4-Wheeled Squids - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

4-Wheeled Squids

That's what I call those car/truck drivers who see a RR the same way a bull sees a matador's red cape. For whatever reason, the motorcycle seems to enrage them and they feel the need to get as close to your tail as possible. Speeding up is the worst solution, if they're inclined to do the same. Pulling over is the sensible thing to do, and let 'em go. Engaging with someone in possession of less than a full deck is a losing proposition.

Has this happened to you? Why do you think it happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
That's what I call those car/truck drivers who see a RR the same way a bull sees a matador's red cape. For whatever reason, the motorcycle seems to enrage them and they feel the need to get as close to your tail as possible. Speeding up is the worst solution, if they're inclined to do the same. Pulling over is the sensible thing to do, and let 'em go. Engaging with someone in possession of less than a full deck is a losing proposition.

Sure -- and it only becomes an issue on my thumpers usually. They don't get over 80-85 on the street so you gotta let them have their day. The rest of the time you just leave them behind...way...way...way behind, even on a 600.

Around here everyone's got a dual stack diesel and they try to roll coal on you no matter what you drive/ride, but I do agree engaging them isn't usually the smart move. Either pull over like you said or just use some extra throttle.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:23 PM

Quick blast if throttle and away. Easyer.
bennymx likes this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkgsxr View Post
Quick blast if throttle and away. Easyer.
Most of the time that works, but on a tight mountain canyon road with a diesel-powered nutcase who lives in those mountains on your tail, you may find yourself going too fast to make that blind decreasing-radius corner and wind up in the river, like the young rider who wound up with a broken neck. On a straight...you bet...leave 'em in the dust. Otherwise, screw your head on tight and be smart.
beech likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Most of the time that works, but on a tight mountain canyon road with a diesel-powered nutcase who lives in those mountains on your tail, you may find yourself going too fast to make that blind decreasing-radius corner and wind up in the river, like the young rider who wound up with a broken neck. On a straight...you bet...leave 'em in the dust. Otherwise, screw your head on tight and be smart.
It should be even easier to waste them on the twisties than a straight...
bennymx likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniDropper View Post
It should be even easier to waste them on the twisties than a straight...
Rockfall this time of year is frequent. Could be an issue in a corner during a high-speed duet.

Here's a link on the subject from Rider's Discount:

https://blog.ridersdiscount.com/how-...-a-motorcycle/

Note the statement in the article about speeding up as a way of dealing with tailgaters...i.e., don't do it.

Last edited by flyryder; 05-15-2019 at 08:47 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:21 AM

Garage
yeah this happens to me often.. sometimes in a 30mph zone, others at freeway speeds. if I have room to zip away through traffic, I usually do. on slow twisty roads, agree it isnít worth the risk of pushing limits of visibility, but if I have room to see then itís pretty easy to scoot away. I even had someone crowding up behind me in 5-10 mph stop and go traffic. easily 1/2 mile of cars ahead of us, nowhere to go. I pulled over to shoulder, they zoomed straight up to the next car, then I tucked back in. I wonder if theyíre mad/frustrated, or even paying attention to whatís going on, or just distracted with a phone call (or messing with the phone/apps/texting/etc). none of those sound good for a car following a motorcycle so I always look for a way out.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:

I guess it also depends on where we live. In the greater bay area California, this unfortunately has become the everyday common occurrence. I read this post last night, but was a bit tired from work to respond as I had a couple of fresh examples I wanted to share. I was heading home from work while it was raining and semi dark out. I entered 2 freeways with my bike blinker on to join traffic, both times, I got a good glimpse of the drivers understanding my intentions to enter the freeway, both times they should've yielded, but instead sped up rapidly to completely close the space I had in front of me. For the most part, when traffic is slow (common occurrence here) the majority of drivers are very generous when I lane-split. But something shifts and drivers get very competitive while driving at freeway speeds (80mph here on average at our 65mph limit).

From my own experience the reason "why" became a little clear to me in the business and finance world, when the word "multitasking" became a household moniker. Later, some companies found out that we only did one thing well at a time, we can think or joggle perhaps up to about 7 tasks mentally, but only 1 when it requires physical interaction, like typing. So, as companies increase salaries of execs, of course it has to come from somewhere. My job was actually to do exactly that as a consultant, which I left not that long ago.

The culture of having more, because others make it, "why can't I?" drove the need to find ways of making money fast, and lots of it. Then the culture changed in support of it. One of the ways it achieved said culture is through reducing the importance on shame and remorse, and the word ethics has all but disappeared from our vocabulary. Maybe the early 90's sex videos of the rich and famous started the reality tv revolution, but one day I woke up, everyone thought they were ok as is, and their driving reflected it in spades.

So if you are ok as is, and you need to multitask while driving (text anyone?) me on my RR or whatever bike or car for that matter, am just in their way of getting to their next big deal, even if that deal is fictitious. When was the last time someone waved or apologized for a driving mistake? Not around these parts. We don't need to improve, we're ok as is. It used to be as kids if any adult witnessed our causing trouble for others, driving too fast or whatever, they had an obligation to let us know immediately, it was usually firm, depending on the infraction and the adult. But now everyone is afraid to say anything.

Hard to fight entitlement. Maybe better parenting is in the cards.

So there you have my rant lol...

Last edited by netaron; 05-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:26 PM

If you can't drop any 4 wheeled shitbox in the twisties then you need to get faster.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
If you can't drop any 4 wheeled shitbox in the twisties then you need to get faster.
Or park your bike and hang up your helmet. Electric scooter time?
bennymx, netaron and SavageS1000RR like this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode