BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

If a trifecta of Inline-Four-powered sporting motorcycles from BMW aren’t enough for you, how about bringing the total to match the number of cylinders? Today in Milan, BMW announced the BMW S1000XR, an adventure sport designed to bring a little attitude to the segment.

BMW leaned heavily on the BMW S1000R’s DNA to create the XR’s engine. The mid-range-focused power delivery still manages to crank out a claimed 160 hp at 11,000 rpm and 83 lb-ft at 9,250. The “usable rev range that spans over 10,000 rpm” will be perfect for exploring newly discovered backroads. Dual riding modes, “Rain“ and “Road”, will tailor the power to road conditions while BMW’s Automatic Stability Control (ASC) manage the traction. Pro riding modes are available as an option, adding “Dynamic” and “Dynamic Pro” to the palette – in addition to Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and ABS Pro.

With performance and styling tuned to the adventure touring market, the BMW S1000XR enters a hotly contested segment.

The S1000XR’s bone structure is based on the same aluminium-alloy perimeter frame and stressed-member engine as its S1000 siblings. Although the suspension is similar to the S1000 with an inverted fork and dual-sided swing arm, the chassis geometry has been massaged to suit the XR’s job description. The optional BMW Motorrad Dynamic ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) sweetens the XR’s handling envelope. As is typical of adventure touring motorcycles, the ground clearance is increased over more pure sporting models with BMW claiming a 20–30mm increase in spring travel.

And then there’s the styling. Although clearly a part of the BMW S1000 family, the S1000XR has the aggressive styling and the “beak” favored in this style motorcycle.

At presstime, pricing and availability has not been set.

The BMW S1000XR on display at EICMA.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looks nice but my riding style when offroad is really more tuned to low-rpm torque, not 10k+ craziness.

I also question how much off roading the woman in that picture will be doing with those tires!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Like the Muiltistrada it competes with, this bike has zero "off road" aspirations. It's an upright, tuned-for-torque, more comfortable, sport-touring bike that is a little more suitable than the S1000RR for an occasional gravel road, broken pavement, etc. Most will sell to people who might otherwise buy the S1000RR but want to ride distances and don't like the hard-core sportbike ergos.

- Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Off road aspirations, will soon turn to off road reality, here in Oz! If only due to the amount of road works that we experience!
I am looking at the cooling radiators at the front of the bike, and the lack of rear mud guard at the rear! The aftermarket parts designers will have a field day trying to adapt this one to our market!
How much luggage can it carry?
I am not saying that I don't like it, because I find it very appealing!
I would buy it, but there are issues that need addressing for it to appeal to the broader market, helping it overlap into the GS market for those who don't want to, or cannot manage a bike as large as the GS, but find the mile eating capacity of the four attractive in our big land!
How about larger plastic mudguards that protect the bike against throwing water and gravel about, and some protection for the radiators?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hmmm...might have to trade in the Caponord. These bikes arent made for offroading. They are made for touring plain and simple. They handle potholes and gravel roads much better then other types of bikes but take one off road and they end up on their sides very quickly. They are good to drag the old lady along and wheelie with her on it, haul camping gear, ride to work, etc. I primarily bought my Caponord to handle the deteriorating roads in my state on my daily commute. I also live out in the sticks and have to travel down dirt roads to get to a hard road. So a bike like this is much more functional then my S1k. Thats why I bought my 02 Caponord. Its also keeping miles off my S1k. Truth is I dont ride the S1k much at all since I bought the Capo so I find this new Bimmer very refreshing. I can't wait for them to hit the dealers. Might trade in the S1k and the Capo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts