BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2016 premium and wonder what the original Pirelli tires were on the bike (size and model of Pirelli). I wore the particular model out and replaced with other ones that I had at the time. I came across the Pirelli Diablo Rossi ones on sale but do not want to place an inferior tire on this performance bike. Thanks

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
119 Posts
Size is determined by the wheels you have. 120 always on the front but 200 on the rear if you have forgies, unsure for the cast wheels. And they are Rossi III’s

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
on my 2016 the orginals were Metzler K3

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Size is determined by the wheels you have. 120 always on the front but 200 on the rear if you have forgies, unsure for the cast wheels. And they are Rossi III’s
Seems like it depends on the country too. My '15 came with forgies and Pirelli Supercorsa's.

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
119 Posts
I think it ultimately comes down to the type of riding you are doing and personal preferance. There is no universal tire that excels in all aspects of riding. Several great options around that have been discussed on here too.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? Or, as a popular saying in America goes: "How fast can you afford to go?" Also, what temps/weather conditions will you be riding in, and how hard do you ride?

I for one LOVED the Supercorsas that came on mine. Unlike people that are "wannabe racers" on the street and run race pressures in their tires (end destroy them in short order without actually going any faster), I ran street pressures (40psi R/34psi F) and got 5,631 miles out of the rear tire! It was weird, but I only got 2,735mi out of the front, but others that ran the same types of pressures I ran here saw very similar mileage. No biggie, I ran 2 front tires to a rear vs 2 rears to a front as is more the norm. Pricey, but AMAZING tires, made you feel like Superman.

Me, I've used Metzler M7's since then. Not quite the Superman feeling, but much cheaper. I'll try the new M9 when my current set run out, they're supposedly better in every way.

I've also heard good things about the Michelin Power RS and Power GP, but I'm used to my Metzlers, so...

Best of luck!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I own a 2016 premium and wonder what the original Pirelli tires were on the bike (size and model of Pirelli). I wore the particular model out and replaced with other ones that I had at the time. I came across the Pirelli Diablo Rossi ones on sale but do not want to place an inferior tire on this performance bike. Thanks
The Supercorsa are awesome for the summer, warm weather and dry roads. The Metzeler Racetec K3 are awesome under these conditions as well. I have tried the Rosso but I personally prefer the aforementioned two. However... the "best" tire depends on your intended use. For example, on a recent bike I purchased, I asked the dealer to remove the OEM Supercorsa and install a pair of Bridgestone S21 which cost less than half of the Supercorsa, because it was November, I live in WA, and I am riding street. I kept the Supercorsas for the summer and installed them before my track day. So depending on your use, a cheaper tire may actually be superior for what it does in the given conditions.

I just installed a pair of Bridgestone: S22 rear and RS11 front. I am just back from a quick ride to get a feel for the tires. The feel from the tires is not any worse than the Metzeler K3, at significant savings. Very comfortable for the street, and 42 degree lean felt uneventful.

tl;dr; The "best" tire exists only in the context of its intended use.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
The Supercorsa are awesome for the summer, warm weather and dry roads. The Metzeler Racetec K3 are awesome under these conditions as well. I have tried the Rosso but I personally prefer the aforementioned two. However... the "best" tire depends on your intended use. For example, on a recent bike I purchased, I asked the dealer to remove the OEM Supercorsa and install a pair of Bridgestone S21 which cost less than half of the Supercorsa, because it was November, I live in WA, and I am riding street. I kept the Supercorsas for the summer and installed them before my track day. So depending on your use, a cheaper tire may actually be superior for what it does in the given conditions.

I just installed a pair of Bridgestone: S22 rear and RS11 front. I am just back from a quick ride to get a feel for the tires. The feel from the tires is not any worse than the Metzeler K3, at significant savings. Very comfortable for the street, and 42 degree lean felt uneventful.

tl;dr; The "best" tire exists only in the context of its intended use.
I agree about the temperature issue, which is why I mentioned it. I was actually surprised at the cold grip of the Supercorsa's. I rode the mtn's in CO at 40deg F and never had an issue. I tend to get tires up to temp quick, and I'm cautious until I do, so, I'm sure that helped. The only time I had an issue was in an emergency stop for an idiot cager and I could feel the ABS at the back kick in. So, contrary to popular belief, you CAN use the Supercorsas if you keep in mind they are maybe not AS good as, say, and M7 when it's colder than about 40deg, but I don't ride in that kind of cold anyway.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like it depends on the country too. My '15 came with forgies and Pirelli Supercorsa's.
Canada is where I live. You are right they were the supercorsa's. thanks I like these tires and will purchase new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts