BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 S1000RR's low beam went out and i obviously checked the bulb and fuse first but both were good. I then tried to measure voltage at the plug but it wasnt there. I decided to take to dealer for them to check out and $387 later i got a might be wiring harness for an install price of $1500. They said they couldnt figure it out and had to contact BMW which still ended with a maybe so they are leaning more toward the wiring harness more than instrument cluster, their words. Anyone had this problem or have some other ideas to try. Just cant justify 1500 for a maybe and at that price ill do it myself for less money. Help!! need to get it inspected

·
Super Moderator
6,405 Posts
Make sure the battery connections are good, and start probing in the fuse panel. Work towards the headlight from there. There was a bulletin about wires getting chafed on the inside of the frame near the rear of the tank, have a look in there. What else can you tell us? Does the high beam still work properly? Is the headlight socket itself making contact? I bet it's something simple. Where are you located?

·
Registered
192 Posts
That era of bikes had the wire harness too tight with tie wraps in the steering head area. Access the area cut loose the cable runs and start wiggling them. You should be able to find it if a wire is broken inside the insulation. Next step is finding the wire. First check the ground for the light, make sure it is good. Buy a volt meter and read how to use it if you don't already have that tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes checked battery connection along with plug connection at light. High beam works fine along with parking lights. It's just the low beam. Ok didn't know about the chafed wires so I'll take it apart this weekend and check it out. Yes I have a multimeter and I'll try all of the following. Yea I thought dealer would be able to find it cause when I look at wiring harnesses online it doesn't look like there is much to them but who knows. I'd rather do it myself anyway. Thanks for a starting point peeps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry guys took me a little longer than I expected to have the time to troubleshoot it but yes I found the problem and it wasn't the wiring harness they wanted to charge 1500 for. So I had it apart and was gonna start from the end but something told me to double check the fuse one more time and it just so happened to be the fuse. It's kind of frustrating because I checked it before I brought it in and it checked out. Bit either way it's fixed and I appreciate all the help from you guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would be extremely pissed at that dealership and demand a refund for their "diagnosis." Especially since they were wanting to charge you $1,500 for a wiring harness, that if it didn't fix it I wouldn't pay for. You bring the bike in to the shop to get repaired not for somebody to guess. You could have done that for free.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Good Lord...a dealer couldn't find a bad fuse? What is this world coming to? Everything these days seems like a huge "money grab".

"You get what you pay for"? Not any more...:serious:

Glad you found it. Give the dealer the bad fuse and tell him "you know where to put this..."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts