BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it’s been a issue for a few mo the now.
I’ll get up to speed and hit 6th gear doing around 60-80 and the whole system goes out and then 3-4 seconds later all comes back on. Sometimes it does it again within 2-3 minutes.
Display goes out
Engine goes out
3-4 seconds all comes back on.

I had a guy say it’s got to be a switch. Lose wire or a bad switch.
When it starts back up the photo with the light is RED and no display for 5-6 seconds after start up, it’s like it’s going through the starting sequence

I’m lost
0674FC3C-4CA9-4EC9-8C4C-B658A38DE47C.jpeg

·
Vendor
2,210 Posts
EWS antenna. There has been a few of these on the 10-14 that intermittent work causing ECU to shut down. When that triangle lights up red the ECU as lost the transponder code in the key.

You can remove the upper triple clamp. It is not much fun to drill the bolts on the ignition switch, but has to be done. Replace the EWS antenna.. put it back together. I will PM you with my parts and labor cost if you want to entertain the idea someone replace it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EWS antenna. There has been a few of these on the 10-14 that intermittent work causing ECU to shut down. When that triangle lights up red the ECU as lost the transponder code in the key.

You can remove the upper triple clamp. It is not much fun to drill the bolts on the ignition switch, but has to be done. Replace the EWS antenna.. put it back together. I will PM you with my parts and labor cost if you want to entertain the idea someone replace it for you.
the code in the book said something to do with key and ignition but I thought there was no way it would shut off all display and engine while doing 70 on the highway

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a similar problem with my 2012. Replaced the ignition switch (only!) and problem solved. I could hear a rattle in the old switch. Cheap plastic parts. It’s not hard to replace just the switch. Pull the upper triple, take off the cover and it’s a simple off and in assembly. You don’t have to replace the upper section of the assembly where the EWS is. I can send part number when I get home. Cost about $115 for a new switch as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the tech did a good job finding the issue. It was the ignition switch.
I approved the ignition switch and the EWS antenna. His feeling is what’s $54 for a Antenna and I’ll have the whole assembly off anyways.
he turned the key and everything came up and he was ready to start and then suddenly it went blank with the key still in the on position. Also the fault code said ignition.
To me $600 to have it fixed now and not later like spring/summer where it would be 3-4 weeks before getting a appointment.
ignition switch
EWS antenna
Oil change and filters.
mill be ready for riding this spring 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts