BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for those interested, I just got my 2014 back from the shop after a Rapidbike module and custom dyno tune.
I swapped the stock header for a stock 2015 header and an Akro midpipe and silencer. Fresh valve adjustment. BMC Air Filter.

Bike has both cats, both exhaust servos working, and no ECU flash. Pretty much bone stock.

Bike made 177 on the dyno.

I do not have a before dyno run, so take it with a grain if salt, but I do not believe it lost any power. Whether it made more, is debateable.

For those considering the swap, there you go.
Everything connect as it should, except for the exhaust servo cables which need to be wrangled around to connect, but work fine. Certainly more aesthetic. And it fits a race body lower.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the short summary Twitch. I have the stock 15 RR header sitting in my garage for the my single R too. Did you use new header gaskets when you did the swap? Was the bike a lot louder?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the short summary Twitch. I have the stock 15 RR header sitting in my garage for the my single R too. Did you use new header gaskets when you did the swap? Was the bike a lot louder?
Very interested in this too. I have an S1000RR full race system in my garage and would love to put it on my S1000XR. I know the headers would fit but always wondered if it was worth the hassle to change the mid pipe to keep the exhaust under my panniers.

@ Twitch - did you notice any change in mid range?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not change any gaskets, just pulled the stock one off, and out the new one on.

The 15-16 header is lighter without the huge cat. I did not notice any more noise.

I did have to use a carbon silencer with a strap that could be adjusted to an Akro pass peg hanger bracket. Neither the carbon can with the strap, nor the stock 15 silencer with the welded bracket would mate up to the stock footpeg mount. The welded Ti can bracket wouldn't mate to the footpeg hanger either. Youl NEED a silencer with a wrap around strap.

I would suggest a tune, or auto tune, as it did come away with a mid range flat spot that had to be tuned out.
I rode it on the track before the tune, and it ran strong, other than a noticeable lag at about 8k. Over that, to red line it was a rocket.

I haven't ridden it yet after the tune.....

For the single R, there are no cables to actuate the front flapper valve. The spring keeps it open, but Id safety wire it to keep it open anyway.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I did not change any gaskets, just pulled the stock one off, and out the new one on.

The 15-16 header is lighter without the huge cat. I did not notice any more noise.

I did have to use a carbon silencer with a strap that could be adjusted to an Akro pass peg hanger bracket. Neither the carbon can with the strap, nor the stock 15 silencer with the welded bracket would mate up to the stock footpeg mount. The welded Ti can bracket wouldn't mate to the footpeg hanger either. Youl NEED a silencer with a wrap around strap.

I would suggest a tune, or auto tune, as it did come away with a mid range flat spot that had to be tuned out.
I rode it on the track before the tune, and it ran strong, other than a noticeable lag at about 8k. Over that, to red line it was a rocket.

I haven't ridden it yet after the tune.....

For the single R, there are no cables to actuate the front flapper valve. The spring keeps it open, but Id safety wire it to keep it open anyway.

Good comments about the brackets. All good info. Let us know how it feels on track now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For comparison, same dyno, same day, my 2017 ZX10RR with ECU flash, stock header and shorty Graves slip-on with the race kit cams dynoed at 204hp.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bump!
just got a 15 oem exhaust manifold no cat single pipe (Like your) to replace my 14 manifold with Hugh cat.
Question is can I use the original mounting bolt at the back of my rearset since I have a shorty slip on ?
I see you have the longer slip on and use the passenger peg for hanger.
appreciate any info. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts