensor. Once installed I'm going to see if I can cut down the steering stops a bit.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I thought it might be best to do a thread on this 2D sensor install because this is the unofficial carry over install from the K46. It failed, and it worked. Do I recommend others to try this? No, not really unless you are very handy with drilling and tapping holes in a very nice new front fork.

The upper bracket will work on the fork tube. I tried in the same mounting method as you would have instructions for with 2D Racing sensor install. The lower bracket would not fit the brake caliper mounting point at all. So I had to come up with a mounting the quickest possible way so not to spend alot of time on something that might not even work. So I drilled a hole in my front lower fork stantion. It was only a 4mm hole, so I was not concerned with the hole if it did not work. Sure enough it does not work well. It was impossible to see the turning radius completely without getting the whole thing mounted and in working condition. The turning was greatly reduced because of the just installed EVOTECH radiator guards. 2D racing has some work to do in figuring out how to get around the clearance issues if the K67 has radiator guards in place too.

Install try number 2. I already saw the compression and rebound in the TFT cluster and I was like 'yes' .. success at least on getting the ECU to see the sensor. So I decided that in the front of the fork tube was next. This location is not ideal because alot of bugs, rocks, birds, and whatever else might fly up off the road can hit the sensor really easy now. I decided its got to mount somehow. So I swing the top bracket around, and the lower needs to be drilled again. This time I decide to thread tap the hole M4 and screw the stand off in there and attachment ball. This worked really well. Wish I had threaded the other hole M4 and you would barely see it and just thought it was a factory hole.

As you can see in the pics, both sides of the tube I show you.

Does it make a difference in the ride? Not exactly like it does on the K46. I am not sure why, but in my 140 miles of testing today, the squat off the corner reaction was not the same as the K46. I am sure it is due to the swing arm type and how it is designed to react to start with. Maybe the code is different and an update is coming. The ECU does see the sensor and provide the compression and rebound now at least.

Its like me however, I own the

2020 K67 ///M Programmed XWORKS ECU by me
2018 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2017 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2015 K46 RCK3 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me
2014 K46 RCK2 / HP Power Kit'ed ECU by me

all these have their place in use, but I really enjoy the K67 overall on the track. You just got to have a ECU resolution to really enjoy the power.
So I'm facing the same challenge and alpha racing sending me this

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts

175mm sensor doesn't go above lower triple, it goes in one of two mounting screws.

I actually had an issue at Brands GP the other day where on fork extension the bottom part of sensor just popped out of the bracket. I had it fixed into the top screw. I'm thinking to remount into the lower one.

I'm pretty sure 150mm sensor would work fine, but it would deffo require different mounting. I would email alpha to ask this.
Alpha confirmed 150mm would work , you will need this bracket.
"
thanks for your request in our shop: Hi, i have a question regarding item 7470-B020-A00 and 7470HP001A00 , will this work on s1000rr 2020 K67 ? what would be the difference compared to the 175mm sensor ?
Both article are fitting on the 202 K67. The difference to the 175 mm is only the length.
We suggest to take the 7470HP004A00 and the 3142B020A01, there are easier to mount.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Alpha confirmed 150mm would work , you will need this bracket.
"
thanks for your request in our shop: Hi, i have a question regarding item 7470-B020-A00 and 7470HP001A00 , will this work on s1000rr 2020 K67 ? what would be the difference compared to the 175mm sensor ?
Both article are fitting on the 202 K67. The difference to the 175 mm is only the length.
We suggest to take the 7470HP004A00 and the 3142B020A01, there are easier to mount.
thats what's written 1 post above

·
Registered
80 Posts

I would prefer no steering limitation using your way, drilling is what's holding me back.
Alpha emailed me saying both 150mm and 175mm work fine. Like you said just the mounting location.

·
Registered
80 Posts
thats what's written 1 post above
Hey, there was mixed up replies at beginning of post few mo this back, just sharing a confirmation by alpha that 150mm would work with k67 using bracket 7470-B020-A00, will order and see.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is 150mm sensor that goes into a different bracket
Yes I had the 150mm on my gen3 bike and when I upgraded to gen4 they are sending a bolt to go into the top bolt of the lower triple tree and new bracket that goes onto the the brake caliper
Screenshot_20200609-180044_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200609-180034_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200609-180044_Gallery.jpg

·
Premium Member
130 Posts

I have a 3D printer and could print out test mounts. I'm not savvy with design, but I don't mind printing brackets to help the cause.

Reactions: BMW_388

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Mine has been working 8500 miles now. I do plan to buy a new MY21 so on it I will design something better. I will not give up steering left or right when there is a way to fix it.

Reactions: bennymx
21 - 40 of 63 Posts