BMW S1000RR Forum banner

2018 S1000RR - Full Exhaust

9K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  TheITguy 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I know there are a lot of threads on exhaust for sure and I am new to the forums but have been riding for over 10 years. I have a bunch of random items I want to bounce off the members to get some opinions. I want to say, I know exhausts are very “personal” and can be a touchy subject, because everyone likes a different look and sound, see’s value differently, has different finances and wants different things out of exhausts - power, weight savings, sound, looks etc.

Myself to be brutally honest, Looks and sound are tied for 1st place for me... then Titanium strictly for the colour changing properties in 2nd .... 3rd is power, weight saving and no ugly cat.

I personally absolutely love the look and sound of Austin Racing Titanium Full System - GP1R with the angular tip and laser etched logo instead of the sticker! However I have heard many issues on different forums about their “quality”. I was going to reach out to Bayside Performance out of British Colombia, Canada (great place to order from, Kevin the owner is a great guy and awesome easy to use website) I also noticed they removed the option “we no longer carry sell Austin racing”. I wonder if it’s the same issue.

Never the less if I don’t do Austin, I believe I have narrowed it down to two.

1. Akrapovic Evolution Full Titanium Race System. $2,900 to $3,100 Canadian depending on the shop/website.
With Akrapovic I know what to expect, perfection! My last 2 systems were Akra’s and everything was great from the sound to the fit and finish. My reason I’m not 100% sold is, it’s a “long tube” can. I like the shorty look... and it’s not that loud at lower speeds. This is my fallback system and will get this if nothing else pans out or I can’t make a decision.

2. Arrow Competition Evo Titanium Full System. $2,400 to $2,800 Canadian depending on the shop/website.
Never had arrow before, great reviews, Italian made. However I did hear a few things at meets and online about it potentially cooking/heating up/burning belly pans. Now I know on the 2018 it’s a little half pan, but I plan on doing the full carbon belly pan... there not cheap I don’t want to cook that lol. However I did see some local Toronto bikes with the Evo on and a lot of the youtuber 650IB’s friends with 17-18 S1K’s are all running the EVO’s. Never the less my positive with this system, looks clean, is small and shows off the polished swing arm.

Part 2 - O2 Sensors

My dealer is telling me if I do a full system to screw back in the factory O2 Sensors. However a few other performance shops are telling me to just remove them?

Part 3 - Piggy Back Systems & ECU Flashing

Now my personal plan is to rock the full system with nothing at first, see how it runs. I know it will be a little lean, will pop and crack and if it ends up running like a bag of marbles then I will flash the ECU.
I have made up my mind I don’t want to run a piggyback system in this bike. I understand done right is fine, I ran power commander and bazzaz on my last two bikes as well. However $30,000 motorcycle, all these electronics, I don’t want to start bitting into wires and messing with the electrical side of things at this point. I also understand after an ECU flash you can “fine tune” with a piggy back.

If I Flash, I’ve been following Bren Tunning for years and will probably pull the trigger on an IAT relocation kit, blue samco hoses, engine ice, sprint air filter, speedo unlock cluster, and flash. It’s not cheap, and they want a key, lock cylinder and ECU because of all the new restrictions but after reading there “write up” on the 17-18 flash on there website, these guys have done their homework!

After all that does anyone on here run a 17-18 with either that Akra Evo or Arrow shorty Evo?

Cheers

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry can’t help much as I don’t have either one ... but I just don’t understand the hate for the Cat look thing, I think the bike looks better and fuller with the cat than without, but hey that’s me. Now if you argue the weight and sound that’s understandable. (And perhaps the power for those 1% who do need more and can manage more, unlike the rest 99% who have enough skill to stay happy with stock power lol ...) again my opinion.

