BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and girls,

I have a technical (wiring) question.
I just bought a 2012 S1000rr for track use only (coming from a 2011 GSX-r 600) :D

The previous owner installed a "alternative" switch to replace the OEM mode/abs/lap/etc selector.
The solder joints are really bad and the selectorswitch does not work very well (keeps cycling trough modes) so I would like to re-do the wiring but need some help understanding the pin-out of the connector.

Here is a pic of the connector that connects at the back of the speedometer (I removed the orange insert for inspection)

There are 3-wires and pins installed, the contra plug form the speedometer has 4-wires and pins.
If I could figure out the function of each wire coming from the cluster maybe I could rewire the alternative switch and get everything to work again.
The functions I would need are: MODE, DTC/ABS and SET?

I did find some wiring diagrams on the forum but could not locate the 4-pin connector and contra connector as shown on the pic above.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated!

·
Administrator
7,198 Posts
Do you need information for the right hand switch block connector back to the dash connector? Is the stock dash fitted? Can you provide pics of the switches currently on the bike and the connectors?

·
Vendor
2,859 Posts
Hi guys and girls,

I have a technical (wiring) question.
I just bought a 2012 S1000rr for track use only (coming from a 2011 GSX-r 600) :D

The previous owner installed a "alternative" switch to replace the OEM mode/abs/lap/etc selector.
The solder joints are really bad and the selectorswitch does not work very well (keeps cycling trough modes) so I would like to re-do the wiring but need some help understanding the pin-out of the connector.

Here is a pic of the connector that connects at the back of the speedometer (I removed the orange insert for inspection)
View attachment 213157

There are 3-wires and pins installed, the contra plug form the speedometer has 4-wires and pins.
If I could figure out the function of each wire coming from the cluster maybe I could rewire the alternative switch and get everything to work again.
The functions I would need are: MODE, DTC/ABS and SET?

I did find some wiring diagrams on the forum but could not locate the 4-pin connector and contra connector as shown on the pic above.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated!
that is not an OEM connector that goes on the back of the speedo/tach

I have seen people put shift lights that trigger off different piggy backs into the cluster housings. Those type of devices usually melt the lens in some way too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is a "race" harness installed, I'm not sure what brand but as far as I can Google it is a Alphatech or BMW HP harness.

The connector connects to the leftside switch and has 4-wires:
Blue/Brown - Blue/Purple - Black/Blue - Brown
This connector runs into the motorcycle frame, I suspect it runs to the ECU?
The wires control the mode (rain, sport, race, slick) and the ABS/DTC and maybe something else?
If I could figure out the function these 4-wires I might be able to fix the buttons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts