BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Luck of the........

So far so good for me. I've got about 25k on my 2015 and no problems yet. I have the 3 year extended warranty I hope the motor doesn't pop after that lol.

O.P. let us know what you think about the process and new motor once it's in and running.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
my 2018 engine blew on the way home from work today. It has less than 4k miles. Does anyone have experience with manufacturer warranty in the past? Is it a big deal to get it covered under warranty? The electronics are stock and I rarely wheelie'd the bike for long periods of time other than the normal power punch exiting a long sweeping turn.

:crying:
If you're in CA you have very favorable lemon laws, if the bike is in service for more than 30 days they have to buy it back plus the cost of inconvenience.

Most dealers can't get a rebuild done with the proper expertise in 30 days. The engine replacement would require ordering from Germany, there is a 20% tariff on that versus a complete motor vehicle that has a 2.5% tariff.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
105 Posts
awesome thanks. This is extremely helpful. :grin2:
Hey, I would let them keep the lender bike, drop it off, and tell the service manager you're leaving the country for two months, play it chill, like no sweat, "I like the 2018 more than the 2020, last of the breed". He will put the job on the back burner.

If you go in there and throw a lemon law book in his face, he will call BMW and they will fly a factory guy in and he will have an engine swap done in 8 hours. Lemon Law buy backs really hurt them in consumer reports.

I know California and they can't hold of a decent motorcycle mechanic for a few weeks because they can't pay like a diesel engine shop. BMW Stuttgart can rebuild an engine and slap a warranty on it in less than 16 hours of labor. Just say'n but we have mechanics that live breath and sleep BMW for 20 years.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Hey, I would let them keep the lender bike, drop it off, and tell the service manager you're leaving the country for two months, play it chill, like no sweat, "I like the 2018 more than the 2020, last of the breed". He will put the job on the back burner.

If you go in there and throw a lemon law book in his face, he will call BMW and they will fly a factory guy in and he will have an engine swap done in 8 hours. Lemon Law buy backs really hurt them in consumer reports.

I know California and they can't hold of a decent motorcycle mechanic for a few weeks because they can't pay like a diesel engine shop. BMW Stuttgart can rebuild an engine and slap a warranty on it in less than 16 hours of labor. Just say'n but we have mechanics that live breath and sleep BMW for 20 years.
Bad advice about saying "I'm going out of town." If you cause a time delay as a customer then those days don't count towards your lemon-days.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2 months no bike yet. I went to the Alhambra shop and I got the run around of the engine barely being shipped this past week and I should have it back this week; supposedly. I am starting to wonder if I am actually getting a new engine or if the heads were rebuilt. Cylinder 1 had bent valves. I did not mark the block trusting BMW will keep their warranty service. We will see. I will guess this engine will not last long since it is the same failed designed. It has no revisions.

·
Registered
880 Posts
2 months no bike yet. I went to the Alhambra shop and I got the run around of the engine barely being shipped this past week and I should have it back this week; supposedly. I am starting to wonder if I am actually getting a new engine or if the heads were rebuilt. Cylinder 1 had bent valves. I did not mark the block trusting BMW will keep their warranty service. We will see. I will guess this engine will not last long since it is the same failed designed. It has no revisions.
Did they give you a loaner bike or not? I don't think most dealers offer that service.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I understand you skepticism but there's no way BMW or one of their dealerships would do this. This sort of fraud can end the dealership. Not worth the risk to them.

Also, in order to get paid for warranty work (or rather lower their owed balance to BMWAG), dealerships need to get warranty work (especially blown engines) approved by Germany. Germany would never approve such a devious act. And doing so would also involve a paper-trail of documents just to get the approval, so again: definitely wouldn't happen for that reason (and others).

If they were to only rebuild the heads, they would inform you of that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2 months? Time to start talking lemon law with them.

IMO any warranty repair that takes enough time to matter should extend the warranty by double the repair time: if it takes 2 months to fix it, you should get that 2 months back AND get an extra 2 month extension.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts

IMO any warranty repair that takes enough time to matter should extend the warranty by double the repair time: if it takes 2 months to fix it, you should get that 2 months back AND get an extra 2 month extension.
Lemon law in California doesn't extend to motorcycles.

But I agree, 2 months is too long.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Bad advice about saying "I'm going out of town." If you cause a time delay as a customer then those days don't count towards your lemon-days.

Lemon law in California doesn't extend to motorcycles.

But I agree, 2 months is too long.
Lemon law does extend to bikes, a friend of mine owns a Honda dealership. He had to buy back a bike and pay 20k legal fees to the other lawyer because he thought the same thing. Lemon laws apply to any DOT registered vehicle.

At this point it’s irrelevant, the dealer took over 30 days to fix it. It’s an issue with BMW.

Trust me lemon laws are a mother in Cali. There’s lawyers that make a good living on it.

https://www.normantaylor.com/blog/2018/january/does-the-lemon-law-apply-to-motorcycles-/

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I guess I never replied to the thread. I got the bike back finally after a couple of months. The warranty program replaced the engine at no cost. I am still covered until 3yrs.

Let's see how long this one will last. :grin2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was your engine covered by warranty?
Yes it was...Took around 45 days in total and spent around a good week fighting with BMW Motorrad USA because they said it was due to it being ridden hard and not normal wear and tear. I had the dealer go ahead and open her up to see the approximate costs to fix. When they did, they submitted the repair as warranty and so it was covered.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts