BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am sure a bunch of guys will be able to help here, but also just asking @BMW_388.

I have a 2010 S1000rr which someone went and placed a 2012 clock/Dash with a flashed RCK ECU in. Bike starts, but runs BAD!! Over fueling, does not want to idle, etc.

I know that the harness will work with the engine as I have done it before, but does the 2010 harness work with 2012 clock/Dash and ECU? Is it just a bad flash?

I have noticed that the harness part numbers differ, but thought that it was only the Heated grips and knock sensors?

2010 wiring harness part number: 61117724592
2012 wiring harness part number: 12518527765

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the double post, but the flashed ECU was flashed with RCK 2 for the Gen 2 models. Will Throttle body have anything to do with the issues?

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
So I am sure a bunch of guys will be able to help here, but also just asking @BMW_388.

I have a 2010 S1000rr which someone went and placed a 2012 clock/Dash with a flashed RCK ECU in. Bike starts, but runs BAD!! Over fueling, does not want to idle, etc.

I know that the harness will work with the engine as I have done it before, but does the 2010 harness work with 2012 clock/Dash and ECU? Is it just a bad flash?

I have noticed that the harness part numbers differ, but thought that it was only the Heated grips and knock sensors?

2010 wiring harness part number: 61117724592
2012 wiring harness part number: 12518527765
The harness is completely different that the cluster plugs into. I call it the chassis harness. The protocols for the 10/11 cluster are different from the 12-14. I have seen the cluster cause the throttle bodies to move just plugging and unplugging from the harness. The reason is the CAN BUS. So, if you are having fueling issues, it could be the CAN BUS is not running clean with data and the ECU is not working the throttle bodies correctly.

·
Registered
784 Posts

Just to make sure, reset adaptation and TPS adaptation done?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to make sure, reset adaptation and TPS adaptation done?

I did yes. Ended up with the same story as this again. https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/exhaust-fuel-delivery/175522-throttle-body-grinding-no-start.html

Swapped over to another set of throttle bodies now.

Took the dash, ECU and ignition out of the 2010 last night and will try on a 2013 to see if it does the same. If it does, then either ECU or Dash is faulty, if not, then it is the harness that I need to replace in the 2010 to a 2012 to accommodate the dash and ECU

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So now really confused.

I took the ECU, Cluster and ignition and installed it on my 2013. Worked perfectly.

Took everything back to the original bike, replaced the harness on it to a 2013 harness and installed the ECU, Cluster and ignition to it. Start the bike and the same issue.

Plugged the RCK cable in the harness to try and reset the adaptions and a message came up on the RCK software that all settings are now disabled on the ECU? Meaning that I cant use RCK on the ECU at all...

Why will ECU loose all info if you just swap harness?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ECU, cluster and ignition plugged into another 2013 and works perfectly. Would assume that something in the new harness is not working right

·
Vendor
2,077 Posts
ECU, cluster and ignition plugged into another 2013 and works perfectly. Would assume that something in the new harness is not working right
The coding plug ( Slick Plug ) - People call the Red Top plug that goes into the Premium version a slick plug so that slick will come up on the cluster. Really however it is called a coding plug. That plug is required for RCK2 or RCK3 to be enabled in the ECU. So if you look at the connector near the right side of the fuel tank mounting area, you will see the red top coding plug on one harness, and it will most likely be missing from the other harness. Some harness did not have this connector for the coding plug installation. Either you will have to replace the harness again with a harness that has the coding plug connector, or go to the ECU plugs and find the missing wire locations and install some connectors to those plugs and simply wire in the coding plug so the ECU sees it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The coding plug ( Slick Plug ) - People call the Red Top plug that goes into the Premium version a slick plug so that slick will come up on the cluster. Really however it is called a coding plug. That plug is required for RCK2 or RCK3 to be enabled in the ECU. So if you look at the connector near the right side of the fuel tank mounting area, you will see the red top coding plug on one harness, and it will most likely be missing from the other harness. Some harness did not have this connector for the coding plug installation. Either you will have to replace the harness again with a harness that has the coding plug connector, or go to the ECU plugs and find the missing wire locations and install some connectors to those plugs and simply wire in the coding plug so the ECU sees it.

Makes 100% sense. Did not even think to check that. Will revert with findings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts