BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealership today getting my forks checked. The service manager said there is a recall on shifter put into the system few days ago and it's important to get it replaced.

If you have a 2015 go to your dealership. I'm still waiting my bike to be done later today, once I pick it up I'll update this thread with exact part replaced. Be safe!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I was at the dealership today getting my forks checked. The service manager said there is a recall on shifter put into the system few days ago and it's important to get it replaced.

If you have a 2015 go to your dealership. I'm still waiting my bike to be done later today, once I pick it up I'll update this thread with exact part replaced. Be safe!
Thanks, I'll look into it. Mine doesn't like to "quickshift" down....

·
Registered
327 Posts
I called my service manager and he said that he has not received, nor seen any type of recall pop up for the 15 RR.

I also looked on the NHTSA website and no recalls pop up for the 15 RR.

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called my service manager and he said that he has not received, nor seen any type of recall pop up for the 15 RR.

I also looked on the NHTSA website and no recalls pop up for the 15 RR.
Not all dealerships update their systems at the same time. Also, this is dependent on your VIN. I would at least give them your VIN number to check. I'm picking up my bike in few hours, I'll have more info on recall by then.

NHTSA takes a long time to update so I would not rely on it for most up-to-date recalls.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
See, this thread: click

An additional note: if you have replaced the shifter with an aftermarket unit (even HP rearsets) BMW will not give you the replacement shifter even if you bring the original OEM one in for exchange. If you want the new shifter, show up at the dealership with the OEM shifter installed.

(Of course, you may be able to negotiate a swap with your dealer. Mine conscientiously checked with BMW first.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 15 was at the dealer today for a 95 spring in right fork and a 16 sprocket. When I picked it up they had also done the replacement of the shift arm. Good service; Bob's BMW, MD

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I picked up my bike. She so damn smooth now.
@Elk

Nope, I showed up with a modded S1kRR (HP rearsets, etc...). The dealership still replaced the shifter arm. No questions asked.

For folks that want recall details:

BMW defect code: 00 23 11 00 00

FRU number: 2341329

New part number to be installed: 23418548394 Gearbox shift lever.

Current lever has a manufacturing defect that causes various issues. Take above info and go to your dealership folks. Be safe!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I picked up my bike. She so damn smooth now.

@Elk

Nope, I showed up with a modded S1kRR (HP rearsets, etc...). The dealership still replaced the shifter arm. No questions asked.

For folks that want recall details:

BMW defect code: 00 23 11 00 00

FRU number: 2341329

New part number to be installed: 23418548394 Gearbox shift lever.

Current lever has a manufacturing defect that causes various issues. Take above info and go to your dealership folks. Be safe!
What are the putative issues? My shifter works so smoothly it's hard to imagine anything being wrong with it.

·
Premium Member
4,048 Posts
As I indicated, one may very well be able to negotiate a swap with your dealer even if you have non-OEM rearsets. BMW however wants things handled differently. Thus, my suggestion to talk to the dealer to see what you can arrange.

As for the recall: some of the 2015 shift arms were made where they do not mate well with the splines of the transmission. The recall replaces the shifter itself and the bolt that holds it on to address this mismatch.

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
^ This is the part that was replaced.

Not sure why ELK thinks BMW will have issues replacing that part.

@Elk I did not even have to say anything. I told my service manager about the leak on my fork. He plugged my VIN, then told me in addition to the forks the shifter arm will be replaced under a recall. After 5 hours I picked up my bike and it was all good.

I could see what you're saying applying for other parts. My servomotor cables snapped, when I had the dealership look at them they said there wear and tear items, I had an aftermarket slipon that was not installed by the dealership, and replacing bowden cables in this case is not covered under warranty. I bought the cables and replaced them in my garage.

To be on the safe side, in some cases like above having all oem parts help I guess.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
This is a recall. BMW should replace it even if an owner has aftermarket rearsets. The part is failing even under stock condition.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is a recall. BMW should replace it even if an owner has aftermarket rearsets. The part is failing even under stock condition.
I shall soon test this with MY dealer, as my Attack Performance rearsets are going on this weekend, and the gear lever part has not yet arrived. Will post back.
BTW, that same spline already failed on my bike; it worked loose, hindering shifting, so I had to push it back in, and tighten the bolt. It's working now, but shifting is very notchy, especially at the end of a long ride. Something (probably not the lever) gets worse with time/heat. It mainly affects the "blipping", at the end of a long ride (or track time), downshifting barely triggers the blip, and the sensation to the foot is as if I am stepping on glass. Very "crunchy", not positive. Hmmm...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Funny when you just bought the bike and after a few hundred miles you know there is something wrong with the shifter, but the BMW service manager dismisses the claim by saying it's operator error.

1 - 20 of 185 Posts