Rotobox RBX2 Carbon Fiber Wheel Special! - Don't want to miss this! - Page 5 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
Prompt delivery and well packaged, the quality and workmanship is almost impossible perfection, you are hard pressed to find a seam in the CF weave. It's like it was vacuumed formed from one sheet! I've always liked BST CF wheels but after seeing these the "patchwork quilt" look of BST quickly pales.

I was having fits with the front wheel fit and it seemed to not fit this bike. I wrote to Mani who called me within 10 mins with first class support. He jumped on the issue instantly calling distributors, Rotobox and even existing customers to do everything imaginable to sort this out fast. We exchanged pics with always fast responses from Mani. It was clear to me that he put new sales aside to focus on after sale service and support. He was on this like, well you know....

In the end it was all on me, I had loaned out my front stand and did not know that it got slightly bent, this skewed my axles making the wheel an impossible fit, even looking too wide. This stand tweak was the last thing to occur to me but after exchanging careful dimensions with Mani I could see that this wheel [I]should [I]fit. After realizing that it must be something other then the wheel I discovered the stand culprit after much head scratching. I hung the front end from the rafters and it went together perfectly with OEM like fit and exact clearances.

Mani took my apology for wasting his time with professional courtesy and a "That's what we do to stand out in the sea of the Internet"

Motomillion and Mani have a lifelong customer, thanks again Mani!

The bike is looking great Jeff! Thank you for the kind words, we are just doing our part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM

@Starpower. Looks fantastic. Now we need a ride report!

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMillion View Post
The data posted is for both wheels. They are surprisingly light, you know what I mean if you were to ever physically pick one up, its kind of like a mind game, because you don't expect them to be as light as they are before you pick them up.

You do not have to make any modifications. The DTC doesn't work with weight. As the__gooch posted, DTC looks at the data between the front and rear wheel speeds, and does calculations based on that.

As I wait for my S1000RR to arrive, I've been reading the manual and came across this page. If accurate, seems to indicate recalibration would be required:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cap0003.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	159266  

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle734 View Post
As I wait for my S1000RR to arrive, I've been reading the manual and came across this page. If accurate, seems to indicate recalibration would be required:
My read on this is that it only applies to changing the wheel size not its weight. These wheels are the same size as OEM's. I don't think anyone has to do a recalibration when opting for the BMW forged HP wheels that are almost as light.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Size remains the same, the weight is what changes, no re-calibration required.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
@Starpower. Looks fantastic. Now we need a ride report!
Ride is sublime! Not quite as flickable as my previous R6 or D675R but WAAAAYYY better, more like a well sorted 750. The other most notable impact and a real world response to DDC calibration concerns - The suspension is far more compliant in a big way, much ricer ride while well planted to the tarmac. This impressed me before I made my first turn! As expected the lighter wheel and harder drive out gets the front end light easier but it behaves.
wfo439 and eagle734 like this.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpower View Post
Ride is sublime! Not quite as flickable as my previous R6 or D675R but WAAAAYYY better, more like a well sorted 750. The other most notable impact and a real world response to DDC calibration concerns - The suspension is far more compliant in a big way, much ricer ride while well planted to the tarmac. This impressed me before I made my first turn! As expected the lighter wheel and harder drive out gets the front end light easier but it behaves.
One last question, did you mount and balance your own tires or trust a dealer to do it?

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMillion View Post
Size remains the same, the weight is what changes, no re-calibration required.
What is the durability on these wheels? I have heard in other circles that carbon fiber wheels have a shorter life span than forged/cast wheels.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpedc6 View Post
I have run carbon fiber, magnesium, cast wheels, etc on every generation of the BMW s1000rr and NONE of them will mess with the electronics. Anybody who thinks so please explain. Scientifically how it would? The lighter rear wheel will spin up more easily based on weight. I am currently using an oz forged aluminum wheel as a second wheel to the forged magnesium wheel. I use them both every weekend at the track and they don't mess up the electronics. That idea is absurd

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I DID just explain how it COULD, if the resolution wasn't fine enough.

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
What is the durability on these wheels? I have heard in other circles that carbon fiber wheels have a shorter life span than forged/cast wheels.
The Rotobox wheels do have a very good reputation, and I would say durability wise it would be almost as good as any alloy wheel. They might not last 50 years sitting on a field, but I would be confident enough to say if you don't physically damage them yourself, they will outlast your bike.

We've all seen those broken BST carbon wheels, but I have yet to see a broken Rotobox wheel. Does this mean BST's aren't good? Not really, BST has been around for a long time, Rotobox is a fairly new company. Rotobox does make hell of a composite wheel.

That being said, I can show you many pictures of broken OZ, Marchesini, OEM, Forged wheels as well. I've personally bent OEM wheel simply running over an apex at a track.

I know a handful of people running Rotobox's on track and never heard anything negative from them either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode