BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 BMW S1000RR
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I have a 2018 S1000RR. I want to install a USB port to charge my phone on the front of the bike. I've been reading about this for a while now and still need some guidance. What have you used and what works? What parts should I buy? Do you know of any step by step or instructional videos? I would like to do it myself to learn my bike better. Thanks!

·
Administrator
7,583 Posts
Just buy a 12V usb charger socket off ebay. Then you need to order the connector from BMW.
You will need this:

Pin 1 is ground and Pin 3 is 12v

Located on the bike here: Right hand side of the frame at the front behind the fairing above the horn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ordered my port off eBay, didn’t cost much. I picked one that lights up red since my bike is red. I plugged into factory connector using BMW wiring as mentioned above. I drew a circle ⭕ and then drilled small holes and Swiss cheesed the opening and finished with dremel sanding drum. If you have tools and know how to use them it’s an easy install.

I’ve never used this usb, don’t regret installing it I simply just have never needed it.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I installed a simple motorcycle USB routed from the battery to the top of my brake fluid reservoir (affixed with 3M Dual Lock). I originally used the typical 2.1 amp version that most venders sell (identical, but under many names), but it didn't keep my phone fully charged when being used full time for music and navigation. I replaced the 2.1 amp version with the visually identical 3.1 amp version pictured below; that worked, it keeps my phone fully charged no matter what I'm doing. Again, 3.1 amp is the critical aspect; they're sold under many names.

Motopower 3.1 Amp USB Charger.jpg

·
Registered
778 Posts
Just buy a 12V usb charger socket off ebay. Then you need to order the connector from BMW.
You will need this:

Pin 1 is ground and Pin 3 is 12v

View attachment 215225

Located on the bike here: Right hand side of the frame at the front behind the fairing above the horn.
View attachment 215226
Hmmm, I believe I have #11, would #6 have been a better choice? I plan to run a GPS and my Walkman off of it, and those wires struck me as pretty tiny, not at all what I would have expected. I was hoping for 14ga or at least 16ga.

Thanks!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I ordered my port off eBay, didn’t cost much. I picked one that lights up red since my bike is red. I plugged into factory connector using BMW wiring as mentioned above. I drew a circle ⭕ and then drilled small holes and Swiss cheesed the opening and finished with dremel sanding drum. If you have tools and know how to use them it’s an easy install.

I’ve never used this usb, don’t regret installing it I simply just have never needed it.
Is the port waterproof? I've found it somewhat difficult finding a good waterproof one. I don't use eGay or Spamazon so I had to look for a marine products manufacturer/reseller. The bummer is, it seems like the dual port ones I found that ARE waterproof, are waterproof when the cap is on, plugging both ports. It would be nice to find one that was able to close off one port and still be waterproof. Although, it seems like the connection itself isn't waterproof, so maybe that's a moot point. It would be nice if someone made a sealed USB cable/socket combo where you could use only one and it would be sealed.

I stumbled on this, kinda like not having a cigarette lighter one.
12V-24V Waterproof Motorbike Motorcycle Charger Adapter with Dual USB Port Power Supply Socket for Phone Digital cameras - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don’t think it’s water proof, my bikes don’t see water ever. If I’m caught in the rain so be it, but I don’t ride in the rain. I like my bike clean, water ruins everything 💤

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don’t think it’s water proof, my bikes don’t see water ever. If I’m caught in the rain so be it, but I don’t ride in the rain. I like my bike clean, water ruins everything 💤
If you like it clean, you wash it, right? Or if you get caught in the rain? So, is water getting in there to possibly become a dead short and drain your battery or damage any electronics plugged in to it? Something to think about.

I just ordered that Wally-Mart special, and plan to mount it facing backwards (towards the tailsection) which should protect it even more. I have a big backup battery so if I get caught in the rain, I can unplug the GPS and Walkman from the port, and simply run them into the battery in my tankbag.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used a kit from “Techmount” it fits into your steering stub and give you a solid phone holder with different connectors for various devices, also has a wire you just route back to the battery so there’s no messing with the bikes CAN system, always has power when needed. You just have to make sure you don’t leave stuff plugged in after your ride, not been a problem for me.
Doesn’t interfere with any controls or steering.

·
5,086 Posts
The proper way to avoid connecting directly to battery and draining it if charged device left connected is to use aux plug as Benny said. It connects to switched power so when ignition is off battery cannot be drained even if device is left connected to aux power.

Plug number posted plus a 12v DC USB converter off ebay, remove the plug cover from under the clutch side fairing. You will need to solder or tape the 12v USB module to BMW plug wire ends.
USB converter is water proof, no need to drill fairings, I just left USB port hanging under left side light housing, secured with a velcro.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The USB ports themselves are not waterproof. I've seen some with a rubber sleeve that claimed to be that I didn't buy (literally and figuratively). When I encounter rain, I unplug the USB and the device and put the coiled cable I use in my tank bag and run my phone on it's own power until I'm out of the rain. Alternatively, if I expect more rain than the phone battery can get through, I use some electrical tape to seal the USB cable to the USB port and position the phone so the cable is facing the rear to minimize the chance of water entry at that point. It's very rare that I have to do this.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The USB ports themselves are not waterproof. I've seen some with a rubber sleeve that claimed to be that I didn't buy (literally and figuratively). When I encounter rain, I unplug the USB and the device and put the coiled cable I use in my tank bag and run my phone on it's own power until I'm out of the rain. Alternatively, if I expect more rain than the phone battery can get through, I use some electrical tape to seal the USB cable to the USB port and position the phone so the cable is facing the rear to minimize the chance of water entry at that point. It's very rare that I have to do this.
Yeah, it would be nice to have a truly waterproof USB connection WHILE powering devices, not just waterproof if you unplug everything and put the cover on the receptacle. But, until they do that, I guess I pull over, connect the Walkman to the backup battery in my tankbag, and put the raincover on that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts