BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 3569 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, today I'm told...the '19 RR will have a new chassis, be smaller, have new suspension, probably new exhaust, new swingarm (inverted, like the HP4 Race?) and TFT. Probably some notable engine changes are coming, as well. I asked how would this affect price and the answer was...BMW is very good at holding the line with price when making generational changes. So, what the hell...I said put me down for a Motorsport '19. I love my '17, but probably won't be able to resist the siren song of the next generation.

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
So, today I'm told...the '19 RR will have a new chassis, be smaller, have new suspension, probably new exhaust, new swingarm (inverted, like the HP4 Race?) and TFT. Probably some notable engine changes are coming, as well. I asked how would this affect price and the answer was...BMW is very good at holding the line with price when making generational changes. So, what the hell...I said put me down for a Motorsport '19. I love my '17, but probably won't be able to resist the siren song of the next generation.

I agree if the 2018 has no significant changes the 2019 RR will. I don't doubt your source - but honestly I think it is only his/her speculation.

It's certainly not a stretch to say new chassis - smaller - new suspension and all the other stuff - because that is what typically happens.

I'm also looking to get the next generation RR - for me it really depends on how well my body holds up the next year or so. Lately I've not been doing that well in that department - arthritis in my neck may actually force me to retire from riding altogether.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for boosting the economy and making cheap used bikes available!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,433 Posts
I agree if the 2018 has no significant changes the 2019 RR will. I don't doubt your source - but honestly I think it is only his/her speculation.

It's certainly not a stretch to say new chassis - smaller - new suspension and all the other stuff - because that is what typically happens.

I'm also looking to get the next generation RR - for me it really depends on how well my body holds up the next year or so. Lately I've not been doing that well in that department - arthritis in my neck may actually force me to retire from riding altogether.

You know that the 2018 is already at the dealers right?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not speculation. From the "horse's mouth", as it were.

As for arthritis, Bruce...may I ask if you have looked at the correlation between diet and auto-immune responses? There have been vast studies done on this. You appear to be fit (at least your avatar does!), so perhaps you have a genetic predisposition, but it might be worth looking at. How old are you?

I only ask these questions because it pains me to hear of someone hanging up their spurs because they've reached an age-related threshold or buy into the belief that these things (arthritis, etc.) happen because "that's just the way it is".

Personally, I hope to be buying the new RR in 2022, when I'm merely 75!

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
arthritis in my neck may actually force me to retire from riding altogether.
Arthritis or wrong helmet/ gear combo? If you wear Arai, try a Pista. May work wonders. Wrong gear caused my Arai to give me neck soreness issues after long street rides. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
637 Posts

That does sound about right - lighter, more power, tft display, etc all seem on point. I hope it isn’t too much smaller. The real question is - will BMW pull off what they did with the first gen rr when it just leapfrogged and shocked the entire field? What would they need to do to really shake the tree? I’d love for them to kick Ducati and Aprilia ass.

·
Registered
288 Posts
That does sound about right - lighter, more power, tft display, etc all seem in point. I hope it isn’t too much smaller. The real question is - will BMW pull off what they did with the first gen rr when it just leapfrogged and shocked the entire field? What would they need to do to really shake the tree? I’d love for them to kick Ducati and Aprilia ass.
It's not going to happen. We are pretty much at a saturation point as far as engine power and electronics go for the street. They can strap on a motogp motor that makes 240hp but we see how the HP Race has panned out with a engine rebuild every 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Arthritis or wrong helmet/ gear combo? If you wear Arai, try a Pista. May work wonders. Wrong gear caused my Arai to give me neck soreness issues after long street rides. :rolleyes:
I wish it was the wrong helmet or gear. My neurologist and neurosurgeon don't even like/want me wearing a light carbon fiber helmet my neck is that bad.

C3 4,5,6 and 7 are in really bad shape - advanced degenerative arthritis is doing a number on them. Procedures and technology are changing all the time so maybe soon a fix/repair is in the plans.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Not speculation. From the "horse's mouth", as it were.

As for arthritis, Bruce...may I ask if you have looked at the correlation between diet and auto-immune responses? There have been vast studies done on this. You appear to be fit (at least your avatar does!), so perhaps you have a genetic predisposition, but it might be worth looking at. How old are you?

I only ask these questions because it pains me to hear of someone hanging up their spurs because they've reached an age-related threshold or buy into the belief that these things (arthritis, etc.) happen because "that's just the way it is".

Personally, I hope to be buying the new RR in 2022, when I'm merely 75!

flyrider:

I'm open to anything - yes it is more than likely hereditary - have been dealing with this close to 10 years now. Advanced degenerative arthritis.

The real problem is managing the pain. Diet - hydration - physical therapy and avoid doing activities that are not good for my neck - like riding motorcycles all help.

The weight of my carbon fiber helmet is too much weight for my neck according to my doctors - not to mention what I put my neck through while riding - these days I'm 90% a track rider 10% all other riding.

By virtue of the riding position on sport bikes - it does not help my neck at all.

I'm not exactly old - I'm 60 and certainly want to ride as long as I can - I fight the aging process every day - in regard to - I never say I'm too old to being doing this or that.

Taking over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs has minimal results. Going to stronger pain medications has helped but then I'm on strong stuff and there is the side effects and management of those drugs that become tricky.

Surgery is not a guarantee fix - and really not an option until the pain is so unbearable or other symptoms become so bad that I can't use my arm or leg for instance. No leg related problems I do have numbness and pain in my right arm though.

I am going for a checkup if you will in a few weeks - which will include a new MRI and then the discussions about new or continued plans on managing this will be formulated.

·
Registered
259 Posts
flyrider:

I'm open to anything - yes it is more than likely hereditary - have been dealing with this close to 10 years now. Advanced degenerative arthritis.

The real problem is managing the pain. Diet - hydration - physical therapy and avoid doing activities that are not good for my neck - like riding motorcycles all help.

The weight of my carbon fiber helmet is too much weight for my neck according to my doctors - not to mention what I put my neck through while riding - these days I'm 90% a track rider 10% all other riding.

By virtue of the riding position on sport bikes - it does not help my neck at all.

I'm not exactly old - I'm 60 and certainly want to ride as long as I can - I fight the aging process every day - in regard to - I never say I'm too old to being doing this or that.

Taking over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs has minimal results. Going to stronger pain medications has helped but then I'm on strong stuff and there is the side effects and management of those drugs that become tricky.

Surgery is not a guarantee fix - and really not an option until the pain is so unbearable or other symptoms become so bad that I can't use my arm or leg for instance. No leg related problems I do have numbness and pain in my right arm though.

I am going for a checkup if you will in a few weeks - which will include a new MRI and then the discussions about new or continued plans on managing this will be formulated.
Bruce - have you looked into stem cell therapy? I mentioned this in another thread, but my father has had fantastic results with stem cell and PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections in his back.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Bruce - have you looked into stem cell therapy? I mentioned this in another thread, but my father has had fantastic results with stem cell and PRP (platelet rich plasma) injections in his back.
It has not been brought up before but I will add it to my list of questions when I go in a few weeks. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flyrider:

Take any of this for what it's worth. First, pain medications as you know come with side effects. Any time we introduce a pharmaceutical into our bodies, we alter our bio-chemistry...and when you do that, something else in your body has to adjust to compensate. This can be fine, short-term, but longer-term there can be repercussions.

Regarding neck injury/arthritis: Some years ago I injured my neck playing golf. It happened that I got a stiff neck the day of a heavy practice session. That night I awoke to excruciating pain, and could not lift my right arm for a year. End of my good golf swing. Had MRI, saw neurosurgeon. What a guy...he examined me and the MRI, then he said: "We can do surgery...or (and he reached around behind himself to his credenza to grab something) you can read this book". It was "How to Treat Your Own Neck". I opted for the book, did the exercises and saved myself from surgery. It wasn't even that complicated. Maybe there is something in there for you, Bruce: https://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Neck-803-5/dp/0987650416

Arthritis is inflammation; inflammation can be caused by the foods we eat. Our gut is 70% of our immune system, and if that's in good order, many inflammatory diseases are thwarted.

You are a motorcycle enthusiast, and seeing you facing the possibility of not riding is awful. I hope something I've said can help. Try everything before surgery (I think even your surgeon would support that idea, if he's a good one).

Good luck, Bruce.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That does sound about right - lighter, more power, tft display, etc all seem on point. I hope it isn’t too much smaller. The real question is - will BMW pull off what they did with the first gen rr when it just leapfrogged and shocked the entire field? What would they need to do to really shake the tree? I’d love for them to kick Ducati and Aprilia ass.
I was given to believe that "leapfrogging" is exactly what BMW is going to do.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I wish it was the wrong helmet or gear. My neurologist and neurosurgeon don't even like/want me wearing a light carbon fiber helmet my neck is that bad.

C3 4,5,6 and 7 are in really bad shape - advanced degenerative arthritis is doing a number on them. Procedures and technology are changing all the time so maybe soon a fix/repair is in the plans.
Sorry to hear that. My co-worker had neck surgery on Monday to have the bottom 2 vertebrae fused. 2 month recovery. The others aren't in much better shape.

·
Registered
819 Posts
@BruceV, good luck with everything and keep riding that horse as long as you can. If anything you helped me today, More motivation. I'm going to get back on. My tests are done just waiting for results.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a 2019 with my name on it. Next level brahs.
What kinda next level are we talking about? Seems like all the bikes have a next level bit or two, but not everything. Even Honda have their impressive weight drop on the new bike.

The new Ducati V4 seems to have the Specs to leapfrog the rest... It's gonna take a bit to shave weight and improve the entire package while keeping Euro 4.

Anyway I'm just fishing for info.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
What kinda next level are we talking about? Seems like all the bikes have a next level bit or two, but not everything. Even Honda have their impressive weight drop on the new bike.

The new Ducati V4 seems to have the Specs to leapfrog the rest... It's gonna take a bit to shave weight and improve the entire package while keeping Euro 4.

Anyway I'm just fishing for info.
Yes, I can't wait to get the scoop from Benny. At least give us something that you know :)

1 - 20 of 3569 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.