BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 2016 single R. I'm posting here to get more info as both bikes are similar.

Can I run 180/55 rear tire and still have the safety electronics working? The overage circumference of the 180/55 tire will be smaller than a 190/55. Will the electronics adapt? I know on Aprilias there is a calibration feature so you can run different tire sizes. Wondering if BMW does this automatically.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,687 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the 180 is made for a 5.5 inch rim. Since you have a 6 inch rim I would hazard a guess that performance and handling could be compromised by making that tire fit. Just my opinion, but I can only guess that you have a really good reason (like free tires) to ask this question.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I'm not mistaken the 180 is made for a 5.5 inch rim. Since you have a 6 inch rim I would hazard a guess that performance and handling could be compromised by making that tire fit. Just my opinion, but I can only guess that you have a really good reason (like free tires) to ask this question.
I did get a new tires for free but it's 180/55. In the past many riders move from a larger tire to this size to increase flickability. But I'm just doing it to take advantage of a free tire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,687 Posts
But the original question remains. Regardless if the tire will fit according to its' manufacturer, BMW says they want a 190/55 on there. Will the smaller diameter affect the electronics? That's the real question here. That's why I said don't take the chance. Who knows for sure. Or I guess the OP could buy the RCK kit and change tire diameter in the software.

·
Administrator
6,687 Posts
That seems to be a far too narrow an interpretation for many. Too easy. Not exciting. Lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
A 180/55 can handle the 160HP single R. KTM 1290 adventure has 160HP and more torque and the standard 170/60 rear.

Bridgestone 180s are made for 5.5 to 6.

·
Administrator
6,687 Posts
You're still missing the point. Traction control and ABS use the tire diameter to make decisions. The 180/55 will be seriously undersize in comparison to the stock tire. What effect will it have? I don't know.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
You'll notice on an RR (and presumably the R) that the traction control light blinks during startup and does not go away until you ride forward a few feet. As I have been told, that's the bike measuring the circumference of the tire for the traction control.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You're still missing the point. Traction control and ABS use the tire diameter to make decisions. The 180/55 will be seriously undersize in comparison to the stock tire. What effect will it have? I don't know.

TC and abs compensate for a lot of variables. I talked to the Pirelli rep and he said the RR can handle of 200/60 from a 190/55 with no ECU adjustments.

I asked the dealer in Stuttgart Germany if I had to bring in the bike to change from a 190/55 to a 200/55 and they said no. The dealers in Germany have a direct line to the Munich-BMW Engineering HQ and Berlin- the factory.

·
Registered
978 Posts
You'll notice on an RR (and presumably the R) that the traction control light blinks during startup and does not go away until you ride forward a few feet. As I have been told, that's the bike measuring the circumference of the tire for the traction control.
Blinking indicates if ABS and DTC are getting wheel sensor signals or not, not related to tyre radius adaptation, which is done when bike is upright and traveling at constant speed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts