Data loggers questions - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
z00

Data loggers questions

This is the new kid on the block https://www.raceanalyse.com/english/

It's more known in EU. No need for cables, has all needed sensors (based on what I read).

Thoughts? Looking for something portable across bikes. Avoiding cables is a plus if possible, but more importantly an intuitive UI to easily know what to look for (RK3 takes forever to learn, gotta be a full time data analyst to make good progress with it, BMW engineer gave me a tour of it and I thought its UI was horrible, supposedly the RCK4/calib kit were improved in that regard).

Main ones are Aim SOLO 2 DL and race analyze.

@speedfin you dealt with either?
wfo439 likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 03:34 PM

This is what my friend uses who races in Pre-Moto3.

I recommend Track addict (on a phone) and https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Electron...sr=1-1-catcorr

Easy to use. No cables required. Cheap.
wfo439 likes this.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by simes007us View Post
Easy to use. No cables required. Cheap.
I already use trackAddict on my phone. But this is just a GPS correct? Can I get insights on acceleration, braking, etc... and areas to improve? If I just wanted a laptimer, that are some good options out there.

Is the UI the track addict app or GPS comes with its own?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:45 PM

You need a GPS beacon if your using track addict. Your phones GPS only works at 1HZ which is once a second. The linked GPS beacon will run at 10Hz so the data is much more accurate. You can travel quite a distance in 1 second at 150mph.

You'll notice that the speed icon is a drop-down under the the graph. You can change the view to braking and acceleration and it will show you where your braking. It's calculated unless you hook up extra inputs.

I used the Track addict UI to look at telemetry. I don't have time to stare at a laptop after every session at a track day.

The GPS Beacon just provides far greater data accuracy.
wfo439 likes this.

Last edited by simes007us; 07-31-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:32 PM

Timely question z00. raceanalyse looks awesome and I don't object to to the subscription. After looking at their website, I find no support link or contact link. At the very least they should have a list of all tracks in their software. If they had T-Hill, Sonoma, Laguna, Buttonwillow and Big Willow listed that would be enough for me...almost. I have to spend $600+ and create an account to get support or basic questions answered? Deal breaker. None of their videos are in English. Still seems "Alpha" to me. I may actually try Track Addict. My phone is 2 years old and I don't care if it hits the ground. All the graphs and squiggly lines on my Solo DL give me headaches. I'm not doing it right. Last year at Sonoma @smash adams showed me his data from his BMW data logger purchased from @the_gooch . In the graphic he showed me it was like reading "Dick and Jane." Watching him go through the data from his bike actually had me thinking about the Data Logger M. Off topic I know. We all input data differently. Give me a track map where I click on a location and it gives me the selected data every time. Give me f-ing squiggly lines that I have to convert to a location that is non visual? I'm not doing that.

I originally went with the Solo DL and Smarty Cam because the most relevant data was shown on screen despite crap video quality. I'm looking to upgrade too.
smash adams likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:49 PM

Race Chrono is worth looking at as well for apps. The linked gps unit before works with it as does the glo2 though whether you have Android or iOS one works better than the other (this probably goes for track addict as well).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
z00

I already use Trackaddict app, it's good for what it is, but I'm not a fan of keeping my phone in my suit or on the bike.

The two options I posted are my preference. @wfo439 race analyze site in English is not that great. It's used by a number of pros/ex-pros in EU. Their main market is not the US. Where did you see the monthly fee? A monthly fee is a dealbreaker for me. I have friends with AIM solo 2 (both laptimer and data logger), they have nothing but great things to say about it.

There are some other cheaper laptimers on Amazon that work as well. But main questions is whether to go for a data logger or is a laptimer enough?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 02:47 AM

If you only want a GPS lap timer then go for just that. If you want a datalogger then AIM Solo2 DL is really great. It takes time and you have to educate yourself to take advantage of a datalogger. If you learn how to read the "lines" the gains are significant. You can see where you loose and win time and most important you can find out WHY. If you know why you go faster, you can be a better rider without to much risk.

I went for the full package AIM MXL2 dash/datalloger and I am very satisfied with the results. I can even compare my laps with other riders and discuss the results with them that also help me be a better rider. If you have a datalogger you literally can see what you did in that turn or in that part of the track. You have DATA!

Here is a very good starting point

https://www.datamc.org/
z00 likes this.

You will never be arrested #58

Last edited by DrIoannis; 08-01-2019 at 03:01 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
This is the new kid on the block https://www.raceanalyse.com/english/

It's more known in EU. No need for cables, has all needed sensors (based on what I read).

Thoughts? Looking for something portable across bikes. Avoiding cables is a plus if possible, but more importantly an intuitive UI to easily know what to look for (RK3 takes forever to learn, gotta be a full time data analyst to make good progress with it, BMW engineer gave me a tour of it and I thought its UI was horrible, supposedly the RCK4/calib kit were improved in that regard).

Main ones are Aim SOLO 2 DL and race analyze.

@speedfin you dealt with either?
If you really want to know what you (and your bike) are doing, then the most important things are:
Twist grip position (and throttle valve position)
Front brake pressure
Lean angle
Traction control integer (if bike has TC)

So you need a datalogger which can get data from your bike, or you need a datalogger which connects to sensors/ has sensors.

Add front andrear suspension sensors, and then you know if have driven the bike to a situation where it can not do what you would it like to do. Thats the final level of data analysing.

If you want a cheap good GPS based system, then go for RaceChrono and XGPS160.
With 10 Hz GPS data acceleration graph is somewhat similar to throttle control and brake pressure+engine brake, and lateral acceleration and G-force circle gives you a some kind of idea of lean angle and what you are doing in total. And you can make data overlays to video with RaceChrono.
DrIoannis and PaniDropper like this.

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
But main questions is whether to go for a data logger or is a laptimer enough?
For you laptimer is enough. Then maybe later, if you grow up some day, a datalogger could be useful.
PaniDropper likes this.

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode