BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Must be an epidemic. There was a guy in Denver who had one for sale with 219 miles on it, and I almost bought it. I personally think some get these bikes and smartly realize they can't handle them, so they keep them as some sort of trophy. Just a guess....

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I've seen folks rarely ride bikes that a xx of 500 limited number to recoup their investments. A good example are these 50 Anniversary R1/R6 selling for more than their identical pair with different color scheme.To each his own and this example I would personally take a the current S1kRR over an identical priced HP4.

I have nothing against low mileage, limited edition bikes for sale but if it is not a NR750, RC45, or a R7 then it is just a bike with a higher price than a standard version.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Highly unlikely given how tremendously easy the RR is to ride.

It is akin to many Porsches I know; rarely driven, never over 65 MPH, never in the rain, etc. They also were not purchased to drive.
Here's why I say that.....

The guy here in Denver that had it had a few "trophies". Some people think they know what fast is until they own a bike such as this or similar. When they talk about getting on any 1000cc their face tells the whole story and some will even admit to just flat out not liking how fast it is.

This guy for instance had a stock GTR, thought it was the fastest thing in the world until he got this bike. Obviously a GTR (in straight line anyway) doesn't even get in the ball park. I don't straight line race much, but it took an Alpha 16 (IN COLORADO ALTITUDE MIND YOU), to beat me from a roll on my 13' S1k, modded of course.

All I am really saying is.... there are people who run into money and buy these toys and don't understand how truly ridiculous they are. Sometimes you also realize they know absolutely nothing about their toys, whether you are talking about bikes OR cars. I'm not hating on them, just saying it happens. This particular HP owner wanted nothing to do with that speed. It's not for everyone.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Whatever the case, many - if not most - of these HP4's are out of, or soon to be out of, warranty. BMW's warranty is the most liberal I've seen (3 years), so the bike's value should be correspondingly less once the warranty is gone. A motivation for selling, I would think.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
This particular HP owner wanted nothing to do with that speed. It's not for everyone.
Of course, but this has nothing to do with not being able to handle the bike. The RR is incredibly easy to ride. It does nothing unexpected or that you have not asked it to do.

Very few RR owners launch the bike at maximum acceleration to speeds of 150+ MPH. If this narrow definition of "handle" means the owner cannot handle the bike, the vast majority here can't handle it. Yet, they still put thousands of miles on their RRs with no problem, handling them just fine. :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Of course, but this has nothing to do with not being able to handle the bike. The RR is incredibly easy to ride. It does nothing unexpected or that you have not asked it to do.

Very few RR owners launch the bike at maximum acceleration to speeds of 150+ MPH. If this narrow definition of "handle" means the owner cannot handle the bike, the vast majority here can't handle it. Yet, they still put thousands of miles on their RRs with no problem, handling them just fine. :)
I understand what you are saying, and to people who have ridden most any bike this is true when riding the BMW. This is not true, however, when a guy, in this particular example I'm talking about, has never even ridden even an older year 600 sportbike. Very inexperienced, but fell into money and wanted the "biggest baddest bike around". Sometimes we don't realize that to a noob, these bikes are still pretty crazy to handle, in ANY definition of handle you might have lol. I don't have the dyno run on me anymore, but I remember looking at the hp numbers on my 13' S1K. I realized that at only 6500 rpm that thing had more hp than my 06 GSXR 600 did at 13k rpm or whatever that redline was. That puts things in a bit of perspective when talking about someone who is completely new to bikes.

Saying all this.... the guy in this post with the HP4 might very well just like the look and have a lot of money to blow on an art piece. He might need the bike to look cool for the ladies. He also might like to buy stuff so that he can say he has/had one. Who knows :).

I used to collect hats and random watches for no reason but to put them on a shelf in a room. I get the mindset and most call me crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
Sometimes we don't realize that to a noob, these bikes are still pretty crazy to handle, in ANY definition of handle you might have lol.
:grin2: Excellent point.

. . . the guy in this post with the HP4 might very well just like the look and have a lot of money to blow on an art piece.
I know a number of Ducati owners with more exotic examples than mine who wipe them down after every ride and park them in well-appointed living rooms. My bikes just live in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I understand what you are saying, and to people who have ridden most any bike this is true when riding the BMW. This is not true, however, when a guy, in this particular example I'm talking about, has never even ridden even an older year 600 sportbike. Very inexperienced, but fell into money and wanted the "biggest baddest bike around"...the guy in this post with the HP4 might very well just like the look and have a lot of money to blow on an art piece. He might need the bike to look cool for the ladies. He also might like to buy stuff so that he can say he has/had one. Who knows :).

I used to collect hats and random watches for no reason but to put them on a shelf in a room. I get the mindset and most call me crazy.
Sounds like a Bay Area rich engineer type or a rich StarBux poser. I've met guys that owned real bling bikes and rides it like a pus-c. More dangerous than a child with a hammer. Celebrities are like that. More $$$ than brains. GLWS on that guy but seriously a 13 HP4 at the price he is asking is a tough call but at least it is not like the one on CL in the bay area asking for 24K for a 14 HP4 with 3K miles.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Anyone consider contacting the guy and asking what his story is? Maybe it's nothing like what we might think...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Anyone consider contacting the guy and asking what his story is? Maybe it's nothing like what we might think...
Nah, why would we do that? Then we wouldn't have much to talk about :grin2:

Just kidding, you might be very right.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like a Bay Area rich engineer type or a rich StarBux poser. I've met guys that owned real bling bikes and rides it like a pus-c. More dangerous than a child with a hammer. Celebrities are like that. More $$$ than brains. GLWS on that guy but seriously a 13 HP4 at the price he is asking is a tough call but at least it is not like the one on CL in the bay area asking for 24K for a 14 HP4 with 3K miles.
I can diggit.
Even so, this is a Comp which has a lot more factory accessories than the Standard.
Blue wheels, carbon bits, HP levers, etc.
So in that context, I think the price is strong, but if there's no mysterious story accompanying it, seems like a fair deal....even when compared to a "fully bolted" 2015/16/17 from the factory.
>:)
@bennymx I seem to remember reading there were 3 variations of HP4 offered overseas somewhere, where as in North America, we only got 2, of which the one mid level version never was imported.
Or was this a preproduction article, that had no legs?

·
Premium Member
4,062 Posts
"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Amusingly, of all things to emphasize about the bike he chooses: "This motorcycle has the heated grips." The way he phrases it, it almost sounds like an STD.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
"This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."

Amusingly, of all things to emphasize about the bike he chooses: "This motorcycle has the heated grips." The way he phrases it, it almost sounds like an STD.
Does the Comp version not have HG?

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, and was listed under R series as opposed to S series.
I wonder if it ended because @Team Jilly got deal?
How about it Holly?

Does the Comp version not have HG?
Comp's came "fully bolted" including heated grips, so did STD.

·
4,590 Posts
Me and crashes, Elk and STDs. >:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts