BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 732 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a sinking feeling...ugh. One of the primary reasons I waited to get the '12 was the thought most of the kinks would be worked out. Damn it...:mad:
That's the whole reason i bought this one. I'm just sick that they can't tell me what the problem is!:mad:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Haven't heard of a major recall yet on the S. Nothing on the US safety board either.

BMW did get a major fine (around $3 million) for not reporting safety defects soon enough so maybe they are a bit more aggressive now.

Info will show up sooner or later...

Aside, interesting recall link: http://www.motorcyclerecall.com/

Mack

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just called and confirmed the hold with my dealer. He said the email he revived didnt say anything other than to not deliver bikes. He also stated that I should be ok to keep riding my bike and that he would call once he found out more

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just called and confirmed the hold with my dealer. He said the email he revived didnt say anything other than to not deliver bikes. He also stated that I should be ok to keep riding my bike and that he would call once he found out more
Well it can't be major if he told you to keep riding

·
Registered
92 Posts
Called my dealer here in Edmonton, Canada and the recall is confirmed for here too. He said he is unable to give me details regarding the nature of the recall as he does not have any yet. Apparently they were just told to stop selling them immediately. Furthermore, he said he is not allowed to release any bikes already paid for that are sitting on the showroom floor either. Its a full stop by BMW.

Man this really sucks... I hope its nothing too bad, but given BMWs reaction Im a little worried. Not sure if I should keep riding or it not until I hear from BMW.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Call your dealer back and tell him you're not riding the bike anywhere until they tell you what the recall is as it may endanger your life if they still refuse tell them they can come pick up the bike with a trailer and take it to be repaired, or call another dealer and see if they are a little more forthcoming with vital info concerning YOUR bike.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually, in the purchase of Duacti by Audi, Audi paid off BMW Motorrad to detune all '12 S1kRRs because it rapes the Panigale so bad.

In all seriousness, you guys are quick. The notice just went out this morning and you're all on it already. It's probably nothing serious as they would have insta-called all owners and brought them in.

·
Registered
39 Posts
WT........

I'm with most of you guys thinking that buying the '12 would have made my chances of something like this happening more slim.

I don't like the sounds of this :( Not fair to keep us in the dark. I'm scared to ride mine now and the weather is going to be beautiful this weekend too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got a production date range of the effected bikes from my dealer.

Production dates from Nov 2011 thru Feb 2012.

To see your production date enter the last 7 of your vin into the decoder at realoem.com

:(

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Just got a production date range of the effected bikes from my dealer.

Production dates from Nov 2011 thru Feb 2012.

To see your production date enter the last 7 of your vin into the decoder at realoem.com

:(
Can't wait to hear what it is. My production date is Sept 2011 - can't imagine mine is okay. If it is motor related - should not come as a huge surprise - that is basically the one thing they did not fool with.

Just the other day I noticed that the rear wheel bearings are making a racket - have not had the chance to remove the rear wheel and take a look. I have read here that it could be a seal - but I'm not so sure a seal in itself could make such noise. So I may have several reasons not to ride my bike.

I have owned it since Feb and have not really had the chance to ride it - only has 200 miles on it. Looks like I'm about to ride it even less.

Mine started out tough - right from the purchase - I never took delivery the ECM had to be replaced.

It is situations like this that makes me so happy that I'm fortunate to own several bikes. Good chance I can keep one of them running.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I just got off the phone with my dealer. They also would not say what was going on. Kind of sort of suggested engine related but did not actually say it. Did say that BMW came out with a follow up to the first bullitin in regard to bikes that are already on the street. If you have not had a problem - you are not going to - BMW told them it would happen within very few miles. So who knows - for now we sit back and wait or if you are so inclined like myself - if I get the opportunity to ride it this weekend I'm going to do so.

1 - 20 of 732 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.