BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buddy (not a forum member) who has an 18' S1000RR 11,800 miles. This past week his bike has been giving him issues. He brought it to my house and we used my GS-911 to check it out and got the following:
0x3A15A1 - Knock Control, Knock Sensor 1, no signal
0x480B8F - Front ESA Suspension Damping Adjustment short circuit
04x480B82 - Failsafe Leve 5: Hardware Failsafe.

I rode the bike and the engine seems to run fine, I'm assuming that Knock Sensor 1(not sure if its the right or left sensor) is on its way out if it hasn't completely failed already. He's gonna order both and replace them both, may as well I think.
The DDC codes are a real concern. The system has defaulted to the stiffest settings making it very uncomfortable to ride(I'm assuming this is the Failsafe Level 5: Hardware Failsafe code). We weren't able to calibrate the suspension using the bike's controls BUT I was able to calibrate the rear travel sensor using my GS-911. I'm wondering if there's an issue with the front fork sensor(the internal one. he's not running a 2D front travel sensor) that's causing the Failsafe. Is it possible to change that? Would the whole fork have to be taken apart? Is it worth doing that or just getting new/used forks? Is there a way to troubleshoot the DDC suspension? Does anyone have a wiring diagram with specifications i.e. resistance readings, voltages, etc?
Should we just assume the front forks should be replaced?
Thanks in advance for any input, advice, etc.

· Vendor
5,227 Posts
The level 5 is typically a sensor. @bennymx posted some reference to the level 1 / 2 / 3 but not sure that level 5 was included. ISTA does identify somewhat were to look for the level 5 issue. It might be the DDC and ESA

You can replace just the internals on the left fork tube if you want, or change the whole fork assembly. If it was me I would change the whole fork assembly with a lower mile salvaged unit off ebay.

You dont have to replace the right, but, if you get low mile left and right together, that is a plus to change both.

The knock sensor might be unplugged or loose. that is behind the engine head under the throttle bodies so they do come loose. It would be left side of the engine for KS1.

Reactions: SRod321

· Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@TheITguy it's not my bike but I'll suggest it lol. I've heard of a lot of guys dumping the DDC for ohlins. Does Ohlins make a DDC compatible variant?
@BMW_388 I was thinking if push comes to shove, order the internals to swap them BUT I didn't see a part number from BMW for the internals, just the whole assembly. Agreed though, if he can get both low mileage from ebay, may as well replace both. I feel like a dummy, we had the front fairings off and you could literally touch both knock sensors but I didn't think to check if the connections were tight(just like with MY bike smdh). I'll have him check and make sure they are both snug before he goes ahead and orders new sensors.

· Registered
583 Posts
@TheITguy it's not my bike but I'll suggest it lol. I've heard of a lot of guys dumping the DDC for ohlins. Does Ohlins make a DDC compatible variant?
@BMW_388 I was thinking if push comes to shove, order the internals to swap them BUT I didn't see a part number from BMW for the internals, just the whole assembly. Agreed though, if he can get both low mileage from ebay, may as well replace both. I feel like a dummy, we had the front fairings off and you could literally touch both knock sensors but I didn't think to check if the connections were tight(just like with MY bike smdh). I'll have him check and make sure they are both snug before he goes ahead and orders new sensors.
The Ohlin's are not digital although the Software flashing on the ECU will still allow the engineer/mechanic to have DTC. Most of the Track riders on S1000RR offload the digital suspension and go with a flash + Ohlin's setup. Ohlin's give you front end feedback. The Digital suspension dont. Well it never did for me. I would blindly trust it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts