BMW S1000RR Forum banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
I don't suppose you got a clock on the HP4R that you would be able to compare to your lap times did you? :laugh:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
I don't suppose you got a clock on the HP4R that you would be able to compare to your lap times did you? :laugh:
I got a run against them before switching riding group. On the straight it was pretty similar to mine. I got some information that I am not at liberty to tell, but with my own bike in mind, I think they have got a pretty spectacular package put together.
I know the final wet weight, engine performance, service interval and got a serious up close look on the wheels. The design in person is spectacular and they say they cannot feel a difference when comparing against aluminium wheels. It will be interesting to see if anyone will race the bikes when they come out. If I have the money, I'd happily race one on track!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
So, Easter has passed and I had the pleasure of visiting Catalunya in Spain over the course of three days. Aragon was semi fresh in the body and speed came fairly quick, which was nice.

Bike was good, but I've had some issues since '16, with understeer out of the corners and missing ability to brake the rear loose on exit. So I made some changed to gearing and chain length which actually worked out well. I also spend the days testing out the Dunlop KR tires again. I quit using Dunlop in '15 when we couldn't source more tires from the UK factory, and the French factory quality was crap. But they've got the hang of it again, and I was quite happy with the results! Some things with Dunlop is not as good as Pirelli and vice versa, but I think I know what to do. I was fast up until a certain point, and then the lack of riding time kicked in; I simply couldn't get my corner exit speed up. Well, something to build on....

The track photographer was not really getting the best pictures, and at 70€ for pictures I have for the first time felt it wasn't worth it.
I made a few videos on the GoPro while riding, the video is below. I wasn't getting on full throttle on to the straight fast enough, and got passed like I rode a 600. Alex, who passes me in the video had the craziest sbk R1, so if my bike is a nicely put-together bike, his was utterly crazy. Anyways, video:

·
4,646 Posts
@Dela

Any tips and videos to learn Aragon? I'm riding there in a week with BMW race academy.

What did you change with chain and gearing?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
@Dela

Any tips and videos to learn Aragon? I'm riding there in a week with BMW race academy.

What did you change with chain and gearing?
Yes, a few tips and suggestions!
Depending on your setup, make sure you are not running your suspension with high front and low rear as suggested by many. A few corners are fast in and on the throttle and if temperatures are a little low, your front will not have much grip. But that's a matter of taste I suppose.
Suggestions on gearing for Agaron is 15/43 or 16/45, gives you more or less the same gearing, but a change in axle to axle length. With 118 links I find the first mentioned gearing to be good. Aragon is fast, so bring your big boy pants ;) It is such a fun track with those long sweeping corners, but also a tire hungry track. Bring a few extra rears if you're running slicks.

Aragon was 1.5 day of training after winter break, so the video below is riddled with riding mistakes, missing apex' and braking too early. But it doesn't change that it was fun ;)

·
4,646 Posts
How much shorter is the wheelbase with 118 link chain and 15/43? I run 16/46, 120 link chain, it keeps the OEM wheelbase. Would it keep enough room for tire warmers?

For Aragon, I'll be renting a 17 RR from the school. They come with RacetecRR K3s. Do you think upgrading to K2s (front and rear) would make a difference for 3-day training? Not sure how the weather will be in first week of May at Aragon, and which compound would work better.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
How much shorter is the wheelbase with 118 link chain and 15/43? I run 16/46, 120 link chain, it keeps the OEM wheelbase. Would it keep enough room for tire warmers?

For Aragon, I'll be renting a 17 RR from the school. They come with RacetecRR K3s. Do you think upgrading to K2s (front and rear) would make a difference for 3-day training? Not sure how the weather will be in first week of May at Aragon, and which compound would work better.

Thanks for the info!

Axle length on 118/15/43 is 605,5mm, Ratio 0,349
Axle length on 120/16/46 is 605,0mm, Ratio 0,348

Running 16/46 will be alright as well. You will we be able to run the straight with that gearing on Aragon. I was only running 16/44 and it was waaay to defensive. Some of the others tested 15/43 - 44 - 45 and others did stay with 16-45 - 46, and 15-44 and 16-46 was perhaps the best. Some opted for 16-43, but that was what I was running at Catalunya, and it is perhaps a little too defensive. So if you're on 120 links, keep your choice of 16/46 ;)

Have fun - and remember, pictures and footage are now required >:)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

Thanks for the info!

@z00, how did go? Updates, updates, updates - where are they? >:)

·
4,646 Posts
@z00, how did go? Updates, updates, updates - where are they? >:)
It's going great. I'll be posting a thread with many details soon. All I can say Aragon is freaking awesome.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
That torque curve is amazing. I'm sure cam timing is changed, but different cams too or is it secret? Horsepower looks impressive too. The airbox must have helped with the midrange, it's so flat. Different venturis too? Haha maybe pm me, don't give out your secrets.
At one time you asked this @skapan and to be precise, the engine is modified with mainly HP Performance parts.

HP Kit Cams, DLC coated
HP Inlet/outlet valve springs
HP airbox
Ported head
blueprinted bottom
stock clutch, OEM clutch plates
OEM generator
Blocked off SLS valves
Alpha Racing breathing kit for vacuum on crank case

There are more modifications to flow, oil, squeeze that are 'secret', but also, I wouldn't be able to explain the details without pictures, which I don't have. An Alpha Racing stage 4 engine puts out roughly the same hp on the same dyno, so I am really happy and content with my bike and the modifications made up tot this point:grin2:

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
An Alpha Racing stage 4 engine puts out roughly the same hp on the same dyno, so I am really happy and content with my bike and the modifications made up tot this point:grin2:
Alpha Stage 3 ~215rwhp
Alpha Stage 4 ~227rwhp

You are at stage 4 already - though 3 :nerd:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Depends on dyno I suppose. The alpha engines has roughly the same work on the engine as mine, but making a hp claim is down to the dyno.

My mechanic just bought a bike with a alpha stage 4 engine, but it needed some tlc before being mapped again. I talked to him yesterday, and on his dyno that engine puts down 214/117, which is similar to mine. It has Pauter/pankl hardware, alpha cams, springs, blueprint etc, so all I can see it, that my bike performs similar to that particular spec of engine which should be a stage 4 engine.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Depends on dyno I suppose. The alpha engines has roughly the same work on the engine as mine, but making a hp claim is down to the dyno.

My mechanic just bought a bike with a alpha stage 4 engine, but it needed some tlc before being mapped again. I talked to him yesterday, and on his dyno that engine puts down 214/117, which is similar to mine. It has Pauter/pankl hardware, alpha cams, springs, blueprint etc, so all I can see it, that my bike performs similar to that particular spec of engine which should be a stage 4 engine.
Ok - most difference between 3 and 4 is this alpha cylinder head which you actuallty can buy for 3600Euro - but nice to know you are having a big boy engine :smile2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
When you are completely uncapable of waiting to post a picture until the bike is done.....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Looking awesome!

Are those the Alpha/Carbonin fairings? If they are, did you have to make any of the holes larger to fit the Dzus screws?

Alpha fairings are not made by Carbonin ;) -but these are from Carbonin. I advise all to get the fairings directly from Carbonin with prefitted dzus to avoid mistakes drilling them themselves. These have been fitted on a 2015 previously, and was adapted by my mechanic, so we chose the diameter ourselves.
Not many buy these because of the price, but they are light!

I need to fabricate two brackets for the side fairings and longer Dzus for the front fairings, and I'm done. Oh, and I need to tear down the bike again and install an Evo4 with some extras. Starting to be almost not half bad :D

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I advise all to get the fairings directly from Carbonin with prefitted dzus to avoid mistakes drilling them themselves.
Mine came from Carbonin with the Dzus already drilled and attached. However, the holes on the fairings through which the Dzus bolts go through first are too small. I'm assuming they're sort of pilot holes for alignment.

I need to fabricate two brackets for the side fairings and longer Dzus for the front fairings, and I'm done.
Why the longer Dzus for the front?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Mine came from Carbonin with the Dzus already drilled and attached. However, the holes on the fairings through which the Dzus bolts go through first are too small. I'm assuming they're sort of pilot holes for alignment.

Why the longer Dzus for the front?

Sounds like they forgot something. Normally the dzus is fitted from them as well, not only holes drilled.

The fairing fastening points are not countersunk, and I have a carbon fairing stay with QL. Fibreglass fairings can be compressed/pulled to the mounting point, but the carbon cannot easily, and if I try and succeed, it will just crack when used. I just need 17 or 19mm dzus fasteners.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #119 (Edited)
Well well, the wife can't hide my money from me all year. I managed to pry her fingers from the credit cards for a few seconds, and I have a short trip planned for August now. Dead excited - new track, never been there before, and should be fun to try something new now that the season ended being a little low in riding time.

Are there anyone that can see what track it is?

Anyway, we have a bunch of new stuff in the shop that I need to try out, so we will be trying out a few things on the bike on the trip. I will modify the cooling setup, new datalogger and a bit of weight optimization here and there. Should be fun >:)

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Sweet! Hope your reflexes are better than ever! My ex launched a hot frying pan complete with steaks across the kitchen at my head just cuz i said I was working and snuck off to a race. Got caught after the fact. My so called friends that talked me into it burned rubber leaving when I got caught changing clothes in the garage on return. :rolleyes:

101 - 120 of 125 Posts