Liver issues....anyone got 'em? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Liver issues....anyone got 'em?

I just got diagnosed with NASH (Non-Alcoholic SteatoHepatitis) the other day, since my liver bloodwork recently came back kinda FUBARíd. So the Dr. ordered an ultrasound that showed abnormal liver density (inflamed/denser than normal), but at least no masses, gallstones, or lesions (ďItís naaaht a tuuumuh!Ē to quote Ahhhnold). I guess with NASH, from what Iíve read, thereís no ďcureĒ, and they really donít even know what causes it. Some things are thought to help (coffee, oddly enough, and naturally-occurring vitamin E), but nothing is conclusive yet. As yet there are no meds, but a few show promise down the road. I donít have any of the risk factors like obesity, diabetes, alcoholism, heavy ibuprofen or acetaminophen use, or Hep B or C (those are negative thankfully!), so, getting this fixed is going to be more difficult for me. Itís not like I can just take insulin or lose 40lbs. I think the only things I can reasonably do are having a better diet after work (I eat pretty healthy for breakfast and lunch), but even for dinner I donít eat badly. Iím just hoping that eating a lot more fish will help, and I love salmon, soÖ Man, I hardly even drink anymore, so what in the h3ll is causing this? Ah well. Hopefully it will get at least a little better, or get no worse, and it wonít go into fibrosis or cirrhosis, both of which have a high morbidity rate after years of the condition (pretty much going vertical after about 15-20 years). Thankfully if it doesnít go into either condition the morbidity rate isnít significantly higher than ďnormalĒ. Getting Olde is the suck! Kinda feel like my body is betraying me, especially since I really didn't do anything to have this issue. I hardly ever even drink a single drink anymore, and was never a heavy drinker. Yeah, I partied on the weekend when I was younger, but it was not like every day, and with very few exceptions over the years never blackout drunk or anything. Weird.

Anyone else get hit with this [email protected]? Should I START drinking heavily and kill it off quick so I can get a new upgrade? LOL

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:41 PM
Elk

I am very sorry to learn of your diagnosis.

Frustrating.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

'15 S1000RR
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I am very sorry to learn of your diagnosis.

Frustrating.
Thanks! Yeah, if I knew what I'd done to cause it I could point to it and tell my friends "Don't do that!" at least, but it's a mystery. If it was current heavy drinking I could point to myself and say "What a [email protected]$$ you were, look what you did!", but so far there seems to be no reason for it. Bad genes? Gah.

I'm starting to eat more fatty fish like salmon and eating more olive oil and drinking a lot more water so we'll see. Nothing else really TO do. If I find out anything that can help anyone else with liver issues I'll be sure to post up. Doesn't seem like much is known though.

I have several friends from back in my Jr. H/S and H/S days who have MS, and I can thank God that at least I'm not burdened with that! Or my good friends kid was diagnosed and is now in the hospital with Crohn's disease at 15! So, thank you Lord for what health I DO have.

Got both (L&R) rotator cuff surgeries coming up next year so that's gonna complicate things as well, hopefully the impact from one to the other will be minimal. Kinda hard to cook (or do anything else) with one hand!

Hopefully none of y'all will have anything like any of that happen!

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:44 PM
z00

Sorry to hear!

Many other variables can cause it: Genetics, blood transfer, etc.... alcohol also plays a role but not as much. Of course diet & life style.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 AM

Hang in there !!!!

Hang in there Cycle_Monkey !!!!!
You can make it,keep moving !!!
We eat more fish and we Got's to have our Black coffee among other changes we have made to our lifestyle.
KEEP moving,work out on a regular basis,Stay on 2 wheels you will Survive !!!!!
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Gotta go bleed for the Dr. again today. Hopefully the girl that takes my blood this time doesn't punch the needle clear thru the vein like the last one did. Left a big 'ol blood blister last time. Weird, because the first girl did an excellent job, the best I've ever experienced. I didn't even feel the prick of the needle!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 PM

Garage
Yep. Got the same. I'm....ehem....slightly over weight, but fit. My Doc thinks it might be a genetic predisposition to the condition. Just monitoring it for the past year. Apparently it's pretty prevalent. I once knew all the numbers and what they meant, but it's been lost at this point.

'15 S1000RR Motorsport Edition
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRob View Post
Yep. Got the same. I'm....ehem....slightly over weight, but fit. My Doc thinks it might be a genetic predisposition to the condition. Just monitoring it for the past year. Apparently it's pretty prevalent. I once knew all the numbers and what they meant, but it's been lost at this point.
Bummer to hear it! Yeah, I think it's a genetic thing, although I don't remember any of my family having the issue. Diabetes runs heavily in both my maternal and paternal sides, but luckily, all my sugar numbers are great (always in the low 90's, this time 94). So, for me, it pretty much has to be something genetic since I have no other risk factors.

Hope you remain healthy!
RRob likes this.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Garage
That suck to hear it. Hope this helps.

CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 02:42 PM

Garage
Very sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Things just start to wear out as we age I suppose.

Towards the end of her life, my Mother (who probably had one beer her entire life) was diagnosed with Idiopathic Cirrhosis. She had no warnings (I guess her Doc wasn't watching her very well - not that there was much he could have done to prevent it). I remember calling the house one Easter and my Dad said my Mother was lying down after vomiting a TON of blood. I freaked out and told him to call an ambulance. Turns out she had esophageal varices (think hemorrhoids at the base of the esophagus caused by high portal vein pressure) and one had ruptured.

Like your diagnosis, they call it idiopathic for a reason. They just don't know what causes it. Ironic in my poor Mother's case...my Father was an alcoholic and his liver was fine until the end.

Best wishes to you Cycle_Monkey. I hope you're able to manage it for a long time to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode