BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
S1000rr 2010 gen1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

having a strange problem with the left switchgear on my bike. TheTRIP/SET rocker switch is playing up and whichever way you press it, it does the same thing. It’s put the lap timer on constantly and without the switch working properly I can’t turn it off, or set the clock, or the trip counter etc. I’ve had no luck sourcing a second hand unit and no luck fixing this one. I’ve stripped it down and cleaned/inspected the flexible circuit board. Does anyone know of anything I might have missed or maybe a part number to search. Cheers

·
Registered
S1000rr 2010 gen1
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok for anyone who’s interested, I managed to fix it!
With a bit of poking about I found pin 2 on the 8 pin plug was common to both switches, and pin 3 and 4 on the 4 pin plug were for the trip/set switches respectively. My problem was a short somewhere between pins 3 and 4.

I scraped the lacquer off the switch connections, cut the track at both ends and replaced each track with a bit of thin wire. Re sealed it and all working as it should.
With prices for new and used replacements as high as they are, I don’t think I had anything to lose by having a go. It might not be the best option for everyone but they are fixable.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had mine (also 2010) replaced countless times, both under and outside the warranty period. What I learned from the last visit is that BMW finally came out with a new vendor for internal parts, so whatever corrossion developed from the original vendor should not be a continuing issue. So, if anyone reading this does buy an OEM part, make sure its not an older generation type, and maybe get it from a BMW dealer to be on the safe side. The 2nd to last time I had mine replaced, my dealer had told me they had no choice but to use the original type (same type) for a fix. The last one they put in lasted me for years, til i sold it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts