BMW S1000RR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 85 Posts

7,509 Posts
luker669 said:
Few suspension tuners know the DDC . I would suggest you listen to peeps that are using it have tried different setting . Most of the setting posted are very close to what a Bmw s1000rr test riders told me .That has hundred of laps with a data logger and a Bmw engineer analyzing it .So in closing your suspension tuner doesn't know what he is doing when it comes to DDC.
Thank you! Finally someone with a useful response. Sure, the tuner that worked on my bike could have made a mistake. I'll get it checked by another shop.

I think you have good intentions. You really want to learn. You ask some reasonable questions. Problem is, you've offended people along the way, including me. This has caused people to become hypersensitive and/or hypercritical of you and your questions and comments.

This one post alone shows how immature you are. Do you recall what you wrote when I asked about lever angle? That's the kind of stuff that will make people not like you. Go join a different forum if you want to talk like this. It's not that we're better than others. We just prefer not to deal with immature BS. May I remind you how helpful we were the first time you nearly crashed your bike? That's gone because of the way you carry yourself. Just listen to what people have to say. Don't get defensive.
I don't get defensive. If someone says something stupid, they will hear something stupid in return. I have zero tolerance for bad/elitist attitude. As you mentioned my intention is to learn and share. If someone does not like what I'm saying, either correct me in a rational constructive way, or silence is golden.

Just like in real life, some people just don't get along. Ignore list for the rescue, we can all carry on.

· Administrator
7,416 Posts
fredaroony - Don't want to get into a tire war, but Pirelli/Metzeler tires will give you a softer ride due to a more compliant carcass compared to a Dunlop. HOWEVER the more touring oriented the tire (read higher mileage) the stiffer the carcass must be, therefore back to stiff ride on the M7RR's. The M5's would be a better choice in my opinion if you are seeking a softer ride.
For a more responsive tire I like the Dunlops, even at 34/36 f/r I can run over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails. I would think the M7RRs are even stiffer judging by the difficulty people have installing them. Just my opinion, try some other tires and report back, I've never used a Bridgestone or a Michelin street tire for years, and I'm sure they have some good ones.

· Banned
631 Posts
fredaroony - Don't want to get into a tire war, but Pirelli/Metzeler tires will give you a softer ride due to a more compliant carcass compared to a Dunlop. HOWEVER the more touring oriented the tire (read higher mileage) the stiffer the carcass must be, therefore back to stiff ride on the M7RR's. The M5's would be a better choice in my opinion if you are seeking a softer ride.
For a more responsive tire I like the Dunlops, even at 34/36 f/r I can run over a dime and tell if it's heads or tails. I would think the M7RRs are even stiffer judging by the difficulty people have installing them. Just my opinion, try some other tires and report back, I've never used a Bridgestone or a Michelin street tire for years, and I'm sure they have some good ones.
I found was twitchy in colder weather hence why I was thinking of the tyre and I tried quite a few different temps.

I also bought a Hyperpro steering damper which helped a bit.

Still not as planted as my last two Fireblades.

· Banned
4,430 Posts
Extremely interesting, especially as you are running the manual recommended 42 psi which many opine is far too high.

I am also intrigued that you wore out the front first, and much sooner than I have experienced.
Actually, from the sticker on the swingarm, it's 42psi rear 36psi front if I remember. I usually run 2 psi down on this "max", so I'm running 40psi rear 34 psi front, which is what I always ran on the Metzler M3's I ran for years.

I have a little over 4,000 on the rear as of yesterday, and STILL haven't touched the first wear bars on the rear. For reference, it was a more mellow day for me, still feeling sick.....but still did 49deg R and 47deg L, so I'm not totally babying them. And it seems I'm a good 10lbs heavier than Tom, and haven't even set sag or touched the suspension, so I'd have to think it was the pressure he was running.

Maybe they "opine" that, but the Engineers/test riders spec'd that out, they feel great to me, and stick like glue, and the turn-in and stability are great as well. Maybe I'm doing something right?...... :) Now, if I was running them on the track, I might lower the pressure to what is recommended for the tires for track days......

· Banned
4,430 Posts
In each mode there's a different damper characteristic apllied - no documentation or any details available as far as my knowledge goes :nerd:
SUPPOSEDLY Rain mode and Sport mode DDC are the same, per the manual. I THOUGHT it felt a little softer, but it may be psychological. IS there a difference? I want to say it's the "Road" DDC setting?

· Premium Member
755 Posts
SUPPOSEDLY Rain mode and Sport mode DDC are the same, per the manual. I THOUGHT it felt a little softer, but it may be psychological. IS there a difference? I want to say it's the "Road" DDC setting?
At least for the user mode and in the race calibration software there are 3 different settings you can assign to each mode: sport, race, slick...but no further details.

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I'm kinda surprised that they didn't just bolt on the same system as the HP4/15 RR. Riding the S1000R isn't really that different so why would they have the suspension options set out that way.

· Banned
4,430 Posts
At least for the user mode and in the race calibration software there are 3 different settings you can assign to each mode: sport, race, slick...but no further details.
Right, that's what I read too. Must have been a psychological thing..... :)

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Tyre wear seems to be coming along ok. Now -1 on front damping and rear set at +4 rebound. I think the front graining is just where I'm braking in to and the extra wear closer to the edge is where I've opened the throttle and turned it a bit more.

Really enjoyed the ride today. RACE ABS definitely let's the rear wheel leave the ground a bit, but is not nearly as intrusive as SPORT ABS.

Attachments

· Premium Member
3,277 Posts
Tyre wear seems to be coming along ok. Now -1 on front damping and rear set at +4 rebound. I think the front graining is just where I'm braking in to and the extra wear closer to the edge is where I've opened the throttle and turned it a bit more.

Really enjoyed the ride today. RACE ABS definitely let's the rear wheel leave the ground a bit, but is not nearly as intrusive as SPORT ABS.
Looks good. Yes, the edge of the rear is smooth due to neutral input. That area of wear is where the throttle is rolled on.

· Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
I can't imagine those settings being anywhere close to a proper setup on the track.

No offense but you probably don't even know what a properly set up bike feels like

Funny how there is now a thread p about how a suspension shop set up his bike incorrectly. I think you and others, like @luker669, told him most people don't know DDC. I think someone owes you an apology.

7,509 Posts
Funny how there is now a thread p about how a suspension shop set up his bike incorrectly. I think you and others, like @luker669, told him most people don't know DDC. I think someone owes you an apology.
I'm sorry, I trusted the suspension shop and I should not have. I'm more mad about the shop messing up the sag setup. The DDC is about trial and error, even though the shop did not set it up correctly either.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.