BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 bmws1000rr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all got a 2021 bmw s1000rr awesome bike just got to 1000kms then winter hits so park it up for about 3 weeks go out to ride yesterday come home and notice a drop on yellow fluid on rim and misted front caliper then notice its on both calipers when I bought this I was told this had been only a usa recall and it has been fixed for 2021 will be ringing bmw tomorrow and getting it all sorted its leaking around the seals where piston is aswell hopefully got is early enough

Apart from that really enjoying the s1000rr

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,116 Posts
Yeah mint man we did a week down there in March in between lock downs. Not a bad spot for riding. The roadworks are a killer though. Some pretty bad sections were done when we there. Put the brakes on the whole riding fast thing unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 bmws1000rr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it can be a pain roadworks
Bikes in bmw have to find out what the fix is either calipers or rebuild kit just glad its winter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all got a 2021 BMW s1000rr
Call up your dealer. It's a known issue. Over in the States, our Transportation Department made BMW complete a recall for the calipers on 2020 & 2021 models. They replaced those with slow bikes (I'm on an XR) with Brembo's. All of the RRRRRRRRR's received Nissan's. I have a 2021 and the dealer replaced the Front Hays "BMW" with Brembos. Rears aren't recalled as far as I know.

Seems your's and other "BMW" calipers were manufactured by Hays. Somewhere in their quality control, they dropped the ball. I found notes mentioning the caliper piston positions were not cleaned properly, essentially leaving the metal exposed or shavings which destroy the seal OR the tolerance is off enough to allow fluid to bypass the piston seal.

I'll add, true to BMW form, they told my Government that the amount of bypassed brake fluid was "tolerable", within spec. Owners should follow the guidance in the manual and check the fluid level each time they ride. I.e. **** it, they can add some fluid!.lol

Either way.. Good luck...

Before someone chimes in with Brembo bought Hays. Brembo did buy Hayes Lemmerz's, these calipers were manufactured by Hayes Performance Systems. Both are US-based though... :mad:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey! Pretty sure there is a recall on the hayes caliper for newer bikes this year. Ask your dealer may be able to get a replacement for the nicer-looking brembos!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts