BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2011 dedicated S1kRR track bike. I was recently at Palmer Motorsports Park (for the first time) and noticed that when my bike was leaned over it would start cutting out and sputtering (more noticeable on downhill lefts and rights). Once vertical the problems went away. I ride with the tank full or nearly full so it should't be a pick up problem. I ran in Slick mode and in Race mode (TC on and off) with no noticeable difference in behavior. I was running VP T4 race fuel early in the day then straight 93 octane pump later on. Again no noticeable difference. I will mention the T4 has been in the bike for a few weeks. However, VP says this isn't a problem like say MR12. The bike has never done this before. How common are failed lean angle sensors? Any suggestions on where to start?:confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your tip over sensor. Its the most likely cause.
Thx Twitch. However, the problem is, I dunno what I'm checking for LOL? Continuity, Resistance, Volts???? Right now I have continuity between the middle contact and one of the outer contacts (there are 3 total). I also measured 3.16kΩ across the same two contact points. Dunno if that's good or bad lol? They're cheap enough so I might just replace it regardless :)

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
Someone else on this forum had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad coil. If I search long and hard enough I may find the thread...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone else on this forum had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad coil. If I search long and hard enough I may find the thread...
Interesting. I would think if it was a coil it would cut all the time? I have an MV Agusta F4 that I just replaced all of the coils on. It ran horrible all the time but was particularly noticeable below 4500rpms; lean angle didn't matter.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Thx Twitch. However, the problem is, I dunno what I'm checking for LOL? Continuity, Resistance, Volts???? Right now I have continuity between the middle contact and one of the outer contacts (there are 3 total). I also measured 3.16kΩ across the same two contact points. Dunno if that's good or bad lol? They're cheap enough so I might just replace it regardless :)
If you have it as a loose part, keep it upright, measure Resistance.
Tilt it 45 deg (left and right), measure Resistance.
Tilt it 90 deg (left and right), measure Resistance.

Or if you have it in the bike, measure Volts.
One pin is ground/0V, one pin is 5 Volts, one pin is signal (Volts) which changes when you tilt the bike 0 45 90 deg...

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
Yeah I know, but something about part throttle, spark strength and ignition advance. A weak coil will fire under full acceleration, but fail at part throttle? At least that's what I remember about the situation.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2011 dedicated S1kRR track bike. I was recently at Palmer Motorsports Park (for the first time) and noticed that when my bike was leaned over it would start cutting out and sputtering (more noticeable on downhill lefts and rights). Once vertical the problems went away.
Just guessing:
Kill switch resonates, or kill switch wire is almost cut.

Foil hat on:
Your body position is either so good or so bad, that bike chassis lean angle is too little or too much for the tip over sensor tolerance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just guessing:
Kill switch resonates, or kill switch wire is almost cut.

Foil hat on:
Your body position is either so good or so bad, that bike chassis lean angle is too little or too much for the tip over sensor tolerance.
Speedfinn, my body position is perfect hahaha!!!! J/k but, I like the idea of the kill switch. I'll check that this evening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts