Data loggers questions - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Exact reason I picked Solo 2 basic. Shows me what I need on the screen right away, no hassle with anything else. Even if I'm good at math/phy and telemetry data, I don't get how riders will find the time to finish a session, put bike on warmers, eat/drink something, then connect to laptimer, analyze data for the next session. It would be overwhelming and we ain't pros lol. It could work during lunch maybe, but I like to take a nap or a massage during lunch

I have many rider friends with all kind of fancy dataloggers and dashes, not even a single one gets a laptop out and analyzes the data. When I asked why? They said "too much work, maybe at home", by the time one is at home, most of what they were working on is erased from short term memory. The only riders that make good use of data loggers are pro guys with their dedicated engineers. We have few of them running at VIR, RA, Barber, etc...
I'm one of those guys who analyzes data at home.

You don't need to have outstanding memory to remember N turns of the track and your typical behavior if you do this often.

From my personal experience, one of the easiest thing you can analyze is rear slide / TC.

Often happens when you re on gas out of turn, you feel rear sliding and naturally backing off. However if you look at data, you might see that TC was not even close to get engaged, hence making backoff on throttle unnecessary.

I would argue, if you are diligent and ready to invest time into learning this, it's all doable without a dedicated engineer.
z00 likes this.

Last edited by bmwbadboy; 08-13-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Exact reason I picked Solo 2 basic. Shows me what I need on the screen right away, no hassle with anything else. Even if I'm good at math/phy and telemetry data, I don't get how riders will find the time to finish a session, put bike on warmers, eat/drink something, then connect to laptimer, analyze data for the next session. It would be overwhelming and we ain't pros lol. It could work during lunch maybe, but I like to take a nap or a massage during lunch

I have many rider friends with all kind of fancy dataloggers and dashes, not even a single one gets a laptop out and analyzes the data. When I asked why? They said "too much work, maybe at home", by the time one is at home, most of what they were working on is erased from short term memory. The only riders that make good use of data loggers are pro guys with their dedicated engineers. We have few of them running at VIR, RA, Barber, etc...
Yes I understand it. It takes time to analyze data. That is why teams have so many people in their telemetry. Now for us "mortals" we need time and probably you cannot do it every session. I personally just do it after the end of the day. I usually go in a 3 day event. You can have a bling bling dash with colors etc but you just see lap times and top speed. You can do sooo much more. You can find out what is going on and not speculate. You just need to read more. Telemetry really helped me a lot to understand things and be a better rider with less risk. The last 2 words "less risk" is I believe our best gain. Go faster but safer!
z00 likes this.

You will never be arrested #58

Last edited by DrIoannis; 08-13-2019 at 03:38 PM.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
It was a tough dilemma between Solo 2 and DL (data logger version). After I learned basic one still does predictive laptimes, shows +/- laps. I did not see the need for DL. Yes, more data is better from DL to see TP and brakes. But I get similar data based on accel/decl without dealing with ECU cables, laptops, and software to look at stuff.
If I have understood correctly, you do need laptops, and software to look at stuff (data based on accel/decl) ?

So the only real difference in one plug and play cable to ecu?

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfinn View Post
If I have understood correctly, you do need laptops, and software to look at stuff (data based on accel/decl) ?

So the only real difference in one plug and play cable to ecu?
No, Solo 2 does not need anything. You can see all needed data on laptimer itself. It has builtin wifi if I wanted to look at some extras.

Solo2 DL does everything base Solo2 does, plus it requires an ECU cable, software, and laptop. My R6 does not have fancy metrics like big bikes do (lean angle, etc...). Sure knowing TC, TP, RPM, and brakes would help. But with hassle mentioned and enough GPS based metrics I decided to stick with basic Solo2.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
No, Solo 2 does not need anything. You can see all needed data on laptimer itself. It has builtin wifi if I wanted to look at some extras.
Solo2 DL display resolution 238x99 pixels.
Are you sure it is enough to see all needed data?

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfinn View Post
Solo2 DL display resolution 238x99 pixels.
Are you sure it is enough to see all needed data?
Prob not.

It shows enough, nothing will be perfect, and I'm not a pro racer. For the $300 something and peace of mind I think it will do the job. Will find out by the end of the month, have a track day to test it. The best way to go is the AIM dash, which has all of Solo2 DL built in. But for $2300, I would rather spend it on training.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
The best way to go is the AIM dash, which has all of Solo2 DL built in.
I would not by it, because when you crash...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode