BMW S1000RR Forum banner

481 - 500 of 502 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
2020 Tank Back Quick Attach

I want to get a small-ish tank bag with quick-release mount for my 2020 S1000RR. Unfortunately, the info on which tank adapters to get is very lacking and/or confusing. I'm looking at Oxford, SW-Motech, and Kappa.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if the fuel cap/fill assembly is same or different on 2020 S1000RR from previous model years and/or R1200GS and other BMWs? Some sites don't list an adapter for the S, but they do for R1200GS; and then other sites list an adapter for a S1000RR but not specifically for 2020 (I believe the new gen starts at 2019 in N. America and 2020 elsewhere [?]).

Here's a pic of mine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
The fuel cap assembly is the same in bolt structure. However, there is a slight size difference in the neck portion that goes into the tank. I just tried to put a K46 neck portion in a K67 fuel tank and that RED plastic part is the only difference in size/structure. The fuel cap part interchanges 100% as I have put the K46 Halo cap and base section on the K67 with no problem.

Reactions: Bandito

·
Registered
17 Posts
The fuel cap assembly is the same in bolt structure. However, there is a slight size difference in the neck portion that goes into the tank. I just tried to put a K46 neck portion in a K67 fuel tank and that RED plastic part is the only difference in size/structure. The fuel cap part interchanges 100% as I have put the K46 Halo cap and base section on the K67 with no problem.
Thanks so much! So, I gather then that a bolt-on tank bag lock ring for a S1000RR from about 2012 up should fit? Would you happen to know about any of the other BMW models?

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts
I only know the S1000R and RR what I would say is really good.. If the tank ring attaches to the bolt pattern on the fuel assembly from the 10-19, it will work on the 20. The 19 is Europe and the 20 is considered North America.

The only problem I see with the GS1200 and GS1250 is that there is fuel cap assembly with electric lock release, and then there is fuel cap with key only. I do know that the GS1200 Fuel cap assembly is the same in bolt pattern for the key version. I have brought a few locksets for those and 90% of the parts interchange.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Spanish motorcycle sites started sharing news about the new M chain which - BMW states - does not need lubing nor adjustment (meaning it does not stretch).
Not sure if it is a hoax or a joke or actually true. That would be great though. I could also have Wolverine claws now that Bmw invented adamantium.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Spanish motorcycle sites started sharing news about the new M chain which - BMW states - does not need lubing nor adjustment (meaning it does not stretch).
Not sure if it is a hoax or a joke or actually true. That would be great though. I could also have Wolverine claws now that Bmw invented adamantium.
I’m sure it won’t just like the shark fin doesn’t crack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
It’s a fact the chain needs less maintenance but if it will elongate lesss, that’s another matter or?

Would want one if BMW has it at reasonable price

·
Registered
114 Posts
It’s a fact the chain needs less maintenance but if it will elongate lesss, that’s another matter or?

Would want one if BMW has it at reasonable price

I would not take it for a fact until it is proved by endusers. bmw marketing team will tell you anything to get the sales figures up. (Weren't they lying that it takes 3 screws to remove the tail of the K67? I remember a guy's rant about it on YT.) I would love to get rid of all the chain lubing and cleaning so I do like the idea. But knowing it is bmw I have nothing but concerns until it is backed by actual facts and experiences from those who are not on bmw payroll.
And I am sure the price will be anything but reasonable. And not sure what I gain if sprockets wear out faster than the chain.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would not take it for a fact until it is proved by endusers. bmw marketing team will tell you anything to get the sales figures up. (Weren't they lying that it takes 3 screws to remove the tail of the K67? I remember a guy's rant about it on YT.) I would love to get rid of all the chain lubing and cleaning so I do like the idea. But knowing it is bmw I have nothing but concerns until it is backed by actual facts and experiences from those who are not on bmw payroll.
And I am sure the price will be anything but reasonable. And not sure what I gain if sprockets wear out faster than the chain.
Well, once you took all the cable connectors inside the box under the rear seat then later on it takes you 3 bolts to remove the rear license plate (which now I have).

The chain is around 350 usd equivalent in my country.
Plus mounting.....

Oh well how much is my time worth??

·
Vendor
2,833 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Funny thing I noticed today in the configurator:

It is portrayed as a full system that replaces the stock, even the catalytic converter monstrosity seems to be an Akra piece. I thought it was only a slipon. Can someone with more insight verify?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
481 - 500 of 502 Posts