#3 · (Edited)
The bike will probably surge at idle without a fuel controller, mine is, and this common.
Also, I really don't think your're going to see the titanium as it's mostly behind the fairings.
You should be able to pick up the full titanium Evo system for $2000-2200 US.
Akra is the best performing system

I also have the carbon race belly pan, you will probably need to change it or insulate it

#4 ·
Darenline - Myself wanting to get rid of the cat I guess is just a personal preference, as well I have ordered a ilmberger carbon belly pan. I could care less about the extra power although anything would be bonus! I strictly want the look and sound ?

L8Apex - I realize I won’t most of the pipe for sure unfortunately but call me a sucker for the best I can buy on a bike I always wanted and plan on keeping! ? With the Canadian dollar being so poor after shipping unfortunately it works out to be more expensive if I buy it from the US ?

Brentunning also confirmed Akra is the best for tunning however I have a pretty good group of guys with s1000rr’s and I know all dynos read different and some are a little “happy” but arrow vs Akra on the dyno both full systems were talking 1-5 hp difference up and down across 7 BMW’s. So for me it’s going to come down to looks and sound.... plus what do I want to look at when it’s on the stands and I’m cleaning it lol ?

Cheers

#5 ·
I have a full system on my 2013. Given the amount of power that these bike have stock, on the balance I'd probably keep the cat on a new bike. The exhaust on a bike with no cat does horrific things to my upper respiratory tract - so much so that I now wear a respro mask whenever I ride it (and my throat and lungs still burn).

No cat is really nasty for humans and the environment. How many of us have the skills to really need that extra few HP?

#6 · (Edited)
I too have narrowed it down to the Arrow Evo shorty (without the sticker) and the Akra Evolution both in stainless, for me the Ti is not worth the extra money to me when you wont even see it no less.
These bikes run extremely hot! Removing the cat should cut down on some of that heat, and temps. I cant imagine riding this bike without leathers, its almost like riding on top of a furnace, its hotter then anything Ive ever ridden. The frame will burn you, the left side is worst, UGH.
Ive heard the same thing about the Arrow melting the belly pan on the left side. I also wonder if it cooks your foot? I too am getting the carbon belly pan and I think its insulated on the inside? Also people say the Arrow is loud and a lot end up getting rid of it.
Im not concerned with top end power, care more about the mid range power as the bike is wicked fast already.
I cant find any dyno charts on the Arrow to see where its making power. They say the long pipes make more power and I know the Akra does make a lot more mid range power then stock. As far as the 02 sensors, yes put them back in if not using fuel controller.
I also know BMW is very fond of the Akra exhaust.
Ive been racking my brain of which of these 2 exhaust to get and I hope either one would take care of the veering to the right issue.

#7 ·
I just installed the Akra full system (stainless headers, Ti can) 2 weeks ago on my 2018. I was in the same boat as you (wanted it for looks and sound) and I am not crazy about the long cans. Also, I was concerned about the short cans being too loud.
Let me tell you this thing sounds incredible and is plenty loud! I think you will be very happy with it.
Before I installed it, I was thinking I would remove the Db killer. After riding with it still installed for 2 weeks, I can say that it is plenty loud. I also removed the foam insert in the front of the intake, which probably made it a tad louder also.
I also installed a Rapid Bike EVO, which uses the stock O2 sensors.

#11 ·
I just installed the Akra full system (stainless headers, Ti can) 2 weeks ago on my 2018. I was in the same boat as you (wanted it for looks and sound) and I am not crazy about the long cans. Also, I was concerned about the short cans being too loud.
I also installed a Rapid Bike EVO, which uses the stock O2 sensors.
Refresh my memory, you have to splice wires for Rapidbike, right?

#19 ·
you need t
hey buddy! great looking bike there..
I have 17 with white and red. loving it.

i know this post is old but i am doing my research on full system.
did you remove servo motors on your bike after installing the Akra full system?

After Akra installation & before mapping, did you feel any power lost in mid or high rpms?

Appreciate your feedback.
You need to remove servo cables for sure. After that there are 2 options, either leave motor on the bike or buy ServoBuddy to plug the connector off. If you remove the motor, engine light will pop up.

There is no power loss and in reality you dont need the mapping as ECU is smart enough to tune itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.