BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, was talking to Floyd the other day about what to do if this engine is seized like i suspect. He pointed out it might be a good time to upgrade to a '15+ engine and electronics. That would first, give me some updates for all the headaches and second, eliminate everything Supplier 2 messed with, so i can trust the bike again. Yes, i know it's more logical to just trade bikes, but i'm attached to this bike, so i'll do the best i can with what i have out of stubbornness at this point.

Question is has anyone installed a 15+ in the older frame? Floyd said there are some sensor differences, but if i upgrade electrical, that's fine. he mentioned the different mounting points that he's seen on his bench setup. Alpha said BMW sells the parts to convert. I saw in another thread on the forum where there were even a couple different mounting options in the 10-14 frames. Thru bolts vs. threaded into engine.

i should also note that ideally, i'll tear down the 2010 engine, see if the bottom end is still solid with all the alpha rods and pistons, and maybe i can replace the head up and have a good race engine. I could use a '15 head that would have the same connector sensors as the '15. I'd much prefer to solve this challenge with COTS parts vs. have to modify cases if possible.

Any experience with this is appreciated as we keep thinking about what/how to get this thing once he gets it. thanks!

Banned
You might be cheaper, and with less headache, just getting a good used '15. The frame is better, the DDC (if that's your thing - it is mine) is better.

Reactions: verrucktaxe

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
You might be cheaper, and with less headache, just getting a good used '15. The frame is better, the DDC (if that's your thing - it is mine) is better.
completely agree my approach is not the logical one, but i'm attached to this bike and stubbornly going to have it running one way or the other. just trying to find a sensible approach to an illogical goal.

Registered
Just by looking at geometry data, 2010 is better for me than 2015, but that is just my preference. I want a very sensitive geometry.
2015 geometry is better for anyone who wants a little more stable bike than 2010.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Just by looking at geometry data, 2010 is better for me than 2015, but that is just my preference. I want a very sensitive geometry.
2015 geometry is better for anyone who wants a little more stable bike than 2010.
that's an interesting note. when i bought my '10, i couldn't believe how much faster it tipped into a turn than the 2000 aprilia mille i had, but figured that was just a decade of progress. However, it still feels like it tips in easier than my now 2019 aprilia rsv4rf. maybe that was just an aggressive frame. That makes me want to keep my 10 frame even more.

Banned
that's an interesting note. when i bought my '10, i couldn't believe how much faster it tipped into a turn than the 2000 aprilia mille i had, but figured that was just a decade of progress. However, it still feels like it tips in easier than my now 2019 aprilia rsv4rf. maybe that was just an aggressive frame. That makes me want to keep my 10 frame even more.
Are the mounting points the same? You'd hope so, but... Not like there's a lot of room there to go fabbing motor mounts, unlike a motor swap in a car. Honestly, if you're doing that, why not find a "totalled" 2020 that the motor is still good in and put that in? Although, with that swap, I'd say if there's a chance a 2015 will fit in a 2010, there's probably zero chance the motor mounts are the same for a 2020 because of that "pre-bent" (LOL) frame.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Are the mounting points the same? You'd hope so, but... Not like there's a lot of room there to go fabbing motor mounts, unlike a motor swap in a car. Honestly, if you're doing that, why not find a "totalled" 2020 that the motor is still good in and put that in? Although, with that swap, I'd say if there's a chance a 2015 will fit in a 2010, there's probably zero chance the motor mounts are the same for a 2020 because of that "pre-bent" (LOL) frame.
i've got a solid known history low mile '18 engine going in it that i can trust, so that's key. looks like it'll go in place with different mounting hardware, so that's good too. 2015-2018 are same mounts, looks like the 10-14 can vary between old through bolts and new single sided bolts. i want to be able to build that old 10 engine into a race motor down the road and be able to swap back and forth. also upgrading to 15 electronics, so i'll have some updated features, which will be nice. looking forward to cruise and power up/down shift vs just upshift. i have both on the aprilia, so i keep clicking down on the bmw and it doesn't always want to go.

Banned
i've got a solid known history low mile '18 engine going in it that i can trust, so that's key. looks like it'll go in place with different mounting hardware, so that's good too. 2015-2018 are same mounts, looks like the 10-14 can vary between old through bolts and new single sided bolts. i want to be able to build that old 10 engine into a race motor down the road and be able to swap back and forth. also upgrading to 15 electronics, so i'll have some updated features, which will be nice. looking forward to cruise and power up/down shift vs just upshift. i have both on the aprilia, so i keep clicking down on the bmw and it doesn't always want to go.
So, the mounting points are the same, just different hardware? That's good news! Nice that you found a known '18 motor! You'll probably need to change out all the handlebar controls then to get cruise control, and all the other functionality that the newer ones have. After 20+ years of riding without, I LOVE my cruise control and wouldn't really consider a bike without it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
So, the mounting points are the same, just different hardware? That's good news! Nice that you found a known '18 motor! You'll probably need to change out all the handlebar controls then to get cruise control, and all the other functionality that the newer ones have. After 20+ years of riding without, I LOVE my cruise control and wouldn't really consider a bike without it.
appears to be the case. yep, all the hardware, shifter, etc. to go with the electronics, but it'll be way more up to date this way. never thought i'd have anything but throttle lock on a bike, but admittedly it's pretty nice on the aprilia.

Banned
appears to be the case. yep, all the hardware, shifter, etc. to go with the electronics, but it'll be way more up to date this way. never thought i'd have anything but throttle lock on a bike, but admittedly it's pretty nice on the aprilia.
Well, now that you'll have a REAL cruise control, you'll have to do another record run! :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Well, now that you'll have a REAL cruise control, you'll have to do another record run! :ROFLMAO:
you know, i thought throttle lock would help even, and i used it where i could, but most of the time, you have to modulate to go as fast as you can while being able to react. thumb was completely shot by FL!

Registered
Hi,
my name is Nils and Im from germany.
I麓d also like to change my 2010 to a 2018 Engine (2010 frame).
I know i need to change the rear mounting points.
I will also change all the wiring, controls, ECU and stuff so everything comes from 2018.
Does all that fit into my old frame, especially the 2018 airbox?
Thank you in advance.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,
my name is Nils and Im from germany.
I麓d also like to change my 2010 to a 2018 Engine (2010 frame).
I know i need to change the rear mounting points.
I will also change all the wiring, controls, ECU and stuff so everything comes from 2018.
Does all that fit into my old frame, especially the 2018 airbox?
Thank you in advance.
so far looking good. i'll let you know when everything fits for sure. one thing mentioned was mounting the quickshifter might be tricky.

Registered
Any update on this? What about only swopping the engine? using all the 2010 harness, ecu, sensors, etc?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Any update on this? What about only swopping the engine? using all the 2010 harness, ecu, sensors, etc?
@BMW_388 did an amazing job on it. swapped the engine and all the electronics too, that way everything that clown up north touched was removed from the bike like an exorcism. so wiring harness, ecu, sensors, dash, clipons and controls, all '18 like the engine. now i have more features, launch, cruise, grip warmers, 197 hp, up and down shift assist. the only things i remember being a little tricky were making the stock headlights use the '18 harness, and the mount for the shift lever, but solid, fun bike now!

Vendor
I stripped both the 2010 to a rolling frame, and the 2018.

I moved all the items from the 2018 to the 2010. put the 2010 stuff in a box. @verrucktaxe is trying to sell off some of it. The George Villar Motorrad-1.com engine got disassembled on video and scrapped.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #18
I stripped both the 2010 to a rolling frame, and the 2018.

I moved all the items from the 2018 to the 2010. put the 2010 stuff in a box. @verrucktaxe is trying to sell off some of it. The George Villar Motorrad-1.com engine got disassembled on video and scrapped.

the supplier mentioned above that butchered my bike offered to 'fix' the engine for me to sell. I told him no way i'd trust anything he touched and it wouldn't be safe or ethical for me to use or to sell to someone else.

the only things i was able to sell were the STM clutch and the rods, but the guy who bought the rods thinks he might be able to salvage the pistons. he's talking to his builder now.

No way i was going to sell anything i didn't trust, so the head, cams, block i considered junk and scrapped them. sent the cam to a dealership in CAN as a display piece with one of my movie posters.

i think all i have left are a few carbon covers for outside the bike i'll sell cheap if anyone wants them.

can't thank bmw388 enough for bringing my bike back to life!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts