Cannabis - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Cannabis

The thread title probably got someone to look and see what the thread is about.

Any cannabis investors here? Got a favorite stock?

Serious question...this sector is either pure lunacy, or "the next big thing". Given individual states' and the Federal government's love affair with tax revenue, this industry's future seems assured.

If you'd told me this was going to happen when I was living through the '60's, I'd have been skeptical, to say the least.

Who says we don't live in "The Matrix"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 PM

Read thread title. Saw who posted it.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:54 PM
sro

That’s funny, Benny

US banks cannot finance this industry since it’s is not federally approved. Similarly, it can’t traded in the US market. You’re better off looking at international exchange. There are some investors buying up licenses. I’m sure they will sell off to tobacco companies. They’re really interested in this soace but can’t touch it due to federal regulations.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Right...I understand that, but 11 or 12 states have already legalized it, and several Canadian companies (it's legal on the federal level there) are staking out claims in anticipation of legalization not only in the US but in many other countries. If it were purely "recreational", this would not be a big deal. However, the medical and consumer goods markets are huge (think opioid-replacement drugs and cannabis-infused beverages, for a start). Major players like Altria are already getting a foot in the door (Chronos, a Canadian cannabis company snagged this one) and Aurora has hired Nelson Peltz to help them expand similarly.

I get benny's "meme" regarding my post, but there are some knowledgeable people on this board who aren't unaware of the potential for this market, and all I was soliciting was some of that knowledge, to add to what I already know.

Either this is a good opportunity, or it isn't. Wouldn't benny have liked to own Amazon when everyone laughed at their "plenty of revenue, but no earnings" beginnings?

Just a thought, and a request for some input.

Thanks. Oh...and I believe you can buy Chronos (CHRON/NASDAQ), Aurora (ACB/NYSE) and Canopy Growth (CGC/NYSE) on US exchanges. There are others, too.

Last edited by flyryder; 04-01-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 PM
sro

Yeah, I talked to a guy who is taking investment money to buy up licenses and facilities across various states. He is bullish on this. He sees pharmaceutical, beverage, and tobacco companies getting in on the action once is it federally legal. Just depends what the companies are controlling. Are they controlling the product or distribution?
maybeinoregon likes this.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 AM

And dont forget the cannabis industries growth has the feds attention too. Theyre currently discussing ways to ease the laws regarding banking and the cannabis industry. Once that happens, the flood gates will open.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Location: Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a treefort
Garage
I was up to 110,000.00 last january on 30k invested before all the markets took a major $hit and went down to 50k in a matter of 2 weeks. When the hemorrhaging stopped and gained back a bit I cashed out 15k worth of stocks to pay for half of my 30k bike (bike plus all the goodies i bought to start). I've since pulled most of my money out of pot stocks due to their bubble and over inflated prices based on speculation. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pay attention to companies P/E which is their price vs earnings ratio. Pot stocks are CRAZY high in their P/E meaning their prices are set to collapse sooner or later. Don't get caught holding the bag when the floor falls out below them. Sure there's money to be made but systematically pull your profits out until you've got your original investment protected and you're just playing with the houses money.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pay attention to companies P/E which is their price vs earnings ratio. Pot stocks are CRAZY high in their P/E meaning their prices are set to collapse sooner or later. Don't get caught holding the bag when the floor falls out below them. Sure there's money to be made but systematically pull your profits out until you've got your original investment protected and you're just playing with the houses money.
I don't disagree that high p/e ratios are often a warning sign, but in the case of nascent industries the rules go out the window. Applying the high p/e argument without regard to the maturity of an industry would have kept you out of Amazon, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook and many others in their early growth phases. Stocks with low p/e's have them for a reason... their growth has peaked and stabilized. Is there risk in cannabis stocks? You bet. Is there potential reward? You bet. Sounds like you did OK, buying the bike with some of your winnings.

If you want safety, stocks in general are probably not your best bet right now anyway, with the markets pumped on Fed steroids. I think this is a good discussion though...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:53 PM
sro

Evaluating P/E to assess stock or company isn’t the right measuring stick. Check out many tech companies with $1B valuation.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM

I had some play money lying around so I bought 170 share of Aurora when they were around 4-5$ a share. its made me 600bucks so far. Im going to hold it for the long run. In the process of buying a house so not to much play money lying around.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode