BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was expecting 17 to be up on power too, versus the 15/16 tears. I wonder how USA model compares, new to old.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
17 is 10 hp down
Has this result been duplicated elsewhere? BMW claims 199 hp, same as '15-'16:

From BMW website:

The S 1000 RR’s liquid-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine is capable of 199 hp (146 kW) at 13,500 r.p.m. and a maximum torque of 83 lb-ft at 10,500 r.p.m.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
The video was sort of puffy.
Guy's trying to generate interest, so you'll eventually buy a subscription to the mag.

The runs we're not on the same day, which they admitted, but he continued with the "probably this and probably that."

Thanks for posting, but I don't know that there's much to be learned by that video,other than a difference in the power curve between the prior model year bike and the 17 m.y.

Btw, sh!t poor vid quality too, for a mag, I'd expect better, even that Igor650 or eeeb 650 has better vid quality.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

From BMW website:

The S 1000 RR’s liquid-cooled four-cylinder in-line engine is capable of 199 hp (146 kW) at 13,500 r.p.m. and a maximum torque of 83 lb-ft at 10,500 r.p.m.
I don't think the part I highlighted from your quote was part of the narrative in describing the 2015/2016 model year RR's.

From memory it stated it was...
is RATED AT
:smile2:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I don't think the part I highlighted from your quote was part of the narrative in describing the 2015/2016 model year RR's.

From memory it stated it was...
is RATED AT
:smile2:
Pops...I'm lost here. Is this result saying the new bike definitively makes less power, or that this particular bike did, in this particular test? Forgive my naivete...I'm not a savant in this regard...

:grin2:

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Pops...I'm lost here. Is this result saying the new bike definitively makes less power, or that this particular bike did, in this particular test? Forgive my naivete...I'm not a savant in this regard...

:grin2:
Neither am I, but I have a good nose for bullshit!t.
IMO the video is inconclusive. Test two different bikes in a climate controlled environment, on the same day.
They did not.
In spite of this, if what you pasted is a direct, unaltered quote, it would seem to indicate...
BMW acknowledges that in stock form the 17m.y. bike makes less than 199hp at the crankshaft or countershaft sprocket.
(Unclear which they acquire the number, some mfg's have used one or the other in the past, usually the crank, because it's a higher number, but I suspect BMW uses countershaft sprocket- or simply the countershaft, since it's rear wheel numbers are always measurably higher than other mfg's​ -cough cough Ducati).
I'm almost certain ever since the introduction of the RR, the material always read "is rated at" - 193 hp 2010-14, and 199 HP 2015/2016.
So they could have snuck that change in description in there, to acknowledge the slight castration for m.y. 2017, without making a huge deal out of it, and most likely hurting sales.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Stills says "Rated output 199 hp (146 kW) at 13,500 rpm" on the BMW site.
I would think that would probably be their most current verbiage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This is not crank hp, it's to the wheel. So the question is; are the restrictions on the 17 robbing more HP than the 15/16 models? From what I got from them, they were complaining that the answer might be true. But like stated earlier, even if the 15 and 17 were run one after another on the same day, the numbers can not be trusted completely. Either way, the difference is minimal. I like the 15 better from the side view due to exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
This is not crank hp, it's to the wheel. So the question is; are the restrictions on the 17 robbing more HP than the 15/16 models? From what I got from them, they were complaining that the answer might be true. But like stated earlier, even if the 15 and 17 were run one after another on the same day, the numbers can not be trusted completely. Either way, the difference is minimal. I like the 15 better from the side view due to exhaust.
Yes, fairly certain everyone who's commented understands this, the point is it's still relative.
Power diminishes from crankshaft to countershaft and then again at the tire contact patch.

Off topic a bit, but a shaft driven motorcycle would show even less hp at the rear wheel vs a chain driven version of the exact spec bike, that uses a chain and sprockets.

Really, what does it matter, if the 17 m.y. bike has slightly less hp? It seems logical that it would, because BMW added a bunch of required emissions devices that weren't present in prior model years, and there is 0 mention of any new components added (different cams) to help combat the parasitic loss, from the additional mandatory components.

AFIK this is STILL the only bike you can buy in the USA, for under $20,000 weighing less than 500 lbs wet, makes in excess of 175rwhp, AND 3YR 36,000 mile FACTORY warranty standard, at no additional charge.

Very very very few of us -worldwide- can use it to it's ultimate potential, even 1/10th of our ownership experience.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
AFIK this is STILL the only bike you can buy in the USA, for under $20,000 weighing less than 500 lbs wet, makes in excess of 175rwhp, AND 3YR 36,000 mile FACTORY warranty standard, at no additional charge.

Very very very few of us -worldwide- can use it to it's ultimate potential, even 1/10th of our ownership experience.
You said it all, Pops...:grin2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

From BMW website:

Haha and the new R1, ZX10, gixxer all claim 200 as well but in reality until they have been tuned they are no where near those numbers. My mates new R1M put down 160hp before tune now it's up to 180hp which on that dyno is what a S1000RR puts up. You'd have to be pretty special or not mechanically minded to think an extra cat will make the same hp as a bike without it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts