Ideal second bike discussion; what do you buy and why? - Page 5 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 AM
BTB

Has anyone jumped on the new 1290 superduke? I'm testing one in a few weeks because the BMW only seems to go to the track lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
Don't ask me why. You should just know.
Okay dumb question, do you ride these like a street bike, or like a dirt bike (push under on turn), or both?
post #43 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Okay dumb question, do you ride these like a street bike, or like a dirt bike (push under on turn), or both?
I'll take a stab at this and see if it starts some controversy. I'm going to say that it's not the bike that defines how you ride it but rather what you're asking the bike to do. If I'm trying to turn the bike around a very small radius, say as in a parking lot then I stay upright and push the bike down under me to turn it around. If I'm on a twisty road I use all that BP goodness they teach at the California Superbike School. That's my answer regardless of what bike I'm riding.

Take a look at how they run those police obstacle courses where they turn a big ass Harley around inside a box barely bigger than the bike's wheelbase. Same concept.

At low speed the lean angle isn't very critical to traction but you need a lot of lean to get the bike turned so you push it down into the turn. At speeds where traction is nearing the limit, then minimizing lean angle is more important.

Does that make sense?

'12 BMW K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 BMW S1000RR (for the track, also gone - I killed it)
'14 Kawasaki KLR650 (for the TAT)
'16 R1200GS (for the epic adventure)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R (for my inner hooligan)

post #44 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaharidan View Post
Honda Grom, because I can ride the hell out of it at the go kart track. And since I don't have a trailer all I need to do is strap it on my back and ride it over on my RR!
I too have a Grom for a second bike, its nice to be a able to take something out and literally ride it 100% at all times without a care in the world.

'17 Honda Grom Bright Yellow
'15 S1000RR Black Storm Metallic
Attack Performance Rearsets, Dieci83 Radiator/Oil Cooler Guards, Lamin-X Headlight Film, Lightech Chain Adjusters, MotoDynamics Flush Mounts, NRC Fender Eliminator, Puig DB Windscreen, R&G Tail Sliders, TankSlapper Paint Protection Kit, TechSpec Tank Grips, Woodcraft Case Covers, Woodcraft Frame Sliders, Woodcraft Axle Sliders, Woodcraft Swingarm Spools, Yoshimura R55-LE Slipon
post #45 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I'll take a stab at this and see if it starts some controversy. I'm going to say that it's not the bike that defines how you ride it but rather what you're asking the bike to do. If I'm trying to turn the bike around a very small radius, say as in a parking lot then I stay upright and push the bike down under me to turn it around. If I'm on a twisty road I use all that BP goodness they teach at the California Superbike School. That's my answer regardless of what bike I'm riding.

Take a look at how they run those police obstacle courses where they turn a big ass Harley around inside a box barely bigger than the bike's wheelbase. Same concept.

At low speed the lean angle isn't very critical to traction but you need a lot of lean to get the bike turned so you push it down into the turn. At speeds where traction is nearing the limit, then minimizing lean angle is more important.

Does that make sense?
Yes, thanks, I think that makes a lot of sense actually.
I think just the appearance alone of the bike, made me think I'd need to ride it differently, but it's got street tires, and it's on the street.
Looks like a lot of fun like a bigger Grom with more power maybe.
post #46 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller4169 View Post
I too have a Grom for a second bike, its nice to be a able to take something out and literally ride it 100% at all times without a care in the world.
I can't decide between the GROM or the Z125.. :/ any suggestions?

2016 BMW S1000RR
2014 Yamaha R6
post #47 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiyanMuscle View Post
I think either would be fine and a ton of fun.
One plus on the Grom, since it's been out for a while there are more after market items and probably a bigger community.

For the Z125 I believe it uses actual motor cycle size rims instead of scooter, it also has an oil filter instead of the old school spinner thing.

Flip a coin, get whichever costs less, or pick the one with the color you like best, I don't there is an incorrect choice.
SaiyanMuscle likes this.
post #48 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:40 PM

My other bike is a 2015 Yamaha FZ-07, works great for commuting and as a backup "rain bike" at track days.

John
post #49 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM

I like the 'sporty' 300's, either Ninja, R3, Rc390 or the new CBR300RR when it comes out.

You can track it, race it, canyon it, commute it, run errands around town, teach your girlfriend...
Top speed around 110, so it can decently survive in the highway.
Cheap and easy to maintain, easy on tires, low on gas.
shaharidan likes this.
post #50 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiyanMuscle View Post
Grom for sure! The Aftermarket for it is insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaharidan View Post
I think either would be fine and a ton of fun.
One plus on the Grom, since it's been out for a while there are more after market items and probably a bigger community.

For the Z125 I believe it uses actual motor cycle size rims instead of scooter, it also has an oil filter instead of the old school spinner thing.

Flip a coin, get whichever costs less, or pick the one with the color you like best, I don't there is an incorrect choice.
My Grom has a filter too. No oil spinner. Ohlins suspension cost me 250 for the forks LOL
They both have 12in wheels.

'17 Honda Grom Bright Yellow
'15 S1000RR Black Storm Metallic
Attack Performance Rearsets, Dieci83 Radiator/Oil Cooler Guards, Lamin-X Headlight Film, Lightech Chain Adjusters, MotoDynamics Flush Mounts, NRC Fender Eliminator, Puig DB Windscreen, R&G Tail Sliders, TankSlapper Paint Protection Kit, TechSpec Tank Grips, Woodcraft Case Covers, Woodcraft Frame Sliders, Woodcraft Axle Sliders, Woodcraft Swingarm Spools, Yoshimura R55-LE Slipon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode