Moving to Scottsdale - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By netaron
  • 1 Post By 1up5dn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Moving to Scottsdale

Hello Southwest Folks,

We will be moving from California to Scottsdale AZ next week; having lived most of my life in California, even though we have family in Arizona, I have no idea what to expect riding wise. Our son lives in Flagstaff, so I'm looking forward to the ride up through Sedona and Prescott areas to take the long way up to Flag.

I have researched the area some, but would very much like to find out more about good roads, ADV riding, and local trackdays. Also, if you are familiar with some ride meetups, I'd very much appreciate the info.

Thanks.

Aron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM
z00

Side question: What made you pick Scottsdale in AZ? Is not it gonna be too hot for you? Nothing beats Calif weather.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Very true! Aging family really, and also extended family, we miss everyone during the holidays. Big change as I'll miss the amazing norcal roads, but hoping to find some new roads and appreciate the dry heat
z00 likes this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 05:01 AM

Garage
Hello Aron, welcome to AZ!

If you do a lot of in town riding, you will be a bit disappointed at first as the roads here are mostly straight and flat. I moved here from upstate NY and really missed the elevation changes and the winding roads. However, if you are willing to ride a little to get places, there are countless areas that are worth the ride. Prescott, Payson, Sedona, Mt Lemon, etc.

As for track days, I am a coach for Desert Road Racing. We average about 1 track day a month, minus the hot months, June, July and most of August. We go to Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP), Inde Motorsports Ranch (Wilcox, AZ) and a couple of tracks at Wildhorse Pass Raceway. Rumors are swirling that we may have a couple of new facilities in the near future. There is another group that does track days, but as far as I know, they only go to AMP. Plus it is just a bit of a drive to go to Chuckwalla, or Vegas. I am planning on doing a track day at COTA in Austin, as well.

There are several meetup groups online. One place most have in common is the Pavilions in Scottsdale. It takes place every Saturday night and will have a wide variety of bikes each week. A couple of guys and myself are there most weeks. There are some that only show up every so often, when their particular group/club is going or they just happen to go that week. You never know what may show up there each week!

Hope that answers your questions a little bit. Let me know if you have any others and I will be happy to help and look forward to meeting you.

Chris....
netaron likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Chris! Fortunately I do not do a lot of town riding, but do have some time available during weekdays and hit the twisties here at least once or twice a week. And since I have to ride at least 30-60min to find them here, I noticed it'll take about +/- 45min to reach some of the roads you mentioned on the map.

Doing trackdays once a month sounds amazing since we live 30 minutes from AMP. I will be commuting to SoCal to teach some total control courses, our focus is mainly on rider safety, but there is a track module as well. There maybe opportunity to do a trackday either at Chuckwalla, or for a longer drive (or ride) at Buttonwillow (great track) while working in the area.

COTA sounds like an amazing track, I went there in 2016 to watch a race, and always felt it was the right track for the S1000rr, but could be wrong here lol. I'll pm you my number and follow up once we are settled.

Thank you again for the amazing info!

Aron

Last edited by netaron; 06-16-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 AM

Garage
No problem, Aron. I have raced at Buttonwillow and know it very well. It's a fun track. However, I think COTA will definitely top it! I have been to most of the MotoGP races there and a few F1 races also. I have done a few spirited "parade" laps around it on a Ducati, but look forward to getting the S1000RR out there at pace.

Also, one thing to note, AMP does have sound restrictions, so you will need a db killer or something quiet to pass the sound meters.

Let me know if you need anything else. Hope your move goes well.

Chris....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode