Daily Commute Tire Option + Canyons - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Daily Commute Tire Option + Canyons

Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has run the Road 5's on the S1000RR and if they worked at all.

I have the tools and equipment to mount/balance my own tires and was considering the Road 5's for daily commuting and weekend canyon carving. I'd swap to a Q3+ or similar for track days next year and don't mind putting in the work to swap tires when needed. Maybe someday I'll have a second set of wheels.

I've run two sets of the Road 5's on a Yamaha FJ-09 and loved the tires. The FJ-09 is a little heavier and half the horsepower. I generally put around 8-10k miles / year on my motorcycles so I need a tire for commuting that will last a bit longer while also working at a street pace in the mountains. These tires were great for as fast as I wanted to go on the Yamaha FJ-09, but I've no clue how they might work with the S1000RR.

Even being gentle on the Metzler Racetec K3, they don't look like I'll get much mileage at all (They were on the bike when I purchased it).

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Also considering options like the Michelin Power RS, Bridgestone Battlax T31, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfist View Post
Hello! I was just wondering if anyone has run the Road 5's on the S1000RR and if they worked at all.

I have the tools and equipment to mount/balance my own tires and was considering the Road 5's for daily commuting and weekend canyon carving. I'd swap to a Q3+ or similar for track days next year and don't mind putting in the work to swap tires when needed. Maybe someday I'll have a second set of wheels.

I've run two sets of the Road 5's on a Yamaha FJ-09 and loved the tires. The FJ-09 is a little heavier and half the horsepower. I generally put around 8-10k miles / year on my motorcycles so I need a tire for commuting that will last a bit longer while also working at a street pace in the mountains. These tires were great for as fast as I wanted to go on the Yamaha FJ-09, but I've no clue how they might work with the S1000RR.

Even being gentle on the Metzler Racetec K3, they don't look like I'll get much mileage at all (They were on the bike when I purchased it).

Also considering options like the Michelin Power RS, Bridgestone Battlax T31, etc...
I'm at 31000kms +/- a few hundred and on my 3rd set of Racetec K3 RR tires same as came on the bike on delivery last year April. I like the feel and think the longevity I get from them is reasonable given the bikes capability to eat tires. I'd love to hear what other people chime in with as their tires of choice for commuting purposes + weekend fun in canyons. My bike will never see a track as I can't afford to replace it when I crash. I rode to Colorado last year and had a new set put on at 11,000kms then rode 7 days around the state through a lot of mountain roads then slabbed it home. Got 11k kms on that set before putting new tires on this spring. I've now put over 9k on this set and they look like they can take at least another 2-3k kms. If nothing else they are consistent for the riding I do and I commute a lot on my bike when the weather is nice. Car is for rainy days or cold mornings/evenings when riding to/from work wouldn't be fun anyways.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:05 PM
A B

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageS1000RR View Post
I'm at 31000kms +/- a few hundred and on my 3rd set of Racetec K3 RR tires same as came on the bike on delivery last year April. I like the feel and think the longevity I get from them is reasonable given the bikes capability to eat tires. I'd love to hear what other people chime in with as their tires of choice for commuting purposes + weekend fun in canyons. My bike will never see a track as I can't afford to replace it when I crash. I rode to Colorado last year and had a new set put on at 11,000kms then rode 7 days around the state through a lot of mountain roads then slabbed it home. Got 11k kms on that set before putting new tires on this spring. I've now put over 9k on this set and they look like they can take at least another 2-3k kms. If nothing else they are consistent for the riding I do and I commute a lot on my bike when the weather is nice. Car is for rainy days or cold mornings/evenings when riding to/from work wouldn't be fun anyways.
so you're getting 10k km out of k3's ??

I only got 3000 out of them. I can get 10k out of Rosso 3's if I'm gentle with them, but nowhere near your mileage...mostly commuting but with 2 track days and a week long scratching in the twisties.

1990 Carrera 4 | 2016 S1000RR | 2010 S1000RR (gone)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Rosso Corso 2
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:38 PM

my rear K3 only lasted about 5,000 kms. Worth it though as its a great tyre.

I recently put Roadtec 01's on one of my bikes, also a really good tyre. Handles wet roads really well and its pretty good for weekend scratching (but not as good as the K3). I would expect a much longer life out of them too.

2015 S1000RR (sold)
2016 Tuono
2017 R Nine T

<10K club janitor.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amok View Post
my rear K3 only lasted about 5,000 kms. Worth it though as its a great tyre.

I recently put Roadtec 01's on one of my bikes, also a really good tyre. Handles wet roads really well and its pretty good for weekend scratching (but not as good as the K3). I would expect a much longer life out of them too.
How many miles do you have on the Roadtec 01's? My experience with them was that they run flat down the center really early. I was getting some uneven wear towards the shoulders, but that was from an overly soft stock suspension issue on the FJ-09.

I've read a lot of good comparisons and reviews showing the Road 5 as a great all around tire, even on sport bikes. So I'm really leaning towards trying them, considering their lifespan. The pairs that I had on the FJ-09 maintained a nice rounded profile on the rear, even at fully worn. I treated metered on-ramps like drag trees and rode that bike with TC off and regularly floated the front wheel. The CP3 engine was a lot of fun, and I see why it gets the hooligan nod of approval.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
How many miles do you have on the Roadtec 01's?
Not enough to tell unfortunately, maybe only 2,000kms.

2015 S1000RR (sold)
2016 Tuono
2017 R Nine T

<10K club janitor.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:32 PM

You say you want to commute and do some canyon carving? It's a tradeoff, longevity vs. grip...buy the right tire for canyon carving and don't worry about the mileage...cause tires are a lot cheaper than bike parts! At least on the front!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivr View Post
You say you want to commute and do some canyon carving? It's a tradeoff, longevity vs. grip...buy the right tire for canyon carving and don't worry about the mileage...cause tires are a lot cheaper than bike parts! At least on the front!
While I agree that tires are cheaper than bike parts I don't see why there can't be as balance struck between longevity and grip. After all Michelin and many other tire brands are running 2 or in some cases 3 different compounds in one tire to provide just this balance of reduced wear in the center from slabbing it to and from places and soft grippy velcro like compounds near the edge to keep you from losing control. Add in all the fancy electronics our bikes have (DTC,ABS,DDC) and you can really dial in for fun on the twisties without having to buy 2 sets of tires between services. Track days well thats a different story and with no experience on a bike at a track and only reading/seeing pictures or videos and I can safely say that the best way to get the most out of a track day is to have the right training, proper suspension setup, and proper tires. I wouldn't want to trust road tires to sustain the workout a track can dish out hence why there's track only tires on the market.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Dont know how some get such high miles from the K3s when the front wears out super fast. They must weigh like 135 lbs or something.
But I would look at the Metzler M7 RR if I were you
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.

Last edited by Ravenbravo; 10-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode