BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on YouTube:

The video says that the 2020 S1000XR’s adaptive headlight is not enabled because BMW hasn’t gotten it cleared in US. Anyone know anything about this?

I’ve asked the dealer bringing in the M Package XR I bought, but thought I’d check here too.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddly enough, it appears, based on a 2021 Ice Grey XR I saw, that we get the weird LED rear combo brake/turn signal, but not the front LED turn signals.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
The US has weird specs on lights. You guys don't get LED indicators either.
Yup! That's been an issue for years, especially when the EU cars first started getting HID lights....that the US didn't... Thank God that for all the retarded emissions stuff CA did that the entire rest of the country didn't, CA didn't require special lights. Honestly, I think all the car and motorcycle manufacturers should have told CA to [email protected]<k off, and not made special versions. If all the manufacturers would have done that and stood firm, the people in CA would have told CA to stuff it because they couldn't get new cars and motorcycles and repealed all that lunacy. Now, all the manufacturers are stuck with anything crazy CA wants to do. SO glad I'm not living there...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are we talking about the lean sensitive LEDs? They work in Canada.

I also have a euro contact for anyone needing the euro version from turn signals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apologies for bringing to life a dead thread. The Adaptive Headlight is part of the $925 ZHP Sport Package. GPS Preparation, M Battery, and LED Auxiliary Lights are included along with a sample of unobtainium...

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not quite unobtainium. I have one; I bought it in July 2020 when BMW still had all pictures embargoed and took delivery in November (see my post at 2021 S1000XR M Package Announced & Bought!). The adaptive headlight question in this thread was from before I took delivery. Your post reminded me that, despite 3100 miles, I never performed a night ride test to see if/how well the adaptive headlight works. Thanks to a 69 F Western North Carolina day, I just got back from doing that test.

The adaptive headlight works and it's awesome. There are eight lights in a headlight assembly that has both daytime running lights and adaptive headlights (see pic). The two bottom/outside lights are the daytime running lights (lit in the pic below). Above those are four main headlights, two on each side (all dark in this pic because these lights are off when the daytime running lights are on). The two main headlights on the bike's right side comprise the low beam; they throw a inverted trapezoid with the small top at the bike and the large base lighting the road at low beam height/distance. The two main headlights on the bike's left side comprise the high beam; they throw a very bright long range rectangle above the center half of the low beam trapezoid. The two lights at the top of the headlight assembly are the adaptive headlights, one on each side; they have slash lines separating different focusing zones in the pic below. When the bike is leaned, the adaptive headlight on the inside of the curve fills in the area that's above the low beam trapezoid and on the inside side of the high beam rectangle. This lights up the area that the low beam cannot reach because it's too low when leaned over. The strength of each adaptive headlight is roughly the same as the low beam. The adaptive headlights work during both low beam and high beam. It's a little disconcerting to get used to; they pop on when you hit a set lean angle. They leave me wishing they would come on just before I start the lean, i.e., follow the road before the lean starts, but that would require road tracking sensors. That said, they definitely light the blind spot caused by the lean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts