BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2018 engine blew on the way home from work today. It has less than 4k miles. Does anyone have experience with manufacturer warranty in the past? Is it a big deal to get it covered under warranty? The electronics are stock and I rarely wheelie'd the bike for long periods of time other than the normal power punch exiting a long sweeping turn.

:crying:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't know for sure - I imagine it would be hard for them to prove that you were at fault if the bike is still in warranty less than three years since purchase (should be). If you have any exhaust/power upgrades I would swap back to stock before you bring it back in if you can. If you search there have been some horror stories of dealers denying claims for some really shady reasons. The shop i purchased from "promised" that if I put on a full exhaust or fuel manager it wouldn't drop the warranty - but I would still swap back to stock before bringing it in.

·
4,669 Posts
What mods do you have on the bike?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool thanks. I am wondering if it will get replaced or the casings will be opened then repair the failing the problem or if I will actually get a factory sealed engine.

·
Administrator
6,785 Posts
cool thanks. I am wondering if it will get replaced or the casings will be opened then repair the failing the problem or if I will actually get a factory sealed engine.
It will be a new engine. It is almost never a repair. Because the damage sustained requires a new engine. They will always still open it for pictures and info on what occurred though.

·
4,669 Posts
With a stock bike, then you have nothing to worry about. However, it's not always a new engine, BMW chooses best path to save money, try to rebuild the engine (they did that to me and few others) but I insisted on new engine or buy-back, BMW chose the latter. But with 4k miles on the bike most likely they will give you a new engine.

It's a good proof that K47 engine had issues and high failure rate. Waiting on forum peasants president @smash adams to say it was rain that caused your engine failure :grin2:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just came back from dropping off the bike. Yep you guys are right it's a new engine replacement. The tech turned on the bike and witness the top end knocking and white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I played possum with no idea what caused it. >:)

Tuesday I am getting a loaner. Hopefully it's not an electric bike. :grin2:

Does anyone have a link of list of engine models? I never had a problem with my 2014.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry to see, but it should be replaced without worry.

In Nov.2018, I bought a ‘17 RR with 1,111 miles on the odo from a dealer.....it had a brand new engine, as the original blew up. I had to do the 600 mile break-in per the dealer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not going to lie it was kind of cool blowing the engine @ 90+. This is my 3rd blown motor. My other two where Italian engines at lower speeds. This time I looked like the Nasa shuttle taking off.:grin2:

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Whats going to suck is if the dealer turns on the RPM limiter again for the 600 mile break in period. You likely want to take it easy for the first bit anyway to break it in and make sure you don't have any other issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was given a s1000r as a loaner today. :grin2: fun bike
It's a nice bike. I was pleasantly surprised as well.

I recently blew my engine on my 2018 as well but I had 12K miles on it. Took a while but once I got it back knocked out the 600mi break in the very next weekend.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. It's agile in traffic. It deminds me of my old ducati monster. This bike can easily dip into the turns, although the power is a bit less, and @ 90+ the wind hits a little harder.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is almost going to be a month without the double R. I feel 50/50 about it. I don't miss it to be honest. I just miss the power. The engine is being replaced. It just has to go through a lot of red tape to get it replaced. I personally think it is stupid just replace the engine, rather than to spend time re-engineering the failing components. It doesnt look like BMW is working on fixing the bugs. It's just giving you a new fresh installation of windows 10 with all the adware. I don't know the exact details, so I can only comment from my experience.

My SV track takes a harder beating than my RR and that hasn't broken. :grin2:........................................................ yet

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear your misfortune. Only warranty experience I had were all on Ducati’s (go figure). From shift forks to bad hydraulics in the brake and clutch to hot start problems to bad fork seals to simple buttons not working... list goes on with Ducati’s.

As for re-engineering the parts, they only do that if it’s more cost effective to spend money towards R&D than to replace the engine. This kinda goes hand in hand with recalls. If enough people sue and the cost of damages exceeds fixing the problem, then they issue the recall.

If the problem isn’t common, they will try to find anything that says it was your fault so they don’t have to pay. Otherwise, only when it is deemed a manufacturers defect, you will be covered. Hopefully in your case it’ll be covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, sorry to hear your misfortune. Only warranty experience I had were all on Ducati’s (go figure). From shift forks to bad hydraulics in the brake and clutch to hot start problems to bad fork seals to simple buttons not working... list goes on with Ducati’s.

As for re-engineering the parts, they only do that if it’s more cost effective to spend money towards R&D than to replace the engine. This kinda goes hand in hand with recalls. If enough people sue and the cost of damages exceeds fixing the problem, then they issue the recall.

If the problem isn’t common, they will try to find anything that says it was your fault so they don’t have to pay. Otherwise, only when it is deemed a manufacturers defect, you will be covered. Hopefully in your case it’ll be covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahhh yes ducati. I've broken two of those engines. Unfortunately I didn't have warranty on those, so I parted them out on ebay.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts