BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to hit 18,000 miles soon. My RR runs like a turbine, smooth as silk. Do you really need a valve check/adjustment at 18,000 miles? My concern is the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. Why tear it down to mess with valves if the bike is as smooth as mine? Bike out of warranty, and the expense of the 18K service seems mostly in the valve check/adjust.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
67 Posts
One option is to always do it yourself. Though valve adjustment is one of the more tedious tasks. The 18K service also includes an oil change and probably some other checks as well.

Another option is if you do all those yourself and want the mechanic to JUST do the valve adjustment, it would be cheaper.

All that said, if you just dont want to do it at all, no one is going to force you. Could be a nice peace of mind to know that they are in fact properly aligned regardless of how smooth the bike rides.

·
Administrator
7,058 Posts
Lots of people have gone past that distance without detrimental effects BUT it's a good time to check for timing chain stretch and to get the cam timing back into (more or less) spec. even if the valve clearances are OK. We can all make our own choices on this. Some of my friends use the cost of this service as justification to get a new bike.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of people have gone past that distance without detrimental effects BUT it's a good time to check for timing chain stretch and to get the cam timing back into (more or less) spec. even if the valve clearances are OK. We can all make our own choices on this. Some of my friends use the cost of this service as justification to get a new bike.
Your last sentence rang a bell, because I'm actually considering that. It's not quite the old saying about "buying a new car because the ashtray is full...", but it's similar! I'll probably just get the whole 18K thing done in the end...unless "new bike fever" hits hard.

Thanks.

·
Vendor
3,626 Posts
I went 24000 miles on my 2015.. I did the service myself. I removed the engine to have 100% access to the valves. Lash was 100% spot on still even with all the track days and racing that 2015 saw.

Reactions: crosshairs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Valve check is easy. It'll take you the afternoon to do it yourself.
I doubt that you will have to remove the camshafts in order to replace valve shims, but checking at the recommended interval is not a dumb idea..

·
Registered
857 Posts
just get it checked for "piece of mind"

·
Administrator
7,717 Posts
Valve check is easy. It'll take you the afternoon to do it yourself.
I doubt that you will have to remove the camshafts in order to replace valve shims, but checking at the recommended interval is not a dumb idea..
Bruh. The shims sit under the followers which sit under the cams. Of course you need to remove the cams to replace the shims. You don't need to if you are only checking clearance. Nearly fell out of my chair.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I did everything myself (even got a custom fork spring thing made) bar the valve check as I dont have the tools/talent. I needed 2 shims changed. But then they did screw the rocker cover gasket when reassembling, and then they screwed a major earth connection after fixing that, but once they fixed that it was all good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bruh. The shims sit under the followers which sit under the cams. Of course you need to remove the cams to replace the shims. You don't need to if you are only checking clearance. Nearly fell out of my chair.
Haha I simply mean that I doubt he will have to change any of the shims, which WOULD require removing the camshafts...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Remove cams to replace shims...oh, okay...sounds simple...not. Sounds like this could lead to the government version of "if it ain't broke...", which is..."if it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is...".

Got to be a better way...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiosity, how much is involved in the valve check (removal of parts to access, etc.)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Doing the 18k service myself, except for the valve adjustment dealer will do, they also service the forks,, they will get the bike torn down to the valve cover, I will remove the tank Airbox throttle bodies, saves me almost a grand right there.parts were 176.00 plugs , air, oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I had 22,000 miles on my late lamented '14 RR; I have 28,247 miles on my current '17 RR; I had 88,022 miles on my now sold K1300GT; all 18K services performed when due and not once has a valve been out of spec for these bikes. I have to go back to my '87 K75C (62,000 miles) to find the last shim adjusted valve motorcycle I owned whose valves were out-of-spec at one point and, per the mechanic, they were barely out-of-spec. That said, my most recent 18K service was in March '20, on the '17 RR, and cost $551 for all the labor including the valves; peace of mind, especially near redline, is priceless.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Going to hit 18,000 miles soon. My RR runs like a turbine, smooth as silk. Do you really need a valve check/adjustment at 18,000 miles? My concern is the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing. Why tear it down to mess with valves if the bike is as smooth as mine? Bike out of warranty, and the expense of the 18K service seems mostly in the valve check/adjust.

Thoughts?
I had mine done over 2 years ago. Everything looked great in the top end. Yes, it's expensive, but, wouldn't you want to catch an issue when it's a small issue vs. when it's a big issue?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts